[NES]Last Armageddon (Patch Completed - Topic Closed)

Started by BlackPaladin, January 20, 2022, 11:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackPaladin

First Step:  Inserting English text into Japanese ROM *CHECK*
Second Step:  Assembling table file for Japanese ROM *CHECK*
Third Step:  Identify locations of text in the Japanese ROM *CHECK*
Fourth Step:  Dump Japanese script into text files *CHECK*
Fifth Step:  Enabling Dual-Tile Encoding in NES ROM *CHECK*
Sixth Step:  Enlisting the assistant of a Japanese-to-English translator for the script dump *CHECK*
Seventh Step:  Enlist someone to render the text (dialogue) in the game single-spaced (instead of double-spaced) *I'm at that spot right now*
Eighth Step:  Editing script so that it all fits in the ROM *EMPHATIC CHECK*
Ninth Step:  Inserting translated dialogue in the game *CHECK*
Tenth Step:  Testing the game out *EMPHATIC CHECK*
Final Step:  Releasing the game patch *BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!*

A translator contact me about translating the NES script of Last Armageddon and have done a fantastic job!  (Thanks!)  Currently, I'm in the process of editing the script so that it fits in the ROM.  In the meantime, I'd like for someone who's knowledgeable in NES programming to render the dialogue text single-spaced (instead of it being currently double-spaced).  Please, feel free to contact me either here or on Discord if you can help out.  Thank you.  :)

Edit:  The single spacing worked, but I was also hoping that I can get up to eight lines of text displayed at once during the dialogue portion of the game.  I thought that if the single spacing was active, that would be possible.  Alas, it looks like it needs further hacking for that.

Edit 2:  The single-space hack is working fine.  However, another issue has come up.  This time, it has to do with any "yes/no" dialogue choices that may come in the game.  While getting the cursor to display "Yes" and "No" initially isn't a problem, the issue comes when selecting either choice.  The letters for "Yes" and "No" gets stuck on the screen.  Pluvius, is there a chance you can fix this?

Edit 3:  I've been testing out the game currently, and I discovered two things while playing.  One, I missed an area of untranslated text in the game.  I've managed to dump the area in question and sent it to my translator to have it looked over.  Two, the area in which the text in the 3-D Maze portion of the game... is COMPRESSED!  *GASP*  I'm going to need someone who can decompress this area so that an English font can be displayed in this area of the game.  With this out of the way, it'll be one less hurdle to get this game completely and properly translated into English.

Also, the arrow that comes up at the end of the dialogue flashes on top of the dialogue text.  Can you lower its position by one tile so that it won't appear in the middle of the text?  (FCE Ultra save state can be provided if necessary.)

:huh:

Edit 4: The game patch has been finalized and has been released to the public!

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6725/

BlackPaladin

Yes, it's happening.  I'm looking for a translator for Last Armageddon.  (No, not using Google Translator.)  I hope someone can help out with this.

Belairjeff

If you're still looking for a translator, I'd love to help out!

Glocknien

I saw the old translation it was bad. I thank you for new translation of this game.

BlackPaladin

Quote from: Belairjeff on June 15, 2022, 02:08:32 PM
If you're still looking for a translator, I'd love to help out!

I sent you a PM.  I hope you saw it.

BlackPaladin

I'm still looking for a translator for the NES port of "Last Armageddon" if anyone out there is reading this.  If you can, please contact me either here or on Discord.  :( 

P.S.:  Dual Tile Encoding (DTE) has been enabled in the NES ROM.  Hooray!

BlackPaladin

The Last Armageddon NES scripts are being translated, and I've been editing the scripts so that the text can fit in the ROM.  However, I could use some help from someone knowledgable in NES ASM to have the text dialogue in the game single-spaced instead of its current formatting (double-spaced).

Pluvius

Here you go.  Note that if you're using the dakuten-printing subroutines for anything, you'll have to rehack those after using my patch and make sure that those subroutines don't write anything to $61FF.  This only makes the dialogue single-spaced--making the menus and battle screen single-spaced would likely take a lot more work.

