News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Is there a good way to share .bin files just individually?  (Read 683 times)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Is there a good way to share .bin files just individually?
« on: October 15, 2021, 11:27:39 am »
It just took three hours for a pre-patched .bin file of Suikoden II to upload to Dropbox.com, and even then, it still wouldn't actually appear there, only in my offline folder.  I've just had to send it blindly to someone who applied on PeoplePerHour to hack it, and I'm not sure if he'll even see it.

I had also tried uploading it on Google Drive, zipped in fact, and it still couldn't be previewed or listed with my other stuff there.  (Email won't work, because the file is too big to be sent as an attachment.)

Does anyone know of a better place to store .bin files to share with others?  This will be especially important once anyone I hire finishes hacking a given game and needs to share it with me.

MysticLord

• View Profile
Re: Is there a good way to share .bin files just individually?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 11:37:54 am »
You're better off using the un-ecm tool to zero out EDC/ECC, because it will compress much better without that. Like, +15% to +30% better. Then have your end users use the (re-) ecm tool to rebuild it. And use a 7z archive, it compresses very well.

No idea where those are, I know Neil Corlett made them. They might be here on RHDN.

You could also figure out how to make a torrent and seed it if you're okay with people probably knowing your IP address.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 12:18:27 pm »
Thank you so much.  That seems to have worked so much more smoothly, so now I'll just need to wait to hear back from my applicant.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 12:51:46 pm »
a pre-patched .bin file
At the risk of stating the obvious: why not just upload the patch? I expect you would want to hire someone sufficiently compentent to find their own copy and apply the patch themselves.

I had also tried uploading it on Google Drive, zipped in fact, and it still couldn't be previewed or listed with my other stuff there.
I think you may need to explicitly enable sharing somewhere. The same may apply to Dropbox. Or you could just set up a new Google account and then share the password, if you're daring.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!