News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Does the .dat file in ps2 games store the text?  (Read 537 times)

the_phoenix_mirror

• View Profile
Does the .dat file in ps2 games store the text?
« on: January 19, 2022, 02:04:14 am »
I was looking at some files for a Japanese PS2 game and I looked in the .dat file and I found a good amount of text that appears in the game. Is text usually stored there?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Does the .dat file in ps2 games store the text?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 08:36:04 am »
.dat (presumably being short for data) is probably the second most common "I just need an extension for this file as the operating system/compiler/whatever demands it", with .bin being the first (.pck/pak/variations on the theme of pack being third). To that end there are probably a thousand file formats, radically different, with .dat as an extension among PS2 games and you could probably find, and in any given game I would not be surprised at all to find multiple .dat files with radically different contents/formats/uses.

The PS2 SDK did not seem to provide a common text handling format that all the devs hurried to use (compared to say the DS where there is one that many did use, and if we are talking about audio formats then those can be quite common between games on a system as rolling your own audio format is a nightmare).
That said I would look at such files as a matter of course, especially if directory names or file names would indicate it (or eliminate other things).

Risae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 09:41:30 am »
I was looking at some files for a Japanese PS2 game and I looked in the .dat file and I found a good amount of text that appears in the game. Is text usually stored there?

Usually PS2 ".DAT" files are actually archives, like ".ZIP" and ".RAR". But as far as i know its not possible to just "unpack" those using tools like WinRar or 7Zip.
There are tools like "quickBMS" which are able to extract the contents of a .DAT file using scripts:

http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm

the_phoenix_mirror

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 12:19:43 pm »
By the way I found a .bin file that also had a bunch of text, which one should I edit?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 02:20:23 pm »
By the way I found a .bin file that also had a bunch of text, which one should I edit?
Are you reading what people are posting, sir?

.dat (presumably being short for data) is probably the second most common "I just need an extension for this file as the operating system/compiler/whatever demands it", with .bin being the first (.pck/pak/variations on the theme of pack being third).
No one knows which file you should edit because no one knows what data is stored in these files, especially since you haven't even named the game you are working on. A name like ".bin" is almost completely uninformative. You might have to edit both files, or the necessary text might be in a completely different file where it is completely unidentifiable due to compression.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

the_phoenix_mirror

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 02:57:21 pm »
Are you reading what people are posting, sir?
I'm am, but my problem is I'm pretty new to translating games, so a lot of they're talking about is pretty hard for me to understand. Sorry.