News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [Translation][NES]Kaguya Hime Densetsu (Moon Princess Legend)  (Read 1928 times)

FCandChill

• View Profile
[Translation][NES]Kaguya Hime Densetsu (Moon Princess Legend)
« on: October 22, 2021, 03:48:00 pm »
Over a decade ago, snark made a translation for the game Kaguya Hime Densetsu. The translation job was performed via a hex editor and without any other tools or asm changes. As a result, the script had a dubious quality to it. Pennywise was given permission by the translator improve the hack and had the script proofread for grammar by Eien Ni Hen. A proofread for accuracy wasn't performed as there were issues with the Japanese script dump's table file. Additionally, the title screen was redone.

Now fast forward to the present, Pennywise handed off his work to me, which was a rom with a proofread script inserted and a title screen (along with an atlas text file). I made my own Japanese table file and comparing the script with the English script, I determined that the English translation is not only highly cut, but also inaccurate in various places...

Code: [Select]
"Original": [
  "[LINE]「やあ! たびのひと。 ワシは[LINE] ツリきち サンタじいさん という[LINE] ものじゃが マッチ かして くれンかの?」[STOP]"
],
"New": [
  "[LINE]「I'm Santa! It's summer break! Say, you got a match?」[STOP]"
],

The "It's summer break!" part was made up and "Hello, traveler!" was dropped.

Code: [Select]
"Original": [
  "「まあ ステキな カガミ。[LINE] ありがたく いただいとく とするワ。」[LINE][STOP]"
],
"New": [
  "「Thanks for a cool silver prize!」[LINE][STOP]"
],
"Comment": [
  "FC: Mistranslation. 'いた' refers to the mirror, since this dialogue triggers after giving the ugly beauty instructor a mirror."
],

It really should say...
Oh, what a beautiful mirror!
I'll gladly take care of it!

The proofread script didn't fix was fundamentally wrong with the original translation.

In any case, I'm looking for a Japanese to English translator. All the hacking has been completed. Only the translation aspects remain. The download link below contains a Japanese script dump with a column for comments and the translation. There's two tabs. One for the dialogue and one for the menu options. The original English translation isn't included as I don't think it should be worked on as a base. The "menu" column corresponds to the savestate which are all provided. This should give you some context on what a line is about.

Kaguya Hime Densetsu translation package: https://mega.nz/file/tugG1IYC#qnx9wvKjLghZW4K6KwPbns3Y03pIvuYPHpo0OhgB6DM

For the translation, I would suggest making a very literal translation, so I can go back and proofread it later. I'll later send back the changes for approval. I also have a functioning script viewer GUI and an inserter, in case those need to be provided. Also, don't worry too much about line breaks. I have auto line breaking logic in the script inserter.

The original translation also features a walkthrough in the readme...
https://www.romhacking.net/translations/nes/patches/1449readme.txt

Also, here's some screenshots...

This is the original translation...

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:55:25 pm by FCandChill »

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
Re: [Translation][NES]Kaguya Hime Densetsu (Moon Princess Legend)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:34:32 pm »
A little reminder, Crysta has done a great title screen design for this game:

Moon Princess
http://www.mediafire.com/?eh9kdt6ejty96er

Anime_World

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 11:04:17 pm »
A little reminder, Crysta has done a great title screen design for this game:

Amazing work

MethidMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 12:23:03 am »
In any case, I'm looking for a Japanese to English translator. All the hacking has been completed. Only the translation aspects remain.

Any luck finding a translator?

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 12:35:06 am »
Any luck finding a translator?

No, not yet.

As for for the titlescreen in question...

At first glance, it looks good, however, there's a handful of problems, most notably with the line thickness consistency. The O holes are clearly too big, and the P hole is evidently off as well. I like the overall design but there's a handful of small problems that add up. I could easily improve these, however, I also want to use a title screen that's true to the original. One idea I have for the title screen I have is to change it to "The Legend of Princess Kaguya", if I can even get it to fit that is...

Frodo1990

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 02:02:43 pm »
I can help a bit translating some parts from the game, do you still need help?

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 10:45:08 pm »
Zynk sent over an excel script and rom file from their translation attempt (it seems to be based on snark's script as well). While more accurate, there's places that miss puns/jokes which will have to be localized (Like the captain mistaking athlete's foot spray as boat bug spray since the word is the same). Zynk's script is also truncated at various spots because the romhack never modifies the pointer tables (the excel file's script is more verbose but still truncated). Due to the lack of responses from desirable candidates, I've taken it upon myself to proofread snark's script (while also cross referencing it with Zynk's edit, which corrects the most egregious issues with snark's script). My proofreading process includes adding content that was removed, mistranslated, or downright made up... I'm also making it more verbose because I can either expand the rom file or add dictionary compression. I may want to have the script proofread by someone more proficient at Japanese than I am because I have some lines I'm iffy on, but that's an issue for another day...

Graphicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 09:17:08 pm »
How's this?

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 12:46:00 am »
I appreciate the effort, Graphicus. While it looks good, I took a whack at the titlescreen. I had more of something like this in mind...

While it's important to remain true to the title, having the same font throughout can be a bit much. The original Moon Princess title screen can do this because it's a couple of characters long. Therefore, I took inspiration from the legend of Zelda by having a heading, like so...

While stepping back, my effort looks "alright". The font is a bit droll. The original title screen is clearly using a bold font but it has hints of Asian calligraphy. The characters vary in thickness as if they're carefully hand painted. This is most evident in the "ぐ" in " かぐや".

So I whipped this up, which is what I'm probably going to use...

So does it fit into the game? Likely yes. Here's how the tiles look like compressed...

It fits rather snugly into the current space available. I can do some clever graphic placement or borrow some tiles from the font. It looks doable.

MethidMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 05:31:29 am »
I'm liking the way that looks. It's got the brush strokes look.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 09:07:34 am »
Agreed. That new design looks excellent!

Kajitani-Eizan

• You couldn't kill me if I tried to let you
    • View Profile
    • KAJITANI-EIZAN's Patch Site: Reimagination
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 06:54:11 pm »
Nice!! 👍