News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: AVGN  (Read 4613 times)

CryinOnion

• "Once upon a time, a terribly sad onion ..."
    • View Profile
    • Crying Onion's Youtube Channel
AVGN
« on: November 25, 2021, 06:50:04 pm »
Hi everybody! After several months of hiatus, I'm back with a new project.

The idea came from playing the hack created by Pacnsacdave that uses the AVGN's Nemesis, the LJN Defender, as the main character. As a fan of the nerd, I automatically thought of creating a hack that reversed the roles, making him the protagonist. For no special reason, I put the idea in stand by and now, with the coming release of the physical edition of the AGVN official games on Switch and PS4, I'm so hyped that I decided to resurrect the project.

For my project I'm using Wolverine for Nintendo NES as a base, applying the two existing patches that make gameplay more consistent: "Wolverine Easy Version" https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/890/ and "Good Claws - Wolverine" https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3138/

Then I changed the text font and rewrote the plot. So, the next move is to hack the title screen and this is where I want to ask for your advice, as the project is provisionally called just AVGN until I come up with a catchy subtitle, something appropriate given the theme of the hack like "AVGN: Shit-pocalypse".

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. As I make progress I will share some screenshots with you. See ya!

The Beaky Buccaneer

• View Profile
Re: AVGN
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 07:32:54 am »
So, the next move is to hack the title screen and this is where I want to ask for your advice, as the project is provisionally called just AVGN until I come up with a catchy subtitle, something appropriate given the theme of the hack like "AVGN: Shit-pocalypse".
I'm just going for the obvious one here, but how about "AVGN: Crapocalypse"? :laugh:

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 08:51:06 am »
You could always do "AVGN: 8-Bit Apocalypse"
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 10:30:31 am »
I Suggest "AVGN: I won't stop until I destroy every cartridge and console apocalypse."
I kid. Perhaps "AVGN: Shit Picalypse."

diablo666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 12:11:17 am »
Hmm... AVGN  Adventure in the world  Poopocalypse, AVGN vs The Game Apocalypse,

АVGN and V.R pooreality

From me such names. Not very original, but I tried...

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 04:57:10 am »
Still going strong after all of these years.  Pretty amusing recent episodes too.

diablo666

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 07:53:49 am »
Maybe so, but it feels like the angry nerd is slowly subsiding every year. As they say: "It will be over soon"

Spoiler:
I seem to have gone from the topic of this hack in the other direction... in the direction of flood and spam...

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 05:50:20 pm »
Hey people! Sorry, I've been absorbed these days working on something decent to show you and at the end the project has taken its own path:

I found some of your suggestions hilarious, really: АVGN and V.R pooreality? I love it XDD, although as you see from the screenshot, the title screen has become a Terminator parody and with that in mind, the subtitle alludes to "Jugdement Day".

Of course, this is not set in stone and there is plenty of time for the project to find one that is even more appropriate, so I remain open to that or any other suggestions.

P.S. If I manage to finish the intro tonight I will share a video showing it, see what you think.

December 02, 2021, 06:11:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey people! Here I bring as promised a little sneak to my current project. At this point I only have the title screen (in two different styles). The Nerd sprite belongs to another hack and I just "borrowed it" for testing purposes:

https://youtu.be/OBeDkiyHvv4

By the way, I take this chance to ask you if someone could put me in contact with a good music hacker that could add the AVGN theme music to the intro.

There is still a lot of work ahead, so any help or suggestions will be welcome.

See ya!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 06:11:50 pm by CryinOnion »

diablo666

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 01:21:23 pm »
The intro looks good. But I think this is not the final version yet, right? For it looks a little unnatural. :huh:

And the AVGN sprite looks perfect straight

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 07:30:25 pm »
The intro looks good. But I think this is not the final version yet, right? For it looks a little unnatural. :huh:

And the AVGN sprite looks perfect straight

What do you mean by unnatural? I really feel it's missing something because it looks too "serious" and I was thinking of something like adding a text bubble with an insult coming out of his mouth, redrawing the hands to show the middle finger, or handling a Nintendo Zapper, the Powerglove or both, but I'd like to know what you have in mind.

diablo666

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 12:35:40 pm »
Well, as it seemed to me - a hand. Or rather the left hand.

