News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: FDS Graphic Editors - What can I use?  (Read 685 times)

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
FDS Graphic Editors - What can I use?
« on: November 27, 2021, 12:52:57 am »
I was thinking about looking into some FDS rom hacking.  First thing I wanted to look into was a graphic editor for FDS ROMs.  (Lack of a better example: Changing graphics in the FDS game: "Hikari Shinwa - Palathena no Kagami") I had used Tile Layer Pro, but it didn't display correctly, so I'm looking for another program that can edit graphics in FDS ROMs.

The point I'm trying to make is... what program would any of you recommend for editing graphics in FDS ROMs?  (Furthermore, is there a setting in Tile Player Pro I overlooked that can have it display graphics in FDS ROMs correctly?)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: FDS Graphic Editors - What can I use?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 01:16:21 am »
FDS is the same thing as NES.

The reason you can't see it is:
1) Either the particular game uses compressed graphics.
2) You need to scroll to a particular address, increment/decrement the address by 1 if you get something looking close to correct.
3) TLP is old and a little dumb. I don't think it was dumb enough to assume NES games always had CHR-ROM, but I recall it did assume SNES ROMs always had headers (yes, even in 2000 or whenever that was written it was a bad assumption) (which in 2021 headers should be eradicated from existence, I hear they weren't even reliable for the ancient copiers they were designed for, if you were still even capable of using the obsoleted forms of PC communication they had).

But still TLP probably doesn't recognize the FDS extension, so you'd probably have to force open the ROM and then manually select the graphics mode.

Otherwise use literally any other tile editor. Surely NES is one of the most commonly supported formats.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 01:18:51 am »
A quick search suggests that Tile Molester has been used for an FDS game before.
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/fds/patches/3334readme.txt

But the same may also apply to Tile Layer Pro.
https://dvdtranslations.eludevisibility.org/miracle_of_almana/ReadMe-DvD_Translations-The_Miracle_of_Almana.txt
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Anime_World

• RHDN Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 05:00:35 pm »
Tile Molester  :thumbsup: :beer:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 05:10:19 pm by Anime_World »