News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Does anyone know the basic things I'd need to start a Soulsilver hack?  (Read 612 times)

Mr. Dibert64

• View Profile
I'm a complete beginner, and I really want to make a rom hack of Pokemon Soulsilver. But I don't even know where to start, I can't find any tutorials specifically for Soulsilver. And I'm just a bit confused about what tools I actually need, and how to do anything. I've looked around, and haven't really found any good guides on how to prepare, so I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction? Like, give me any tips on where to begin, and what tools I'll need.

And thank you so much for any advice you can provide! 

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know the basic things I'd need to start a Soulsilver hack?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 08:04:29 pm »
I don't even know where to start
Really now, the same way you would start anything else: look at what other people have done.

I fully expect there are many other hacks out there, but a quick glance at this site only turns up Refined Gold:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5938/

And that says:
DSPRE and Pokeditor v2 were used for scripting and editing.

I can't find any tutorials specifically for Soulsilver.
If you're expecting absolutely everything to be neatly laid out for you in a detailed guide, then I suggest you lower your expectations.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Mr. Dibert64

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone know the basic things I'd need to start a Soulsilver hack?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 11:34:35 am »
Hm, I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think of looking for the engines used in other works. I guess I just didn't make the connection. Well this looks really helpful, thank you for showing them to me!

Also, in relation to the tutorials, I hope I didn't appear entitled in assuming there would be tutorials. It's just that I had seen a bunch of tutorials on ROM hacking for games like Firered, and Platinum. So I just wanted to know if  any existed for Soulsilver as well.