News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 735 times)

mitchell03

• View Profile
Hello everyone
« on: October 20, 2021, 02:08:50 pm »
I have been trying to play a rom of Pokemon Red, but every time I try and load it, it tells me (unknown opcode) I don't know what this means?
also in the future if I want to rom hack my own copy of my rom to add things in end game such as Pokemon and battles, is this possible and would this change the checksum? like CRC/SHA, etc
and if I did change it in the future, how would I play the rom once I've hacked it, as I keep getting no luck in loading the rom, (checksums showing up as wrong) please helppp!!

also if I;m playing a rom that is Japanese language, can I add English text to a rom for end game stuff? while keeping the rest of the rom in Japanese? thankyou !

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 09:39:34 pm »
I have been trying to play a rom of Pokemon Red, but every time I try and load it, it tells me (unknown opcode) I don't know what this means?
No one can help you unless you explain more about what you are doing. Did you apply any patches to this ROM? If you downloaded it from the Internet, then it may be a bad copy. If you are applying patches, does your unpatched ROM work properly? Are you using an emulator? Which one?

also in the future if I want to rom hack my own copy of my rom to add things in end game such as Pokemon and battles, is this possible and would this change the checksum? like CRC/SHA, etc
The whole point of a checksum is that it is only the same if two files are completely identical.

As for making changes yourself, you will have to look at the available utilities.

and if I did change it in the future, how would I play the rom once I've hacked it, as I keep getting no luck in loading the rom, (checksums showing up as wrong)
What error message are you seeing, exactly? Before you said "unknown opcode".

also if I;m playing a rom that is Japanese language, can I add English text to a rom for end game stuff? while keeping the rest of the rom in Japanese?
You can do almost anything you want if you are willing to put in the effort, but most things are very difficult.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

mitchell03

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 11:56:50 am »
do you think you could do me a detailed step by step on how to translate/add English text to Japanese roms of pokemon red/gree/blue/yellow please ?
thankyou mate!

October 22, 2021, 11:46:40 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
No one can help you unless you explain more about what you are doing. Did you apply any patches to this ROM? If you downloaded it from the Internet, then it may be a bad copy. If you are applying patches, does your unpatched ROM work properly? Are you using an emulator? Which one?
The whole point of a checksum is that it is only the same if two files are completely identical.

As for making changes yourself, you will have to look at the available utilities.
What error message are you seeing, exactly? Before you said "unknown opcode".
You can do almost anything you want if you are willing to put in the effort, but most things are very difficult.

I have been trying to use hex and tables, to see the text so i can translate it to english, but nothing is making any sense, can you PM me and we can talk about it, i have been trying to figure this out for weeks, all i really want is to add english text to my roms, but it seems so difficult :(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:46:40 pm by mitchell03 »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 02:18:32 am »
but it seems so difficult :(
Were you expecting this to be easy?

There are tons of Pokemon hacks out there already, so take a look around at what has been done already and see what utilities have been used. See if you can find something similar to what you want to do.  If no one has done anything like it before, then that should suggest that it's really, really difficult and not because no one has ever thought of it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

mitchell03

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 12:16:16 pm »
Were you expecting this to be easy?

There are tons of Pokemon hacks out there already, so take a look around at what has been done already and see what utilities have been used. See if you can find something similar to what you want to do.  If no one has done anything like it before, then that should suggest that it's really, really difficult and not because no one has ever thought of it.

i have been using windhex, but i cant seem to find the text so i can edit it

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 12:48:52 pm »
i have been using windhex, but i cant seem to find the text so i can edit it
Did you read something somewhere that suggested you should be able to find the text with Windhex?

You may find this useful:

The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.

mitchell03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 01:17:59 pm »
Did you read something somewhere that suggested you should be able to find the text with Windhex?

You may find this useful:

The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.

yeah i did, i read it somewhere, is that not true? I can edit English red/blue with poketext, but poketext doesn't work on Japanese red/green/blue/yellow
is there another way to edit text without hex? like a different poketext that works with Japanese roms?

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 02:42:09 pm »
yeah i did, i read it somewhere, is that not true? I can edit English red/blue with poketext
When asking for help, it is always useful to start with what you have done already.

I would expect that Poketext would be unnecessary if you could do the same editing with a utility like Windhex.

but poketext doesn't work on Japanese red/green/blue/yellow
is there another way to edit text without hex? like a different poketext that works with Japanese roms?
If there is a "different poketext", you should be able to find it with Google.

There really isn't too much discussion of the hacking of Pokemon games here in general and you may be able to find more up-to-date information on a site with a greater focus on Pokemon hacking.

mitchell03

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 03:39:37 pm »
When asking for help, it is always useful to start with what you have done already.

I would expect that Poketext would be unnecessary if you could do the same editing with a utility like Windhex.
If there is a "different poketext", you should be able to find it with Google.

There really isn't too much discussion of the hacking of Pokemon games here in general and you may be able to find more up-to-date information on a site with a greater focus on Pokemon hacking.

I know i must be annoying, im sorry but i have read most documents on hex editing and have been trying to edit text for weeks, i still have made no progress, its so confusing, i found a poketext for english red/blue but still no edit text for japanese roms and ive searched all over google, sorry if im getting annoying but if you ever come across a poketext for japanese roms, please let me know, it seems a text editor is easier than windhex