News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The Lord of King / Astyanax (v1.1 Released!)  (Read 4821 times)

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
The Lord of King / Astyanax (v1.1 Released!)
« on: November 03, 2021, 05:09:57 am »

Time for another NES translation project.  This time, it's the game called "the Lord of King".  (Released in English as "Astyanax".)

I already dumped the script and it's ready for translation.  (As of now, I have a preliminary script that I had TLed using 10ten, DeepL, and Google Translator.  (Again, please don't hold that against me.)  There may be translation errors, so I need someone to go over the script to see if there are any errors that need to be looked into.

Strangely, from what I can tell, the names of the characters were changed.

Astyanax = Roche
Princess Rosebud = Princess Thompson
Blackhorn = McMahon
Thorndog = Big Mage Lich

Cutie is still the same between both versions of the game.

Also, the game takes place in the magical land of Remlia.  (When I put the katakana that was supposed to read that, it spit out "Lemuria".  I wanted to change Remlia to Lemuria in-game.  While I did find the names of area locations in the ROM and changed Remlia to Lemuria, when the game displays stage clears, the name is displayed, surprisingly as "Remlia".  Furthermore, I couldn't find the word "CLEAR" anywhere in the ROM.  For now, the name "Remlia" will have to stick until there's a way that "Lemuria" can be displayed in stage clear displays.  I can only assume someone with ASM wizardry can take care of that.)

All that's left is to find the untranslated text that displays Cutie's power-up options.  (When Cutie appears to offer a choice of powerups.)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:29:57 pm by BlackPaladin »

Noside

• View Profile
Re: The Lord of King / Astyanax
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 05:03:24 pm »
This is fantastic! question, is this an accurate translation from the original japanese one? cheers! :woot!:

Whipon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 05:25:14 pm »
I love Astyanax, allways wondered what the japanese game story was about.

This is great news, keep on going with your excellent job ;).

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 07:31:38 pm »
This is fantastic! question, is this an accurate translation from the original japanese one? cheers! :woot!:

I want it to be accurate, of course... as accurate as I can fit into the ROM as best as I can.

I love Astyanax, allways wondered what the japanese game story was about.

This is great news, keep on going with your excellent job ;).

Thank you for the well-wishes.  I hope this gets done someday.  :)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 10:09:54 pm »
Wow, the original names are really terrible. I suggest re-localizing them.
But keep Cutie.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 01:29:56 pm »
The name sounds engrish as well. The Lord of King? "Kings" maybe. Is king the name of a place?

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 01:41:49 pm »
Wow, the original names are really terrible. I suggest re-localizing them.
But keep Cutie.

The thought had crossed my mind.  But then, I did look up that there was an arcade that the NES version was loosely based off of... and in that version, the hero's name is also "Roche".  Might change his name to "Ross", but nothing's set in stone, yet.

The name sounds engrish as well. The Lord of King? "Kings" maybe. Is king the name of a place?

Nope, the game's original title is "The Lord of King".  (And yes, it does sound like "Engrish")   It should have been called "The Lord of Kings".  (Might sound like a Wisdom Tree-themed religious video game from that title, but that doesn't bother me.  Your mileage may vary.)  The "King" doesn't refer to any place in the game... as the game's setting is the "Kingdom of Remlia".  (possibly called "Lemuria"; Again, I couldn't get the name displayed during stage clear screens)

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 05:43:37 pm »
I want it to be accurate, of course... as accurate as I can fit into the ROM as best as I can.

Cool! I understand about the space in the ROM itself, also, keep the names from the original game, doesn't matter if they sound weird in Engrish, this brings a new expierence never been translated before for this one. :beer:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 02:52:51 am »
Yeah, doing a straight translation is fine, too.
If anyone really wants to, making a re-localization shouldn't be an out-of-reach sort of proposition.

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 05:34:07 pm »
Doing a minor update, here.

Since I couldn't do anything about the stage clears, I had to take a shortcut.  While the original ROM (including the untouched Japanese ROM) listed the land's name as "Remlia" even though the 10ten/DeepL/GoogleTL treatment I had given it called it "Lemuria", I stuck with calling the game's setting titled as just "Remlia".  (This also applies to another area in the game which was listed as "Thelenea", but I got "Terenea" instead.)

