News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Zelda II - Amida's Curse  (Read 2930 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Zelda II - Amida's Curse
« on: October 27, 2021, 06:51:50 pm »

Update By: Ok Impala!

One day Link finds a portal to a strange land.
Curious he starts exploring the magical world of Amida.
Little does he know, that he's on a brand new adventure that will take him to places he couldn't have imagined.
Amida has a deep emotional link to our hero.
Can Link unravel the secrets of Amida and return to his own world?

Zelda II – Amida’s Curse is a brand new Zelda II adventure. The game has been build up from the ground. With a new world, new graphics and an original soundtrack by bentglasstube. The focus of Amida’s Curse lies on exploration above combat. Gameplay has been altered to make this, above all, a fun gaming experience. So, difficulty is lower than the original Zelda II, there are no cheap deaths and grinding isn’t necessary.

This has been a passion project spanning over 18 months of development time. A huge thanks to all people involved in making Zelda II – Amida’s Curse truly shine! You will find much more info in the ReadMe!

Now, go explore! A whole new world is waiting for you!

Features
- 9 new temples to explore (vs 7 in vanilla Zelda II).
- 11 new towns to visit (vs 8 in vanilla Zelda II).
- New soundtrack.
- Brand new overworld.
- New story.
- New graphics.
- Animated tiles on the overworld.
- Balanced difficulty, no cheap deaths.
- No random encounters on the overworld.
- Loads of gameplay tweaks (building on Zelda II Redux).
- Lives you find are permanent.
- No grinding necessary.
- Enemy rebalancing, no more huge HP pools.
- Press A as a Fairy to instantly return to your normal form.
- Temple stones give fixed EXP.
- Fairy can’t fly through doors.
- Save anywhere by pressing up and A on the start menu. Be aware though, that you'll be warped back to the starting point of the game. So, only use this option when you want to stop playing.
- And so much more...

You can watch the release trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqrJi8xbZg

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

TimeCop

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Zelda II - Amida's Curse
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 12:05:02 am »
HDNES features could result in these kind of new quest style romhacks getting completely new graphics.

NesDraug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 01:26:10 am »
Exciting to see a new Zelda 2 hack, especially with new music! The vanilla game always bothered me but this looks like something I'd enjoy. Good job.
Hello! You found my shop of strange and wonderful things!
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/nesdraug

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 03:20:46 am »
Thank you both! Enjoy the game!  :)

The_Atomik_Punk!

• Nobody Rules these Streets at Night but Me!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 08:14:49 am »
This romhack looks beyond amazing - always a huge fan of Zelda 2, and this is clearly a labor of love. Quick question, is this hack compatible with real hardware (via playing on flashcarts like the Everdrive)? Can't wait to dive in if so!

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 09:36:05 am »
It sure is! Works flawlessly on Real HW!  :)

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 10:18:57 am »
Hey Impy! Congrats on your new hack!

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
Re: ROM Hacks: Zelda II - Amida\'s Curse
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 11:30:22 am »
Thanks Stifu! :)

October 31, 2021, 07:09:13 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
For all the people interested in listening to the soundtrack of Zelda II - Amida's Curse. You can find it here: https://eatabrick.bandcamp.com/album/amidas-curse
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 07:09:13 am by Ok Impala! »

Pinki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 12:13:59 am »
i patched this rom and uploaded to my nes classic mini and have started playing. this is awesome so far. true to the original.

maybe the end, ends up being easier but the beginning is much harder. palace 1 is bigger by far. not a complaint at all just my observation after playing an hour.

i will have tons of fun playing this.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 04:53:04 pm »
i patched this rom and uploaded to my nes classic mini and have started playing. this is awesome so far. true to the original.

maybe the end, ends up being easier but the beginning is much harder. palace 1 is bigger by far. not a complaint at all just my observation after playing an hour.

i will have tons of fun playing this.

Thanks for your message Pinki! How hard the start of the game is, is really dependent on how much the player explores. More exploration is more EXP and therefore an easier start. It is up to the player! Also, it is really important to use Shield often at the start of the game. It makes the first Temple a lot easier to conquer. The drops of magic bottles where designed around this idea.

Great to hear you are enjoying yourself! Would love to hear your thoughts once you've played through the whole game!  :)

deforres

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 01:49:27 pm »
Really enjoying the game so far! Zelda 2 is one of my favourite games ever, and this has been a really fun game to explore. Everything feels very well designed, and it's been a pleasure to play through.

I had a softlock last night playing version 1.2 in the castle town when I accidentally upthrusted the fairy at the end of the town. My character was frozen and I could pause and unpause and move the menu cursor, but couldn't cast a spell or do anything else. I had to up+A and save/restart.

I have a screenshot and an Everdrive N8 Pro save state of when I was softlocked. Not sure how to attach them here or get them to you if they're helpful.

I'll switch over to version 1.3 but just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for making such an awesome game!

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 01:39:10 am »
Really enjoying the game so far! Zelda 2 is one of my favourite games ever, and this has been a really fun game to explore. Everything feels very well designed, and it's been a pleasure to play through.

I had a softlock last night playing version 1.2 in the castle town when I accidentally upthrusted the fairy at the end of the town. My character was frozen and I could pause and unpause and move the menu cursor, but couldn't cast a spell or do anything else. I had to up+A and save/restart.

I have a screenshot and an Everdrive N8 Pro save state of when I was softlocked. Not sure how to attach them here or get them to you if they're helpful.

I'll switch over to version 1.3 but just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for making such an awesome game!

I just tested this with Vanilla Z2 and it is, unfortunately, a Z2 Vanilla bug. It doesn't happen consistently either, I managed several times to upstab the Fairy without locking the game. I guess the difference with Vanilla is that they never used a Fairy in a town. Still, I'll have a look into it. Maybe we can fix it after all. For now, be friendly to your Fairy friends!  ;)

deforres

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 01:49:07 am »
Oh wow, I had no idea! Playing this all these years and I've never killed a fairy. I thought you'd added the ability to kill fairies (for some reason!) since I've now accidentally done it twice in my playthrough of your game.

Thanks for looking into it!

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 01:23:08 pm »
Oh wow, I had no idea! Playing this all these years and I've never killed a fairy. I thought you'd added the ability to kill fairies (for some reason!) since I've now accidentally done it twice in my playthrough of your game.

Thanks for looking into it!

You couldn't have experienced it, because it only happens with Fairies in Towns (which Vanilla doesn't have). But I'm happy to have giving you the experience now!  ;)

Anyway. This bug was fixed in version 1.4 , which is available now! All Fairies are save again! :)

deforres

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 02:25:30 pm »
Ah, I see :)

Awesome -- I'll download that version and then I can finally get my revenge!

Thank you again for such a fun game! I think I'm going to beat it tonight and I've really enjoyed it all the way through.

hdofu

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 02:01:49 am »
This hack has legitimately kept me engaged more then pretty much any rom hack in the past year, and probably the most a Zelda II hack has in the last decade. Up to the 4th palace its been a heck of a ride so far.

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 02:22:04 am »
This hack has legitimately kept me engaged more then pretty much any rom hack in the past year, and probably the most a Zelda II hack has in the last decade. Up to the 4th palace its been a heck of a ride so far.

Thanks for sharing this! Good to hear you are having fun with it!  :)