News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: It's game time: Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters translated  (Read 1098 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: It's game time: Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters translated
« on: November 19, 2021, 08:32:18 am »

Update By: Darrman

You've assembled a deck of Duel Monsters cards and boarded the boat to Duelist Kingdom, the biggest tournament around. Standing between you and Pegasus are fourteen other opponents, who all need to be defeated five times to progress. Their motivations range from Yugi trying to save his grandfather's soul to Keith exacting revenge for prior humiliation. All of these enemies must fall in order to earn the three million dollars for tournament victory.

Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters is not the first video game tie-in to the franchise (that's Monster Capsule: Breed and Battle for the Playstation), but it is the first game to feature an adaptation of the card game that would define the franchise. The gameplay is simple: only two monsters have effects, the AI never uses magic cards, and traps simply do not exist. Still, it's a game for the original Game Boy. It's an interesting piece of history to look back on.

Work on the translation patch began in June of 2021, when Darrman, the hacker, wanted something he considered relatively easy to translate. After dumping the majority of the text and translating most of the menus, he then did little until September. Work then resumed, with a post on Romhacking.net's Help Wanted subforum being made at the end of the month.

By October, a work-in-progress patch was released, and the script was translated. Now, the entire game has been fully translated, and ready for any prospective duelists to try their hand at the first Duel Monsters video game.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

SuperThunderBlade

• View Profile
Re: Translations: It's game time: Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters translated
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 04:53:11 pm »
the screenshots looking realy cool, like some kind of gameboy artwork. I never played a yugi oh game, is it like the pokemon trading card serie for the gameboy? they were fun. great job thx  :thumbsup:

Korokun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 10:02:10 am »
Love the post but everytime I read it I feel its missing it's old quote:

It's time to d-du-d-du-duel!

kaiisen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 01:11:17 pm »
Thank you for showing some love to these older Yu-Gi-Oh! games!

Classic Yu-Gi-Oh! is part of my childhood and will be always a part of me.