News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - Recolor by JonataGuitar  (Read 3390 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - Recolor by JonataGuitar
« on: October 30, 2021, 09:01:48 pm »

Update By: sorrow

Behold, new colors for Castlevania Aria of Sorrow.

Play through the vanilla Aria of Sorrow experience, but with a new visual style!

JonataGuitar recolored the following categories:

*Backgrounds
*Animations
*Player Characters and NCPs
*Enemies

As this patch only aims to change palettes, they may or may not work with other AoS patches.  

Test on your own and find out!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow - Recolor by JonataGuitar
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 09:53:48 pm »
At last, the recolor I longed for for long!

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 11:21:53 pm »
This seems to look mostly fantastic, there aren't a lot of GBA palette darkening hacks outside of SNES port restorations too and i'd like to see more of them. I may try this out. Out of the four screenshot comparisons, 3 of them look drastically superior. However, I do think the original stained glass looks better than the edited one IMO (the foreground layer looks good though).

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 11:28:44 pm »
This seems to look mostly fantastic, there aren't a lot of GBA palette darkening hacks outside of SNES port restorations too and i'd like to see more of them. I may try this out. Out of the four screenshot comparisons, 3 of them look drastically superior. However, I do think the original stained glass looks better than the edited one IMO (the foreground layer looks good though).

I agree on this one as well.
While most of the colour choices look great, drastically changing some of the original colour schemes in some sections just rubs me the wrong way.
I think keeping the original colour scheme while recoloring for a less saturated image should be the way to go.

Also, in the image with the water pools, the water portions are not as noticeable with the colour change.

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 06:50:22 am »
Wow, I might actually play this. I second the comment about the water not being as noticeable.

Love how garden looks in the 4th screen, like it's night outside.

nj180grados

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 07:38:03 am »

Update By: sorrow

Behold, new colors for Castlevania Aria of Sorrow.

Play through the vanilla Aria of Sorrow experience, but with a new visual style!

JonataGuitar recolored the following categories:

*Backgrounds
*Animations
*Player Characters and NCPs
*Enemies

As this patch only aims to change palettes, they may or may not work with other AoS patches. 

Test on your own and find out!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Hi! first of all excellent job!
The redrawn is a perfect balance of dark tones and less saturated color.

Second one I would know if you can set this patch but for the EUR rom of Castlevania AOS  ?¿

I would like play this patch with the eur rom with the spanish translation patch + redrawn color.

but I also invite you to review the patch in Spanish from this website of the original author.

https://wastor.romhackhispano.org/old/127.0.0.1/index.php/menu-castlevania-aria-of-sorrow.html

As you can observe this point:

Super extra !!!: The characters have been redesigned from the original Artworks.

I think that in addition to the color improvements of your work it would be very good to add the modified portraits of this patch.
I have been able to play it and the improvement is palpable.

the idea would be to launch a new version compatible with the rom eur in addition to adding these portraits.

Whoever wants can play it in English or apply the patch as it would be my case to translate it.

Tell me what you think of all this.

and excuse my english!

Regards!

riroudo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 08:17:45 am »
Great Job!

The only small problem I noticed was the icons that appear on the monsters info, they are all yellow and black.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 01:30:33 pm »
there aren't a lot of GBA palette darkening hacks outside of SNES port restorations too
There's actually a reason for that.  Color correction like what you see on mGBA's options came around and made a simple darkening kinda moot outside of modded hardware, while changing the palette of every single thing in a game consistently is a huge task.  Same with correcting GBC colors with the same issue.  Apparently the modded console problem will be addressed by the Analogue Pocket, but so far we've only seen static mockups of the feature (all those videos on their twitter, if they are from their products, do not have any corrections at all and therefore look the same as any other emulator with no garnishes).

That said, this is a whole lot more than that and I really appreciate the new atmosphere.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 09:36:18 am by Chronosplit »

ToHell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 01:38:14 pm »
Could you make this great patch compatible with the EURO version?
Would be first class.

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 10:03:51 pm »
Tempt me with another Aria of Sorrow playthrough, why don't you... probably won't get to this for a while though.  Going by the screenshots, I have the same feedback as mentioned above, I prefer the old stained glass and the water is a little hard to see.  When I do get around to this, I'll probably revert the stained glass myself.

It certainly looks interesting though.  I'm looking forward to seeing how AoS feels with a darker, more sinister palette.

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 04:31:00 pm »
Great Job!

The only small problem I noticed was the icons that appear on the monsters info, they are all yellow and black.

Hi there!  Can you provide a screenshot of the error you came across?  I'll ask Jonata about it.

Dartz150

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 06:32:49 am »
Did a 100% playthrough with this hack and it was fantastic!!!!

Found two major game-breaking bugs though, I had to "revert" to vanilla in order to circumvent them:

1.-Gremling Soul has wrgon ability description, it says "BLUE CROW", also its naming in the soulset list displays garbage test and, when trying to select it, it crashes the game so you are forced to reset.

2.- Erinys drops Stolas Soul instead of its own, making impossible to get 100% soul rate as Erinys soul is impossible to get.

Other than that, everything was great, loved your color choices for Underground Reservoir and Dance Hall!!

JonataGuitar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 03:29:35 pm »
Everyone, thanks for pointing out these bugs! I'm working on these fixes and soon I update the hack fixing the problem with Eversing, the yellow icons and these two souls out of place.

Ergonpandilus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 06:05:15 am »
This is really remarkable hack. So far I've played maybe half way through, but most of the changes much better. But I do agree with comments above about the red-colored glass painting being too big change and it doesn't look quite so good. Also the red tint with tiles feels strange and some of the sky graphics should be closed to the original.

I hope there will be another update that fine tunes some of these changes closer to the original art, but with that high contrast value. I haven't yet come up with any bugs.

PS. This works fine with Alucard hack.

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 11:55:27 am »
Just came here to report the Gremlin soul bug, but it's already been reported. FYI, there is a prepatched rom in certain youtube channel that doesn't contains that very bug (no idea about the other reported bugs).

Thanks for this recolor patch, JonataGuitar!!

Squid01

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 07:59:14 pm »
Registered to say how incredible this looks. Really, just stellar work.

Not to be contrary, but I def prefer your rework of the glass painting. I'd say shoot for something in-between, but maybe an alternate version is the way to go.

Any plans to recolor the other games in the series?

EDIT: typos

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 08:20:25 pm by Squid01 »

JonataGuitar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 09:43:39 am »
I'm working on a Harmony of Dissonance color hack, it's almost done, maybe before the end of the year I'll be posting it here.
you can check how it's doing here on my deviantart, https://www.deviantart.com/jonata-d/gallery/80912889/castlevania-harmony-of-dissonance-color-hack
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 09:50:19 am by JonataGuitar »

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2021, 08:28:37 am »
OK guys, just checked that the rom inside the download link below doesn't contains the soul bugs recently reported (Gremlin and Erinys). Presumably bug free  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pF46CuzCVw (download link in the comments).

Also, fully compatible with Dev Anj's INT/Luck fixes. Enjoy till new updates  :beer: