News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest 3 (SNES) English bugfix  (Read 4905 times)

RodMerida

• View Profile
Dragon Quest 3 (SNES) English bugfix
« on: December 29, 2021, 01:14:13 am »
Hello, my friends! How are you?
I decided, at the end, to take an evening for gathering and reminding the bug fixes I made for my Spanish translation of Dragon Quest 3 for Super Nintendo, and to copy them to the English-patched ROM. After a little of testing and checking to make sure everything works and shows how it would be intended to be, here you have it!:
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6398/
Or in Crackowia team's webpage too: http://crackowia.gq

Consider this my Christmas gift to the English-speaking community (I did it during 25th December)!
I hope you like it!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 02:05:31 am by RodMerida »

Special

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest 3 (SNES) English bugfix
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 04:31:23 am »
I hope you like it!

I do!

Super glad you did this one, when I saw your Spanish work being done on this game I was secretly hoping for an English port of it to happen eventually, and well, it happened! And even on Christmas day! (I'll let this one slide a bit for being a tad late. :))

Your previous Dragon Quest I&II bugfix work was really fantastic, so this one will be just as great too I'm sure.

Thanks again Rod, and I hope you have a great New Year.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 05:07:15 am »
And even on Christmas day! (I'll let this one slide a bit for being a tad late. :))
Papa Noël has arrived!

Well, we could say the actual date of release was three days later, because I had to test it a little; but the big thing was done on 25th.

Your previous Dragon Quest I&II bugfix work was really fantastic, so this one will be just as great too I'm sure.

Thanks again Rod, and I hope you have a great New Year.

Thanks for seeing it that way.
I hope the same for you too!

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 07:48:23 am »
Wow, great work again Rod.  Really thankful for these DQ bugfixes you've been doing. :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 07:58:25 am by zarkon »

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 09:42:10 am »
Welcome, Zarkon.

MD_Prometh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 12:32:29 pm »
Thanks for the bugfix

does this use the name Erdrick?

Felipefpl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 03:22:44 pm »
Consider this my Christmas gift to the English-speaking community (I did it during 25th December)!
I hope you like it!

Thank you very much for this.  :thumbsup:

I hope this will make the front page of the site, it surely deserves it. Also, thank you for your work on translations/bug fixes of dragon quest 1 & 2. I'll try it after some time, i remember ppl reported a few things that were turned into bugfixes later (i believe you even reported some guy from youtube talking about this).  ;)

Edit - i'm also into this right now https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.msg423745#msg423745 ;)
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 04:14:33 pm »
Rod, I wonder if you can help with something.

In the DQT translation, after you get the dream ruby and then wake everyone in Noaniels, normally you get this when talking to the woman in the inn:

And then one of these depending on if you say yes or no:

But someone I know once got this, with no yes/no option:

Which does not fit dragon quest at all, I wonder if it was something from DQT's beta that somehow was left in and is still accessible depending on flags.  Do you know if this text is still in your version?  Did you come across it while bug-fixing?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 04:31:04 pm by zarkon »

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 05:32:55 pm »
Rod, I wonder if you can help with something.

In the DQT translation, after you get the dream ruby and then wake everyone in Noaniels, normally you get this when talking to the woman in the inn:

(See images) [...]

Which does not fit dragon quest at all, I wonder if it was something from DQT's beta that somehow was left in and is still accessible depending on flags.  Do you know if this text is still in your version?  Did you come across it while bug-fixing?

I remember to have translated all those sentences to Spanish. I think some of them are variants that happen in different moments of the game. I believe they are part of DQ3, not something added just for fun.

And yes, they are in my version of the English-patched ROM, since I have not touched them, Zarkon.

I'll try it after some time, i remember ppl reported a few things that were turned into bugfixes later

Some bugs are really difficult to figure out why they happen and require many days of research. Usually it occurs that the more you learn about ROMhacking and SNES assembly, the more capable you become to debug such complexities. Time and persistance puts everything in its place. The fruit will fall from the tree when it's mature.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:11:20 am by RodMerida »

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 07:20:22 pm »
I remember to have translated all those sentences to Spanish. I think some of them are variants that happen in different moments of the games. I believe they are part of DQ3, not something added just for fun.

And yes, they are in my version of the English-patched ROM, since I have not touched them, Zarkon.

Thanks.  It's weird, because it's not a later variant - I've been playing with the flags available in the debug menu:

And I get "were you watching me sleep" up until the "got ship" flag, then the woman talks about something else entirely:

And stays with that till the end of the game (tried enabling all the endgame flags, no change) - so there only seem to be two proper variations throughout once she wakes up (the "were you watching me sleep" yes/no and "eloped with an elf").

I wish I knew the circumstances of how the "rape" text shows up, then I could ask someone to check the Japanese version and see what it said originally.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 07:30:00 pm by zarkon »

lan-vuhoang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 07:32:21 pm »
Does it have modern spell names?

