News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Extracting TIZ Files (PSX)  (Read 497 times)

Lazermutt4

• View Profile
Extracting TIZ Files (PSX)
« on: January 23, 2022, 02:22:44 pm »
I'm having trouble extracting graphics from a PS1 game, stored as TIZ files.
(Converting them as-is with programs like JPSXDEC produces jumbled and corrupted graphics.)
In all honesty, I barely know what they even are, mostly going off the assumption that they're compressed TIMs.
And any searching just leads me to an obscure PS1 game called Tokyo Insect Zoo (TIZ).

Basically (assuming I'm right), I need a way to extract the TIMs, and then I can convert them to a more standard format for editing. (Which there's several programs for)

Does anyone have any recommendations for programs or methods that can accomplish this?

Master_Luke

• A Brazilian Romhacker
    • View Profile
    • https://www.romhacking.net.br
Re: Extracting TIZ Files (PSX)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 07:32:38 pm »
Hello.
To get people interest to help, you should provide the name of the game and a sample of the file. ;)
Hot saw Hot see
PROMOSSAUM PSN ONDINHA

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Extracting TIZ Files (PSX)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 08:55:31 pm »
QuickBMS is pretty much the only name in town. If QuickBMS doesn't support it, then you're probably on your own.

(It would be tempting to suggest they called it TIZ because they deliberately used the .zip deflate algorithm, but I kind of doubt you can just throw it at a Zip program and expect it to work.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!