News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Oversimplified pacman - which rom to use?  (Read 622 times)

Ogpog

• View Profile
Oversimplified pacman - which rom to use?
« on: October 30, 2021, 03:22:53 pm »
Hi

I have patched a few roms, but I couldn’t get any roms to work with the ‘oversimplified pacman’ patch for the nes, please has anyone got this to work, which rom should I use, thanks in advance 👍

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Oversimplified pacman - which rom to use?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 09:31:35 pm »
Links are always helpful.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6280/

Do any of the ROMs you have tried have a CRC32 that matches the one on that page?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 01:14:39 am »
Not going to go through patching a whole bunch of ROMs, for what I think is a silly and almost unplayable hack idea, to be sure of it.

But looking at the amount of and arrangements of blobs what I assume are the copyright text, seems to line up with the US Tengen "licensed" version of the game.

The thing about that ROM hashes, especially with "unknown" ROM names, is that they don't tell us if it is BEFORE or AFTER applying the patch.
I assume some ROM hackers are submitted the hashes for the PATCHED ROM, which seems less useful than submitting the source ROM hash. (as said above, I don't want to have to just guess and check all variants of a game. Especially a game like this which has like six or seven total regional and revisional variants. Most of them I assume are not different beyond the copyright text.)
It's kind of a consistency problem.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 09:01:39 pm »
I can confirm that this patch does not work with any of the common known ROMs, even the Tengen ROM.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 04:51:02 am »
3 reviews for this hack (which seems weird for just 70 downloads) indicate that other users managed to play it somehow.

There are like 50 ROMs in GoodNES for this game, so keep trying.