News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Having a hard time understanding Zoddo's speech (Sword of the Berserk)  (Read 461 times)

jackic

• View Profile
Greetings,

I am trying to add subtitles to this game, the pal/usa versions lack subtitle support but the japanese one does have them so it is just a matter of modyfing the subtitles with the language you need.

Anyway, as there is not a written script anywhere, I am transcribing it by listening but, for the life of me, I can not understand the three lines spoken by Zoddo in this video at 1:32:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0feBuD404&t=3905s

This is all I can make out:

-In XXXX I was somewhat XXXXXXXXXXX
-I wanted to try and help myself to XXXXXX
-But I don't need Hawk's to become human and defeat you.

Here is the same video with japanese subtitles at 1:26:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhEvX2siwfs&t=3821s

Also I can not make a single word of what is spoken at 1:38:06

Any help filling the blanks would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:13:48 am by jackic »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Having a hard time understanding Zoddo's speech (Sword of the Berserk)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 10:00:46 am »
My ears are shot and that is nice dreamcast era audio but sounded clear enough to me, that said I do fairly well with accents so maybe it is that.

It appears I was somewhat late for the show
I wanted to try you out myself puny gaijun (don't know if that is an in game term or corruption of gaijin -- later in your transcription the girl refers to the main character as Gutsu so something Japanese is possibly shining through.)
but I don't need the ? to be come human and defeat you.

? is something like hawks. Don't know their context within this game or if there is some similar sound alike (many demons needing magical items/entities/groups to be called forth in folklore -- and if they are playing with shrieking mandrakes at the time position of the video linked then guess we are dealing with folklore, and those guys in tabards and what could be bird masks could well be such a group but I am not inclined to watch it* to find out).

*did always used to see several copies of it it for £8 in the game shop after the Dreamcast had died and wondered about it. Looking at current prices it is not my worst "if I had the money and space I would have" but could have done something.

Is that 1:38:06 in the first video or the second? Same character is speaking as from the stuff above so I will assume so.

Starting at 1:37:58 in the first video (end of boss fight)
You've got stronger branded one. Impressive!
[What's stopping you I'm still alive]
Hah that is enough for today.
We both have other things to do for now.
Before you and I can savour the sweet flesh of death. [odd phrasing that one, release of death or mercy of death or company of death being what I normally expect, but more or less in the stock evil speech thing and I don't know what role flesh plays in this game or that character's conception of reality]
We must remove the small bone which impede us. [bone might be bow but that makes even less sense, and bone barely makes any, but if talking about flesh above then bone is probably a more fitting thing]
[What?]
You better hurry; the land of good is in trouble. [good sounded more like goern so if it is a place name in the game then maybe do that]
[deep rumbling hmm and evil laugh as flying off.]

jackic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 10:40:58 am »
Thanks a lot, with this I think I have all the audio of the game covered, some characters do mumble a lot but after several times listening you can make out the dialog, not with this one though...

I had used one of those camera optical character recognition on the japanese subs and it returned text surprisingly alike the one you posted but yours is a tad more comprehensible.

I will make sure to credit you properly.

Thanks again.

Also "did always used to see several copies of it it for £8 in the game shop after the Dreamcast had died and wondered about it. Looking at current prices it is not my worst "if I had the money and space I would have" but could have done something."

I guess you are british then, I also wanted to snatch a copy but the cheapest ones one can get are from the Uk and I can no longer buy anything from there without paying and absurd 24€ fee in order to BE ABLE to pay the import tax...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 11:01:17 am by jackic »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 04:14:58 pm »
I am not worried about credit.

Yeah importing things seems to be fun these days. Spoke to some Dutch guys a while back and it almost seemed worth getting on the ferry, buying it and returning (granted I thought the same about getting a train to hand deliver a tracked letter the other year), though that would also spare them the legendary awful Dutch parcel handling/rugby tournament it seems postal services hold with packages.
If on "if I only I knew then what I know now" discussions then if sticking with the Dreamcast said same shop had about 15 copies of Skies of Arcadia for £13 a pop, maybe even seeing some drop a bit lower when the GC version hit (GC version was going for £110 or so in a shop the other month).

I am however curious about the phrasing of the one horned demon thing. It is really quite odd to be talking about flesh and bones like that* and I am not sure if that is something for the game, a quirk of translation or something else.

*about as close as I can get is transubstantiation but that would be a bit edgy even for DC era Sega.

Also I probably owe an apology to the voice actors in that -- nice dreamcast era audio it might have been but that was actually surprisingly good in delivery and mixing for a lot of that.