["WARP WORLD 4"] to ["VOUS AVEZ ATTERRI AU MONDE 4"]
1. Immediately following the screen update instructions for the original warp text, the only screen update instructions that are actually used are the next 9 bytes for the CONTINUE and RETRY bullets. The following patch copies those screen update instructions 16 bytes later to make room for the longer warp text. (This overwrites some unused screen update instructions within that same portion of the ROM. When these bytes get copied to RAM, everything still fits in the original RAM space used without reaching the RAM positions afterward that are used for something else.)NES file offset hex: value hex14650: 21 6A 01 FB 21 AA 01 FB 00
(The values are PPU address high, PPU address low, length, space, PPU address high, PPU address low, length, space, end.)
2. Update a pointer table with the new position of the RAM copy of the screen update instructions above for the CONTINUE and RETRY bullets. (The original value is increased by decimal 16 [hex 10].)1DC36: B8
3. In the code that blanks both bullet positions in the RAM copy then writes the bullet for the selected item, update the RAM addresses of the bullet positions to the new values. (The original values are increased by decimal 16 [hex 10].)1E749: BB1E74C: BF1E751: BB
(Note: In a previous patch to update the CONTINUE and RETRY text
, there are patches to code that runs when the screen is first painted. That code blanks out the RETRY bullet and updates the continue digit in the RAM copy of the screen update instructions for the CONTINUE and RETRY text. In the patch above, the code mentioned runs when you press SELECT to change the selected item. It blanks out the both bullet positions in a different RAM copy, then adds back the bullet for the newly selected item. So the patches do not conflict with each other and both are needed for the complete translation.)
4. At the point in time the warp text is displayed, the character graphics are missing a "Z" character.
The same character graphics set is used for the world title card screen and the warp text screen. In the world title card text "WORLD 1-1", the "-" uses the same position used for "Z" in other points in the game.
There are four sets of character graphics for the different world types (grass, sand, ice, and clouds). These different graphics sets are used to display the little landscape picture on the world title card.
The warp text screen uses the world title card graphics set for the destination world you are warping to, so all four sets have to be updated to add a "Z" character. I put the new "Z" character in empty character FA, right before the character FB used for the spaces.307B0: FE 0E 1C 38 70 E0 FE30FB0: FE 0E 1C 38 70 E0 FE317B0: FE 0E 1C 38 70 E0 FE31FB0: FE 0E 1C 38 70 E0 FE
5. The new longer screen update instructions for the warp text.1462C:21 C2 1C EF E8 EE EC FB DA EF DE FA FB DA ED EDDE EB EB E2 FB DA EE FB E6 E8 E7 DD DE FB D1 00
(The values are PPU address high, PPU address low, length, "VOUS AVEZ ATTERRI AU MONDE 1", end.)
6. In the code that updates the world digit in the RAM copy of the screen update instructions, update the hard-coded RAM address of the world digit.1E78A: B2