News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: English translation for Planet Laika released  (Read 4234 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: English translation for Planet Laika released
« on: February 14, 2022, 02:25:15 pm »

Update By: Cargodin

Laika, a timid radio tech with DID, is tasked to join a survey unit headed to Mars to investigate the failure of Earth's previous terraformation attempton the planet.

Not only are there rumors that monsters have taken over, but the entire surface is contaminated by a miasma that triggers hallucinogenic responses in the human brain.

Can the survey unit members aboard the Phoenix uncover the planet's secrets in time? Or will [all] their traumatic pasts finally catch up to them?

Created by many of the same minds behind Kowloon's Gate, and co-developed by Zeque and Quintet, the game was published in the year 1999 by Enix.

This patch translates the entire game from Japanese to English.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Griever_GF

• View Profile
Re: Translations: English translation for Planet Laika released
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 06:18:35 pm »
Is it classical turn-based JRPG + some survival horror atmosphere? Like Parasite Eve 1. Looks intriguing.

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 09:29:42 pm »
Is it classical turn-based JRPG + some survival horror atmosphere? Like Parasite Eve 1. Looks intriguing.

It's a lot closer to an adventure game or a vn than a JRPG or survival horror. It prioritizes the text-heavy story over any intensive party management or stressful combat systems. The battle system is closer to pong with a health bar. I hope that helps!

kaamos19

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 04:05:53 am »
Congrats with these release, great job. One of Quintets latest games, I'm curious if I can feel their spirit in this game. 

Wendell

• View Profile
    • Superman Summaries
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 09:00:00 am »
Haha, Pong with a health bar? Awesome! Looking forward to trying this soon!
Read my reviews of early Superman comics at
Superman Summaries!

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 04:02:17 pm »
Thanks to the amazing Cargodin and all the staff involved in this great work!

kaiisen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 11:11:05 pm »
Yeah, the battle seems to be very repetitive, but the game's atmosphere and story have got me hooked. Graphics is cool for PSX as well.

Thank you for translating!

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 03:07:06 am »
It must've been a legendary drug trip at the Quintet/Zeque offices for them to come up with this game. :P Reminds me of a mixture of Stanislaw Lem's and Philip K. Dick's books with some obligatory Japanese furry elements. :D

Amy Symilton Gamequeen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 11:40:38 am »
It seems that there was a glitch for the patch. When Laika decided to sleep in Cell 13, Cosma will visit him and give him the 4th stone. Instead of taking, the item will looks like it jumped right to you (frame wise) and pressing any keyboard button won't do anything to make Laika take the stone and so you are stuck in that one scene forever. At this rate, there's nothing you can do than load previous save to start this scene again. This kind of glitch happens in ePSXe emulator and needs to be fixed later on in the next patch update 🤔

d0pefish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 12:04:13 pm »
This is a strange game, I've never played anything quite like it. its a very trippy confusing story but I like it so far, I'm about 6 hours deep right now. The game seems fully playable but I have notice some cut scenes that place new text directly over old text that seems like it should of cleared but you can still make out what it says and it doesn't crash the game or anything. I'm using the beetle psx core in batocera 33, I think I've noticed it happen about 3 times. Other than that its been smooth sailing. 

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 04:30:53 pm »
This is a strange game, I've never played anything quite like it. its a very trippy confusing story but I like it so far, I'm about 6 hours deep right now. The game seems fully playable but I have notice some cut scenes that place new text directly over old text that seems like it should of cleared but you can still make out what it says and it doesn't crash the game or anything. I'm using the beetle psx core in batocera 33, I think I've noticed it happen about 3 times. Other than that its been smooth sailing.

Hi there! Thanks for leaving feedback like this. I have straight up not seen something like that in the patch, but it also doesn't sound like an emulation issue. Can you provide screencaps or descriptions of the scenes if you remember and/or next time you see it?

Thank you for taking the time to play!

d0pefish

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 07:04:24 pm »
Yeah I'm about to sit down and play a few hours tonight. I'll see if I can grab a screenshot if it happens again or I think there was one that happened pretty close to the beginning so I may just go back and try try and trigger that one. I read the note about it being an emulator killer and it being playable on mednafen which is why I was using the beetle-psx core as its a port/fork of mednafen for retroarch. But yeah I'll try and update later with some screenshots..

edit.. had it happen right after you land on mars.. heres some shots. first set is no shaders, second set is heavy shaders. ( I was testing to see if shaders caused it)
https://ibb.co/t8S0G34
https://ibb.co/Yp0k0YM
https://ibb.co/SmsGQCt
https://ibb.co/j5ZYdgH
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 07:51:21 pm by d0pefish »

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2022, 08:19:46 pm »
Yeah I'm about to sit down and play a few hours tonight. I'll see if I can grab a screenshot if it happens again or I think there was one that happened pretty close to the beginning so I may just go back and try try and trigger that one. I read the note about it being an emulator killer and it being playable on mednafen which is why I was using the beetle-psx core as its a port/fork of mednafen for retroarch. But yeah I'll try and update later with some screenshots..

edit.. had it happen right after you land on mars.. heres some shots. first set is no shaders, second set is heavy shaders. ( I was testing to see if shaders caused it)
https://ibb.co/t8S0G34
https://ibb.co/Yp0k0YM
https://ibb.co/SmsGQCt
https://ibb.co/j5ZYdgH

Oh  :-X
So uh...these might very well be your setup or how you're running the game somehow. I have never seen it get this bananas, and other streamers covering this particular scene aren't running into this either. If you can, you might want to experiment with this one on a pc woth different emulators to see what clicks best.

d0pefish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2022, 09:57:44 pm »
ok, so its just me then, I got at least 2 other options on batocera  I can switch emulators to duckstation or the swanstation core. It seems to work on both of those too. I was just using beetle because I thought it was the best option after I read that readme about mednafen.

brut

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2022, 04:15:00 pm »
does it work on real console or it's emulator only?

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2022, 05:34:35 pm »
It's a lot closer to an adventure game or a vn than a JRPG or survival horror. The battle system is closer to pong with a health bar. I hope that helps!
In this case it's not RPG at all (I know there is no EXP or level there). It's an adventure with puzzle elements.

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2022, 05:57:33 pm »
In this case it's not RPG at all (I know there is no EXP or level there). It's an adventure with puzzle elements.

I think this misconception stems from the developers calling it an RPG in Japanese press of the game.

You do (sort of) control levels of three different evils that act sort of like the overloading bar in Galerians or Dragon Counter in BOFV Dragon Quarter. If you don't keep the levels under control, you can get a game over from any one of them maxing out. However, it's particularly hard and time-consuming to even do this, so the whole feature goes largely unnoticed unless players go out of their way to max out.

There are very few rewards for dogging the evil meters, but controlling the evil meters to manage which characters appear when and where does give extra layers to the game's story, and might give some players a little replay value. To that end, it could count as an RPG.

AAA992

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2022, 03:43:00 pm »
Thanks a lot for this, the story kept me hooked until the end. Great short game.