Can a pro translate this 8 Eyes (FC) text talking about Islam and Christianity

Started by reyvgm, February 24, 2022, 12:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reyvgm

*no Google translation please*

The US version of 8 Eyes has three endings, but all three are just a generic congratulations message and doesn't conclude the story at all. The Japanese version, however, only has one ending that concludes the story much better with a very graphic description of why the statue is no longer gold-colored and something about muslims, christians and swastikas.

Can a pro take a stab at this text and make some sense of it?

(The hero of the game is called Bond, the last boss is called Ruth)

かくしとびら の おくには、ルースたちが、
あちこちから うばってきた、ざいほうと ともに、
にぶい いろに ひかる、ぶきみな にんぎょうが、
かざられていた。ところどころ に のこる

かがやきで、もとは、きんいろだったことがわかる。
いくども かさねられた、ざんぎゃくな ぎしき に
よって、にんげんの ちをそそがれ つづけた せい
で、 あかがね いろとも、なまり いろ ともつかぬ

ぶきみな いろに、そめあげられたのだ。
この、きみょうな にんぎょうこそ、その むかし、
テンプルきじたん に よって、すうはい されて
いたと される、でんせつ の バフォメット ぞう

なのである。イスラムきょう と キリストきょうの
りょうほうの やみ の せかい を つかさどる、
バフォメットーー このぞう を めざめ させた
ものは、せかい を しはいできると いわれている

ルースの どりょくにも かかわらず、バフォメット
の まぶた は とじたままだ。
そのことを かくにんした ボンドは、ぞうを もち
かえろうと、うでをのばした。

そのとき、 バフォメットの あたまに きざまれた、
じゅうじかの もようが、いっしゅん、かぎじゅうじ
に へんか したことに、また、その しゅんかん、
とじていた はずの まぶたが、うすく ひらき、

よこしまな ひかりを やどした ことに、ボンドは
まったく、きづかなかったーー

Lonkelle (Delta Emulator)

I had no idea about the FC version of 8-Eyes. This is something I'm very interested in too - and if someone translates this, I may just hack the text into the FC version and then replay the game. I never beat it as a kid and I tried A LOT.

sharksnack

I have no clue what this game is about, but I'd say it's along these lines:

--- Start ---
Beyond the hidden door lies a spot
decorated in treasures stolen by Ruth
and his followers, along with a creepy
doll giving off a dull colored shine.

You can tell the doll was originally
golden due to the bits that shine.
The doll had been used in countless
cruel and atrocious ceremonies, and
the culmination of human blood soaking
into it turned it into this creepy color
that isn't quite red (copper) or gray (lead).

This curious doll is none other than the
legendary Baphomet statue said to have been
worshipped by the Knights Templar in the past.

It's said that the one who awakens this statue
of Baphomet - the ruler of the nether (hell?) for
both Islam and Christianity - can rule over the world.

Baphomet's eyes remained closed despite Ruth's efforts.
After Bond verified that, he extended his arm in a
bid to take the statue home.

Bond did not notice that just then, the cross
that was etched into Baphomet's forehead changed into
a swastika for a brief moment, at which point the
eyelids faintly opened, and it harbored a wicked light.
--- End ---

I'm a bit iffy on the ending paragraph - not sure if it's the statue that became host to a wicked light, or if it was Bond. (I'm leaning toward the statue? I'm sure someone can correct me)

reyvgm

Excellent sharksnack!

Here's the story from the Japanese  manual in case it gives you context for the things you're missing:
https://www.ne.jp/asahi/hzk/kommander/rv8eyes.html

I found a rough translation of the bit you're not sure off, maybe it can give you some context too:

"Baphomet presides over dark sides
of both Christian and Muslim.
Allegedly the man who awoke the
doll can rule the world.

At that time, a cross pattern
engraved on the statue's head
metamorphosed to a swastika just
for a moment, and on the same moment,
the eyelids surely closed open slightly,
and catch a evil gleam in eye,

but Bond never noticed those
phenomenon at all."

sharksnack

Evil gleam in its eye makes sense given the context.

I wasn't sure what to call the 闇の世界 (literal is dark world) shared between Islam and Christianity, but I skimmed the wikipedia article about Baphomet and it mentioned it's sometimes used synonymously with satan or such, so I figure ruler of hell might be the best match? But someone more familiar with both religions may have a better idea.

Kind of sounds like a game that twists a bunch of real world religious stuff in an attempt to look cool, haha. Interesting idea, but I can understand why they opted to leave it out for a localization considering a bunch of people would be offended by it.

reyvgm

Quote from: Lonkelle (Delta Emulator) on February 24, 2022, 05:11:30 PM
I had no idea about the FC version of 8-Eyes. This is something I'm very interested in too - and if someone translates this, I may just hack the text into the FC version and then replay the game. I never beat it as a kid and I tried A LOT.

That's pretty much the only text the Japanese game has, other than a few lines here and there when you get certain items. So if you can make a translation patch, go ahead!

Quote from: sharksnack on February 25, 2022, 12:42:41 PM
Evil gleam in its eye makes sense given the context.

I wasn't sure what to call the 闇の世界 (literal is dark world) shared between Islam and Christianity, but I skimmed the wikipedia article about Baphomet and it mentioned it's sometimes used synonymously with satan or such, so I figure ruler of hell might be the best match? But someone more familiar with both religions may have a better idea.

Kind of sounds like a game that twists a bunch of real world religious stuff in an attempt to look cool, haha. Interesting idea, but I can understand why they opted to leave it out for a localization considering a bunch of people would be offended by it.

Oh Nintendo would have been the first one to say "no no no!" :P

Thanks again for the translation!

snark

The context is not doll, but idol. There are myriad legends of Baphomet, בפומת using the Atbash cipher subsituting the firat letter for the last letter in Hebrew) becomes שופיא‎ which is sophia or wisdom in Greek. According to the chroniclers of the crusades Anselm fe Ribermont, Baphomet was a corruption of Mahomet. This was used by king Phillip to defame the Templar Knights. Michelet's theory was that in case of capture or torrure by Saracens, the templars would be conditioned to commit blasphemy in mind only and not in heart. "BAsileus philosoPHOrum METaloricum"... King of the Mwtallurgical Philsophers" is an anagram of the alchemical principle Coagula Solve. The house of Ruth is also an allusion to the pillar of mercy and severity, one of eliphas Levi's mysteries of the baphomet. In this context you can say the shadow world between Christianity and Islam, although netherworld or twilight world would be more appropriate in the context.  >:D PM for questions and context, I have played both games.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

sharksnack

I mean yeah, it clearly serves an an idol. But it'd be odd to call the object an idol directly, I think. The narration does a bit of buildup to the reveal of the object being the legendary Baphomet statue, and personally I haven't heard others use the word "idol" when trying to point out an object - they tend to go with more common words like figure, statue, doll, painting, plush, etc. before using idol as a noun, even if the object is an idol of something. (But perhaps it's just me not having much exposure to religious settings, and using idol in that way is actually common? Who knows.)

snark

Go with statue or graven image. It would be interesting to see the completion of this translation.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Pennywise

This game has piqued my interest, so I started working on it. Maybe I'll have a completed translation this weekend.

snark

Quote from: Pennywise on April 29, 2022, 09:06:09 AM
This game has piqued my interest, so I started working on it. Maybe I'll have a completed translation this weekend.
Dro000ol.....  >:D