News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Megami Tensei II for the Famicom Translation Released  (Read 7003 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

A complete translation of the original Megami Tensei II for the Famicom is presented for everyone to enjoy. It is the hard work of Pennywise and Tom with the help of abw and FlashPV. A translated manual is also included with the release thanks to FCandChill and Almendrita.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Fredde

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Megami Tensei II for the Famicom Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 11:30:13 am »
Holy moly! It's finally here! I've been looking forward to this for so long, and now I can finally play the original Megami Tensei 2! Huge thanks to everyone involved!

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 02:21:14 pm »
Thank you for releasing your translation patch for Megami Tensei II for the NES/Famicom!  This will be another RPG to add to the pantheon of RPGs I will be playing!

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 05:43:42 pm »
Superb way to end the year! I found it strange when in the last update Pennywise said nothing about MT2, so I supposed it was made on purpose and was hoping for an eventual surprise, but didn't imagine it'd be so soon, hehe.

Congratulations and a million thanks to everyone involved. Happy new year to everyone!

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 09:01:27 pm »
I'm experiencing an issue where I fight Moloch, kill him, and then the fight seems to end but loops back around to another fight with Moloch, but there is no enemy sprite.  This keeps going seemingly indefinitely.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 09:10:50 pm »
You'll have to send me a savestate before the battle if I'm to do anything.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:39:50 pm by Pennywise »

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 10:16:36 pm »
You'll have to send me a savestate before the battle if I'm to do anything.

Here's a save state created with the Mesen core in Retroarch.  I also included the SRM at a nearby town just in case.  If you need anything else, let me know.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 11:34:55 pm »
Well, that state isn't compatible with the regular version of Mesen for some reason. But based on that save, something went wrong with the Treasures and is likely the root of the issue. Basically the RAM got corrupted and added a bunch of junk to the Treasures. You game is basically broken, but I can probably send you a modified save once I figure everything out.

Well, nevermind. It appears there some kinks I still need to work out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:54:16 pm by Pennywise »

Aeana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 12:43:27 am »
Oh, that's a shame. Well, even if you can't manage to salvage my save game, I hope you are able to figure out what happened so it doesn't happen to anyone else. 🤞

EDIT: Using your hint, I looked at my treasures list in game and it had a whole bunch of normal items in it.  I loaded a much older save state and noticed it was fine. Using the information at this page, I was able to find out where the treasures are in RAM and comparing the two save states, I think I managed to fix my treasure list.  I am now able to beat Moloch and get the Lost Orb just fine.

EDIT 2: I managed to finish the game. I watched the treasures list in memory while I was playing, and I noticed that any time it removes a treasure, it actually removes the byte and shifts all of the memory left.  Could this be how it got messed up? 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 09:45:54 am by Aeana »

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 09:45:59 am »
That's good to hear. I'm leaning towards the issue possibly being caused by a RAM conflict between the Treasures and the demons stored in the Devil Analyzer. They're both stored next to each other and it's possible that perhaps you can get enough Treasures that they would kinda meld together and muck things up. I did have to alter RAM in the translation and move stuff around etc to make room for the longer player names.

You probably are right about the memory getting shifted left that messes up the game. I haven't been able to confirm, but when you get the Demon Analyzer and lose a Treasure, it'll shift the back an entire memory range that includes the demon analyzer data. I suspect it would eventually overlap with the Treasures and thus cause this issue.

Anyhow, I've got an update for some minor code fixes and minor text updates. I'll probably release another update that addresses this above issue once I get enough time to test it out.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 11:49:14 pm by Pennywise »

motke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 09:39:42 am »
File CRC32: CBB8C4CC

Is this an iNES 1.0, iNES 2.0 or UNIF ROM? I have the correct unheadered ROM, but I'm having trouble producing the correct header. Maybe Pennywise can help me by just publishing the 16 bytes of the header?

Alopex

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 05:07:55 am »
What ROM am I even supposed to use? I'm trying the online patcher and none of the current redump copies of this game match whatever CRC this patch wants, not unheadered, not iNES, not NES2.0, they all say checksum mismatch.

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 02:21:56 pm »
I do believe the ROM uses the 2.0 header, which I believe is correctly set after inspecting it.

4E 45 53 1A 10 20 33 18 30 00 77 00 00 00 00 00

I suppose I could add another patch for the 1.0 header version, but I'd have to find it again. The problem is that when I made a project folder years back, the ROM wasn't properly labeled as Rev A and so I downloaded a new ROM with what I assumed was the latest and correct header. But if you use the online ROM patcher on this site, checksum problems go away.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 03:23:14 pm by Pennywise »

Retroplay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 06:43:20 pm »
What ROM am I even supposed to use? I'm trying the online patcher and none of the current redump copies of this game match whatever CRC this patch wants, not unheadered, not iNES, not NES2.0, they all say checksum mismatch.

I had the same issue with bps patch but there's an easy workaround.
Use the xdelta patch on a headered rom, make sure to disable checksum verification.
Open the patched rom in a hex editor and insert NES2.0 header.
4E 45 53 1A 20 20 32 18 30 00 70 00 00 00 00 01

Profit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:16:41 pm by Retroplay »

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 07:15:52 pm »
Can't thank enough for this AMAZING work.  Tom as always showing his quality, and Pennywise with his mastery.  And add help so valuable as the given by a crack as FlashPV or also abw with his nice job in hacking.

Thanks for your great dedication, guys!

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 12:04:00 am »
I remember when I made a thread asking for help with hacking this game when I was working on my translation of this game, and Pennywise alluded to a translation project being worked on.
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20152
That was in 2015... flash forward to 7 years later and you've finally released it. Bravo. I'm very excited to play this game with a full translation.

Quitam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 05:01:28 pm »
Thank you very much for the translation. It's been a blast.  :thumbsup:

I just encountered a bug near the end. When I give the gorgeous set to the fly, the dialogue loops indefinitely. I've been using the v1.01.
I guess it's an issue similar to what Aeana encountered, but I don't have the technical knowledge to understand or fix this...  :(
Here's a link for the save: https://anonfiles.com/Dd52gbC1x8/MT2_-_Fly_bug_rar

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 03:33:09 pm »
https://yojimbo.eludevisibility.org/Stuff/MT2.sav

Rename that save to your ROM name and update to the latest version. I also noticed a minor bug, which I'll fix.

Quitam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 04:26:59 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to fix this, Pennywise!

P41R47

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2022, 06:29:32 pm »
Hi, I would like to thanks all the people involved on making this translation for a game i been waiting to play for really long time. Its fantastic. I been playing this translation for a few days and just recently saw that it got an update with bug fixes.
Its my save file still compatible with the new update?
I'm just right up after shinjuku, after killing Mammon.