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 12:47:32 am »
Does it have modern spell names?

I have not touched nor modified any single dot from the enemy names system, nor from the names of items. I have 100% respected the work done by DQTranslations in whatever were not bugs. My purpose with this was to restore and preserve their translation, as if we were restoring a Rembrandt, or a Velázquez. I have no right to alter anything. My mission here is just to bugfix what didn't work properly. So that's the task I've accomplished, as proffessionally as my strengths have allowed me.

Notice that DQTranslations just translated the Japanese enemy and item names they encountered, occassionally comparing them, in case of doubt, with some names used in the Game Boy version (that is based on the SNES version of DQ3) as a matter of reference, but not copying them: the enemy names in Game Boy are much shorter than the ones in here, they're abnormally shortened. But the personality names besides being a direct translation from Japanese SNES variant, seem to be pretty based on Game Boy solutions.

Notice that when we play the Japanese ROM of Dragon Quest 3 for SNES made in 1996, we actually want to know how the enemy names were in those times, and in such version. We don't just want to make a copy-paste of modern reinventions. Nor we want to copy-paste silly puns and accents everywhere.

If "the monkey was pinky", the monkey will be pinky. It won't be me who'll change it to red or purple, just 'cause it's "cool, man".

And I get "were you watching me sleep" up until the "got ship" flag, then the woman talks about something else entirely:

Because when you get the ship flag it's related with a sad love side story that ends bad, and that's why she starts talking about how that other boy eloped with an elven girl, a similar sad story that ends bad very related with the last events occurred in that village. It makes much sense.

I think that "raped" thing was said before that change, as a possible answer, wasn't it?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 01:31:52 am by RodMerida »

zarkon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 06:57:00 am »
Because when you get the ship flag it's related with a sad love side story that ends bad, and that's why she starts talking about how that other boy eloped with an elven girl, a similar sad story that ends bad very related with the last events occurred in that village. It makes much sense.

Yep agreed - was just noting that this seems like the only "normal" change of dialogue that the debug flags will raise.

I think that "raped" thing was said before that change, as a possible answer, wasn't it?

Yes, it's when you use the wake up powder and wake up the town - but, it's not a normal possible answer - the two possible answers are here:
https://youtu.be/8l7gk7Ifzdo?t=385

But it seems that at random, it's possible for the whole thing to be replaced by the "raped" dialogue with no yes/no choice:
https://youtu.be/z7Aahbvqqpo?t=1827
(warning, this is a "let's play" video, and the youtuber speaks the dialogue out loud).

I don't know if there's extra Japanese text that DQ Translations translated (and if so how it is triggered), or if it was an early version of the standard dialogue that they replaced during the translation process and it somehow remained in the game.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 01:07:40 pm »
I know I'm a looong way to porting the mobile script to this version (I've also switched gears back to translating Fortune Street for now) but I wanted to say thanks for doing this.

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 05:17:29 pm »
but I wanted to say thanks for doing this.

Welcome, man.

---
Zarkon: I think that text, and those answers are completely normal and make much sense.
She is saying why you were looking at her and she could have been raped. It's very normal. I don't see anything wrong with that.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:43:30 am by RodMerida »

Ether

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2022, 01:48:30 pm »
I have not touched nor modified any single dot from the enemy names system, nor from the names of items. I have 100% respected the work done by DQTranslations in whatever were not bugs.
Beautiful work as always, and an incredible philosophy and commitment to the work done before you. You have my highest respect.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 03:47:47 am »
Quote from: zarkon

yo this line is WILD
free sluffy

RodMerida

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 05:21:41 am »
yo this line is WILD

I like it very much. I don't see the problem. Those sentences are very funny, and very much in the line of Akira Toriyama, with his typical humour.

Quote from: Ether
Beautiful work as always, and an incredible philosophy and commitment to the work done before you. You have my highest respect.
Thank you, friend, for considering it that way. I don't intend another thing with all this than facilitating people playing these gems of computing history, and preserving them, with all the previous and worthy work related with them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:28:49 am by RodMerida »

Bonesy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 12:38:48 pm »
I like it very much. I don't see the problem. Those sentences are very funny, and very much in the line of Akira Toriyama, with his typical humour.

Thank you, friend, for considering it that way. I don't intend another with all this than facilitating people playing these gems of computing history, and preserving them, with all the previous and worthy work related with them.

wild doesn't mean good. the one piece of dialogue that should've been changed and you just left it.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 08:57:53 pm »
I don't know the original Japanese line and cannot comment on the appropriateness of the original translation of it by DQ Translations nearly 20 years ago, but really, must we dogpile on RodMerida again?

He has done us fans a great service in giving us a bugfixed English patch for this game after so long.  That was the scope of his project here.  Nothing else.  Changing DQ Translations' English script was not in his project scope.