News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Where can mesen simulator learn to make standardized HD files?  (Read 395 times)

looks png

• View Profile
Where can mesen simulator learn to make standardized HD files?
« on: November 24, 2021, 09:25:07 am »
Hello

I am a graphic enthusiast of NES games. I often want to change the picture definition of NES games without dealing with ROM, because I just want to beautify the graphics

Therefore, I want to know how the mesen simulator makes very standard HD packages. Just use the mesen simulator to create HD packages

Because the picture package I created when I ran the game with mesen was very chaotic

But in the work package made by hackers, I found these things very neat, concise and standardized

For example, if you integrate dozens of pictures into one picture, you don't need a jigsaw puzzle

Just like the Mario Brothers HD package, two pictures are OK

So where can I find the way mesen makes them?

thank you very much!

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Where can mesen simulator learn to make standardized HD files?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 04:06:03 pm »
I am not quite following.
So you want to use emulator substitution methods (if you see this graphic rather than display the sprite in the game display this PNG instead) to make NES games look fancy.

You went and looked at an emulator that has such a feature, in this case mesen, but found it rather complicated and unpleasant to use.
You instead found a level editor whatever for the games but it had a nice UI you could deal with.

You then want something like the UI of a ROM hacking level editor but to use for the graphics replacement options of Mesen.

I had missed this becoming a thing on the NES. Normally we see it more for the N64 and PS1 and have the earlier stuff just use increasingly fancy and game specific filters. That said the principle is fine in theory.

The reason the hacking tools you might have grabbed on a site like this are nice to use is because someone/a group possibly spent thousands of hours decoding the game, noting where everything what, what everything did and building a tool to handle it. The emulator will lack this and instead either dump things it sees during its play time or just reads the ROM which is built to run a game, not look nice for someone to edit. The graphics replacement then being a glorified "if you see this then display this instead".

If it is just for a game that is well known to hackers (Super Mario, various Final Fantasy games, Megaman, Kirby, Metroid and a few others) then between the emulators, stuff on https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Category:NES_games and whatever disassemblies there are for games they could probably do some things.
If you are not a hacker and not willing to learn then you can possibly still get something done, but will not gain anywhere near as much as someone that knows what they are doing.
You might be able to use graphics editors to learn the locations of things you want (assuming it does not outright tell you where it is looking then if you edit it then what changed in the ROM will be where you need to point the replacement things in Mesen at) and the various ROM and RAM maps on the wiki above to learn the locations of things, you might even be able to use some basic tools to learn some more for yourself. Disassembly listings without knowing at least some basic programming concepts will not do much for you, if you do know some assembly you can find out where things are remarkably quickly compared to the other methods assembly is one of the harder aspects of programming things.

looks png

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 07:49:08 am »
thank you very much

But I do art work, so I'm really not familiar with programming. What I want is to edit the pictures intuitively to make them clear and beautiful. Therefore, if you can only spell the picture once, or omit the process of puzzle, it will be very helpful to the work process.

Therefore, it is also very good to have a tool to temporarily combine and edit the pictures, and then automatically return them to their original location after completion.
Thanks again

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 12:53:12 am »
But I do art work, so I'm really not familiar with programming.
Then you're either going to have to learn a few new things, or find something else to do. That's how it is.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 03:24:03 am »
The pictures in SMB HD pack are manually rearranged and I think most of the big HD packs have the pictures manually rearranged too.   

You can use an editor that I have made for this, but it can be more difficult to use as you need to capture the graphics frame by frame manually:
https://github.com/mkwong98/HDNes-Graphics-Pack-Editor/releases

looks png

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 06:28:16 am »
Yes, I also arranged it manually, which is also a necessary process of work

But the most maddening thing to do is to enter the tile location script. The tiles will use the script command of mesen to define where they will appear and which piece of the original ROM will be replaced

this is it:

<tile>51,0677,0F382818,224,224,1,N

Oh, my God

So you have to calculate the X and Y coordinates of each tile, whether it will be flipped, mirrored, or repeatedly read, and if it is missing, whether to use the original tile instead?

You know, the most annoying thing about art work is line by line code

If I can automatically generate this code according to the arrangement, my work will be much faster, because in this way, I only need to arrange the tiles and modify it directly

November 26, 2021, 06:32:15 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Then you're either going to have to learn a few new things, or find something else to do. That's how it is.

I'm not in a hurry to do this because it's an amateur thing

This is a hobby, so I will try it in my spare time

thank you