I should have a very ALPHA patch ready soon... but I still need someone to TL the script.  (I already have a post up on the "Help Wanted" board about that.)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 01:24:40 pm »
The player's name is Rosshu (ローシュ) and his weapon is called Basshu (バッシュ). Not sure if there's supposed to be a relation.

I see that as this is one of the very few original Famicom games I've bought that included the manual not the box. (rarely are Japanese games sold in a middle state, they're usually either loose or fully complete.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Fray

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 10:58:41 am »
Doing a minor update, here.

Since I couldn't do anything about the stage clears, I had to take a shortcut.  While the original ROM (including the untouched Japanese ROM) listed the land's name as "Remlia" even though the 10ten/DeepL/GoogleTL treatment I had given it called it "Lemuria", I stuck with calling the game's setting titled as just "Remlia".  (This also applies to another area in the game which was listed as "Thelenea", but I got "Terenea" instead.)

I should have a very ALPHA patch ready soon... but I still need someone to TL the script.  (I already have a post up on the "Help Wanted" board about that.)

I don't know if I can help, but from what little Japanese I have learned on my own, when you find a name in katakana, you have to treat that name like a foreign name, and then look for the most correct foreign pronunciation. An example of that is the name "Alice" which in hiragana you would translate as "Arisu", while in katakana it's "Alice". In this case, the romaji transcription should be Re-Mu-Ri-A, so both Remlia and Lemuria should be correct (because they both sound like foreign names). Except that Lemuria, according to wikipedia is a lost continent, like Atlantis, and therefore if the source of that neme is this one, then Lemuria is to be preferred.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 07:28:09 pm »
The player's name is Rosshu (ローシュ) and his weapon is called Basshu (バッシュ). Not sure if there's supposed to be a relation.

I see that as this is one of the very few original Famicom games I've bought that included the manual not the box. (rarely are Japanese games sold in a middle state, they're usually either loose or fully complete.)

Hmmm. They do rhyme by Japanese standards as far as I'm aware.

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 10:25:12 am »
Nice to see this one getting a translation! I’m curious what differences you’ll find in the story. I know there’s some graphical censorship in the US release but not sure about the text. Also, it’s nice that the Japanese original already had an English title screen so that already takes a step out of the process. Good luck with the project!

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 06:50:49 pm »
https://www.sendspace.com/file/mjdlmo

It's been a while, but here's an alpha release patch of "The Lord of King" which I had made.  Fortunately, I didn't have to change the title screen or apply an English font to the game.  (The game already had one... all caps, though.)  As for how this game's script was translated, I used DeepL, 10ten (a Microsoft Edge extension that works like Rikai-chan), and Google Translator.  Of course, there could be errors in the translation.  That's why I had asked for a translator to go over the script I had initially dumped.

Anyway, I could use some feedback on this version, so if anyone wants to test this out, please do so.  I'm always willing to listen to any and all feedback.

Whipon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2021, 08:27:01 pm »
Hello, BlackPaladin.

Just finished the game.
I did not found any errors, the script seems right to me.
Thanks a lot for sharing the patch.

Regards and have a nice week ;).

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 07:29:01 pm »
I'm gonna give this a spin tonight, I always liked the cut scenes when I was a teen.  :thumbsup:

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 09:34:02 pm »
I'm gonna give this a spin tonight, I always liked the cut scenes when I was a teen.  :thumbsup:

Awesome!  Please let me know what you think later on.  I'm open to feedback.   :thumbsup:

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
Re: The Lord of King / Astyanax (Released!)
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2021, 10:14:06 pm »
English translation for "The Lord of King" (Astyanax) is now released.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6361/

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
Re: The Lord of King / Astyanax (Released!)
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 08:05:26 am »
English translation for "The Lord of King" (Astyanax) is now released.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/6361/

Nice! I’ve been meaning to replay this game so I’ll use this patch when I do and let you know if I catch any issues. Thanks for working on it!