News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)  (Read 369841 times)

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Hi, i have 2 reports about small problems i found in the Silver Star Story Complete from PSX:

1 - There is an extra space after the name of the characters after they earn a level:

2 - After you earn a level with someone it takes some time for the last msg showing what you earned after you leveled up to disappear, i made a save state with epsxe and included the memcard file to help with this:

https://www27.zippyshare.com/v/FSspTqzy/file.html

I noticed that myself, but realized that it gave 1 "text box" per stat, even if you didn't gain anything in that stat. I you just keep pressing "X", you'll get through the levelup messages pretty quickly.

Felipefpl

• View Profile
I noticed that myself, but realized that it gave 1 "text box" per stat, even if you didn't gain anything in that stat. I you just keep pressing "X", you'll get through the levelup messages pretty quickly.

I know about pressing X, the problem comes in the end where the last message takes some time to disappear.

Edit - i cant believe only yesterday i noticed the extra spaces in the messages showing how much the stats increased, it's 3 extra spaces or something....

Edit 2 - i wished i could attach small files here: a male mage is refered as "her" by Nash, save state https://www105.zippyshare.com/v/JJHl3fHw/file.html

Edit 3 - When i got 10,000 in the red dragon cave the phrase "Got10000" was written, obviously a mistake.

Edit 4 - Not sure if it's a bug or it's something from the game, when playing the ocarina in the lyton's lake i can't hear the ocarina neither i can hear the singing of the singer.

Edit 5 - When fighting Royce if Jessica uses the "Cure Condition" to heal the ppl who got under "wraps" by Royce's spell she attacks Royce with a melee attack instead.

Edit 6 - I removed the healing ring from Alex but left the item in his inventory and even unequipped the ring still heals him.

Uploaded these files, i hope they help at least to fix edit 6 https://www.4shared.com/archive/cMQp6p9iiq/Lunar_-_save_games_-_save_stat.html
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:20:33 am by Felipefpl »
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
So, I've been wanting to play Silhouette Mirage for a while and it turns out that Working Designs fucked up with the gameplay big time when they localized the PS1 version for the west. According to Hardcore Gaming 101 (https://tinyurl.com/2a3ttfjj):

However, when it was localized into English, there were a number of gameplay changes implemented by Working Designs, the American publisher. Working Designs was known to tinker with gameplay elements, usually to make them more difficult, but they really went overboard with this one.

The very essence of the power draining mechanics have changed. Previously, you could use any of the weapons as much as you wanted – now, all weapons drain spirit power as you use them. To make up for this, when you attack enemies with the same class, you’ll replenish your own Spirit meter in addition to depleting theirs. This is actually really useful in certain boss battles when your spirit is depleted, since you can just suck the strength back out of them. Additionally, some of the weapons in the Japanese version were pretty unbalanced, and this seems to be a way to keep players from abusing the more powerful attacks.

Ultimately, however, the changes do more harm than good. Most of the weapons drain way too much power to be useful. It also pretty much forces you to drain every enemy before killing them, and potentially you can expend more energy than you replenish. It also forces you to use the weakest weapons in most cases, since that usually expends the least amount of Spirit. Quite simply, the game is already complicated enough trying to deal with the different classes – keeping track of ammo conservation just isn’t fun.

Furthermore, Working Designs upped the difficulty by increasing the damage inflicted by enemies, as well as making all of the items in the shops more expensive. The latter solves nothing – having to stop and cash bash enemies to be able afford upgraded weapons and health replenishments was already somewhat tedious in the Japanese release, but this just makes everything worse.

At this point, what would be easier? To fix the PS1 version, or port its English script to the japanese exclusive (and much superior) Saturn version?

SCD

• RHDN Supporter
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
In my opinion, someone should try and fix the PSX port. Not only undo the gameplay changes they did, but also decensor it as well.

I understand the Saturn version is better, but this port has a extra boss fight along with a additional ending as well.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Bang Bang
    • View Profile
i don't think supper or ms. tea are ever coming back to this project set
Check out and discuss my projects

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
i don't think supper or ms. tea are ever coming back to this project set
You never know. Maybe they think they're done.

If so, these hacks should be submitted as proper projects.