BlackPaladin

Quote from: Pluvius on September 11, 2022, 12:12:03 AMHere you go.  Note that if you're using the dakuten-printing subroutines for anything, you'll have to rehack those after using my patch and make sure that those subroutines don't write anything to $61FF.  This only makes the dialogue single-spaced--making the menus and battle screen single-spaced would likely take a lot more work.

Thank you very much for your contribution!  I applied your patch, and the hack worked.  I had hoped that this would also enable the game to display up to eight lines of text at once, but that wasn't the case.  When I applied your patch and attempted to add more line breaks in the dialogue's text, this happened.

The text is single-spaced, but only four lines could be displayed at once without issues.  Adding more line breaks could cause the text to get weird.

Pluvius, I thank you greatly for what you were able to do, but is it possible for you to have the game display up to eight lines at once when the dialogue text is displayed?  Thank you very much.  :)

Googie

I'm looking forward into diving in this game when it's released. :beer:

Thanks for working on this game. ;)

Pluvius

Try it again.  I assumed that you weren't using the space around $7D210 so I could insert some code.  Be careful to manually ensure that none of your text goes above eight lines per page; I had to bypass a safety check to get the hack to work.

BlackPaladin

Quote from: Pluvius on September 11, 2022, 07:29:28 PMTry it again.  I assumed that you weren't using the space around $7D210 so I could insert some code.  Be careful to manually ensure that none of your text goes above eight lines per page; I had to bypass a safety check to get the hack to work.

It worked!  Thank you so much!  :)

I may have spoken too soon.  I came upon issues with any Yes/No dialogue choices in the game's text, plus the "end of text arrow" at the end of the screen is actually in the MIDDLE of the game's text.  I'm hoping those two issues can be fixed as well.  :(

BlackPaladin

Quote from: BlackPaladin on September 11, 2022, 08:24:49 PM

It worked!  Thank you so much!  :)

Edit:  I may have spoken too soon.  I came upon issues with any Yes/No dialogue choices in the game's text, plus the "end of text arrow" at the end of the screen is actually in the MIDDLE of the game's text.  I'm hoping those two issues can be fixed as well.  :(
[/quote]

Pluvius

New patch uploaded.  I have removed the game's text-scrolling effect since getting that to work with eight lines would require extensive rewriting of the subroutine and probably quite a bit of extra RAM as well.

Note that on multi-page dialogues, you must have eight line breaks per page of normal text, adding extra line breaks to the end if necessary.  Furthermore, the yes/no prompts must be on a separate page with a certain layout, namely a line of text, two line breaks, the yes prompt, a line break, the no prompt, a line break, and the end-of-text break (IOW, the line of text should have a double space between it and the yes/no prompt, and there should be a total of four line breaks).  I could probably get around some of this by adding a page-break token to the control codes, but that would affect your DTE scheme.

It is likely that this hack will have broken something else on down the line.

BlackPaladin

I apologize for taking so long.  I've been very busy inserting, editing, and formatting the game's translated text.  As for the patch you've made... after applying it to the game, this occurs in the battle menus...

Each letter of the text displayed in battle has blue tiles directly above them.  As for the Yes/No prompt fixes you mentioned, I haven't checked on those yet.  (been very busy)  Is there any way you can fix the blue title error?

Pluvius

Caused by the text routine assuming for some reason that the RAM didn't need to be initialized.  Easily fixed.

BlackPaladin

Quote from: Pluvius on October 03, 2022, 07:44:10 AMCaused by the text routine assuming for some reason that the RAM didn't need to be initialized.  Easily fixed.

Sorry for taking too long.  I've been doing some extensive testing with my TL patch.  After using your most recent single-space patch, I'm afraid this happened in the battle menus.

Not quite ready but almost there...

I may have jumped the gun.  The single-space hack is working perfectly now!  No issues when it came to the game's battle menus now!  Everything is now working as intended!  Thank you so much for helping out!