Shouting or "Nes Zipper"? (in Russia we just call it a "light gun" or "pistol") That's a pretty good idea.

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 09:41:26 am »

You have no idea how hard I laughed at this pic, can't wait to see more.  :D

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 07:24:08 pm »
You have no idea how hard I laughed at this pic, can't wait to see more.  :D

Haha glad you like it! Still, a good friend is working on making some improvements to the title screen and in the meantime I've been working on the Nerd sprite. With this swimming animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1qXzdP-SlQ we already have a 100% functional and fully animated Nerd :crazy:

There's still a lot of work to be done: I have asked Sics for help editing the backgrounds (but I know he's very busy). I will also add a request to find someone to add the AVGN theme music to the game (although in my previous projects I haven't had any luck in that matter) and of course, I will ask to the community about certain ideas, because I would like the project to be participatory like SMB8 was. Still, with just a few small aesthetic changes (like the HUD) we could already talk about a very early version that can be played from start to finish.

Just stay tunned for new progress and thanks for all your support ;)

Pennywise

• Forum Moderator
  • Prepare thyself for holy judgment
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 02:14:28 pm »
Sorry to interrupt everyone's discussion, but I've cleaned up this thread. Everyone is free to post in the thread about CryingOnion's hack, but just stay on topic. Thank you.

CryinOnion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 11:01:33 pm »
Hey folks! It seems like it's been forever since my last post.

Truth be told, I'm glad someone on staff has taken action to redirect a situation that frankly, detracted from the purpose of the thread: To present a new project and open it to participation from community users.

Here I bring you a small preview showing the Nerd 100% implemented in the game:
https://youtu.be/rd95wpUgKug

In fact, if I slightly modified the plot and fixed the Ending screen, it could pass for a complete hack.

At this point, the next step is to add some improvements to the title screen to make it more irreverent, change the enemies for characters that have made relevant appearances in the AVGN episodes and (thanks to our good friend and neighbor Sics) modify the background of stage 1.

And this is one of my favorite parts, inviting you to brainstorm to decide aspects of the project:

-The most important: Who will be the main villain? Seriously, I haven't decided yet. There are many to choose from. The only requirement is that it be something similar to the Nerd's Nemesis (like Jekyll, Freddy Krueger, Bugs Bunny, Pepsi Man, etc) and ideally, that it be an anthropomorphic character to fit well with Sabertooth's sprite in the final battle.

-Secondly, there is an important technical detail that may set the course of the hack that I have not yet decided. Some friends suggested that Havok (the support character) be replaced by Shitpickle. As a big fan of Shitpickle, I love the idea. The problem is that it would compromise one of the 4 color palettes available for sprites and I already use 2, one for the Nerd sprite (white, black and skin color) and one for the items and miscellaneous enemies (grayscale). That could affect the variety of color patterns on the enemies, but it could also be used to add Shitpickle and replace one of the healing items (currently an NES cartridge) with a Rolling Rocker beer, which would be a nice touch.

-And lastly, I have almost nothing decided as far as enemies are concerned. I have practically decided to replace the guy who looks like Silver Surfer and throws Hadokens, or the crouching guy with the submachine gun with R.O.B. (he fits better with the second one, but as I would like him to be present throughout the game I want to try). Beyond that, you can suggest whatever you want as long as it fits well with the shape of the sprite it replaces and whenever possible, if it's an enemy from a particular Stage that fits with the theme (there is for example a horror level where enemies like Jason from Friday the 13th would fit).

I leave you a few days to read this post and think about it. See you soon!

December 29, 2021, 05:54:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
My good comrades and retro lovers: As you can imagine, there won't be much progress on the project while we enjoy this holiday season. However, that doesn't stop me from wishing you a Merry Christmas :crazy:

I hope to see you all healthy and happy in the coming year! :laugh: ;D :beer:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:54:50 pm by CryinOnion »