News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest 3 (SNES) English bugfix  (Read 4710 times)

Special

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest 3 (SNES) English bugfix
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 12:32:46 am »
One of my favorite memes applies to this situation. It is a picture of Kermit the frog, drinking a cup of tea and saying "Not everyone knows this, but you can read something on the internet that you don't agree with and just go on with your life."

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 01:30:25 am »
He has done us fans a great service in giving us a bugfixed English patch for this game after so long.  That was the scope of his project here.  Nothing else.  Changing DQ Translations' English script was not in his project scope.

Right, I think you have caught the essence of this matter.

Felipefpl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 03:22:58 pm »
Do you have another project related to dragon quest in mind? In case you dont would you accept a suggestion?
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 05:53:47 pm »
Do you have another project related to dragon quest in mind? In case you dont would you accept a suggestion?

Yes, I accept it.
I'm listening.

the_grobe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2022, 06:58:54 pm »
I'm almost finished with your DQ3 patch, and it's truly perfect.  thank you so much for this.

Yes, I accept it.
I'm listening.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but I've got a good one.  Magno did some really good hacking work on his spanish translation of Star Ocean (https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3736/).  He fixed a handful of bugs (https://magno.romhackhispano.org/).  I would truly love to see the DeJap script applied to his hack, along with english translations for the opening subtitles and the yes/no boxes (these things were left untranslated by DeJap).  I think that would bring the English translation of Star Ocean in line with the spanish translation.  This may or may not be your cup of tea, but Star Ocean is an all-time favorite of mine, so I had to ask.

cheers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:46:56 pm by the_grobe »

Felipefpl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2022, 08:06:56 pm »
Yes, I accept it.
I'm listening.

I was wondering if you could make a ips or xdelta or bps patch for the party system of dragon quest 4 for NDS, i know it's a different and likely more complicated system from SNES but all the steps to make a patch for this are complicated:

https://github.com/concreted/dqiv-nds-en-script-patcher

This version is my next step after i play with your patch later (Playing Lunar 2 Un-working Designs Now)
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 01:39:35 am »
Felipefpl,
but what happens to the party system in DQ4 for NDS?

I think the proposal of Star Ocean that the_grobe made me sounds more interesting. At least, with DQ4 I don't know what you mean.

By the way, why DQ4 for NDS and not for PSX? What's the difference?

the_grobe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 01:44:13 am »
I think the proposal of Star Ocean that the_grobe made me sounds more interesting. At least, with DQ4 I don't know what you mean.

If this is something you actually look into, please allow me to help however I can.  I don't have any hacking skills, but I can edit graphics, if need be.  I'd also be happy to do any beta testing necessary.  I'm excited that you're even intrigued.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2022, 05:12:45 am »
About Star Ocean, I'm all for it! (not that this means anything coming from me) Star Ocean's a real jewel of a game and a Rod touch to it would be great.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2022, 12:17:39 pm »
If this is something you actually look into, please allow me to help however I can.  I don't have any hacking skills, but I can edit graphics, if need be.  I'd also be happy to do any beta testing necessary.  I'm excited that you're even intrigued.

Grobe, I see you really interested, man. Okay, I will try. But I'll be a little busy with two other very challenging translation projects to Spanish. That's the reason I delayed until December with porting my own Spanish patch of DQ3 to English, too. If you can provide me any information you're facilitating pretty much the things, 'cause I get that with another mood.

But please, guys, don't ask me to re-translate stuff if the English translation is not crappy, but just translating those Japanese strings that were left untranslated by Dejap, as it's logical and might be. Dejap guys (they did the translation, no?) tend to be pro, and I don't consider myself authorized to discredit their historical contribution by adding my own stuff when I'm not even native and might do it worse.

I'd do this for making the English-speaking community a favour, in case it will be actually materialized. It's not a project that I'm jumping of hesitation and euphoria to do it, like it tends to happen the first days I manage to see the first words in Spanish beautifully inserted in game into an RPG that has trapped my interest and attention. But if I have information enough to know where to start, at some point of these next months I will do it, hopefully after I finish my current translation (that'd be after a month more or less, God willing).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:24:41 pm by RodMerida »

Felipefpl

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2022, 03:35:55 pm »
Felipefpl,
but what happens to the party system in DQ4 for NDS?

By the way, why DQ4 for NDS and not for PSX? What's the difference?

The version of DQ 4 for NDS looks better plus the psx version wasnt translated to english, more info about party chat can be found in the link below:

https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Party_Chat

ikke

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2022, 09:20:36 am »
Hi guys,

I tried the english translated rom but got really frustrated by the translations. For example I was trying to get the vamp personality to my hero and the translations were totally different than the gb version, so I tried about 5 times to get it and I gave up  :banghead:. There was one question which was a double negation I didn't even know how to answer it. Anyways, I'm a software dev and I worked with strange file formats and assembler before so I was wondering if it would be possible to straight up copy the translations from the gb or android version (seems easier to extract all the strings from the android version) and just port them as is to the snes version. That would take care of possibly 90% of the strings?

So how would I start modifying this rom file? I'm assuming there's a compressed string table somewhere... What tools do you guys use, if any? Are there any posts describing the process? I couldn't find anything.