News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Super Robot Taisen Z script dumping issues  (Read 470 times)

longsun_zhao

• View Profile
Super Robot Taisen Z script dumping issues
« on: October 25, 2021, 04:43:33 pm »
Hello all; I've been chipping away at translating Super Robot Wars Z for the PS2. I've made some good initial progress, but unfortunately I'm never going to be able to complete the job unless I can dump the game's script. I only have the Japanese stage dialogue for about 70% of the game, and I have none of the battle dialogue or menu text.

I'm basically a total newcomer to anything code-related that's more complicated than web 1.0 stuff, so I've been poking around the internet to see how I can do this myself. I was able to find the script in the game files off the ISO, load it into a hex editor, apply a Shift JIS table, and get little snippets of dialogue, but it's mostly garbled up mush.

What's weird is that words and phrases are there and they make sense; there's even some English words and short phrases present, so I know I'm not totally off-base. I was reading about compression and how that can affect what I'm seeing in a hex editor; could that be a factor here?

I'm in a bit of an awkward phase where I don't have enough of the game translated to feel comfortable bringing anyone else on, but I'm also eventually going to hit that limit with the text that I have, so I wanted to start tackling this issue now.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Robot Taisen Z script dumping issues
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 08:06:27 pm »
Posting a screenshot of what you're seeing might be useful for starters. It might be compressed, or you might just be looking at a bunch of "control codes" which the game's programming uses to determine how to display the text.

Of course, one easy way to check would be to try making a small change and then re-inserting the file back into the ISO.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

longsun_zhao

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 08:18:50 pm »
Okay, this is what I'm looking at.

As you can see, there are some clearly sensible fragments in there "女主人公 = "female protagonist" but nothing more. The file is huge and littered with these little bits of sentences, leading me to believe that this is where the script is.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 08:31:34 pm by longsun_zhao »

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 02:47:35 pm »
Maybe the kanji is in sjis and kana are in their own single byte format? I've seen that before, and most of the hex near the kanji seems close together, so maybe...