News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Kirby's Dream Land DX SGB Blank Screen  (Read 2751 times)

Jdoesstuff

• View Profile
Kirby's Dream Land DX SGB Blank Screen
« on: October 13, 2021, 11:46:48 am »
First off, I'd like to say that this colorized DX mod of Kirby's Dream Land is PHONOMENAL. Bright colors AND a SGB boarder!

Anyways, I tried setting up the original patch to my rom.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5635/

Then I applied the dx_revised_basic patch.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6224/

So far, the game runs perfectly fine on everything else, except for SGB.
Whenever I open the game up in BGB in SGB mode, the boarder pops up and the music plays, but the screen is completely blank. It's possible I might've missed something. But I'm not sure what else I can do.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

minucce

• View Profile
Re: Kirby's Dream Land DX SGB Blank Screen
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 11:45:49 pm »
Oh! Hi there! Somehow noticed your problem late. :)
(I tend to hide over here

The original DX patch only supports Gameboy Color; it barfs when running in Gameboy mode. By technical extension, Super Gameboy should also have same problem (it's not supposed to run being a GBC-exclusive).

Thanks for mentioning this! Never occurred to me that I should lock out SGB .. don't even know how it ran that far.

Jdoesstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 11:50:13 pm »
So there are no plans to make it SGB compatible?

That's a shame. The custom SGB boarder looks too utterly fantastic not to use.

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 12:00:51 am »
BGB runs border correctly in SGB + GBC mode; that's how I use it. I think latest mgba supports that mode also.

edit: Rushiomatsu offered the border design; it's a great choice!

(BGB screenshot)

There's no feasible way to run DX in mono / sgb mode (the engine was totally gutted to prevent dual compatibility).

Mmmm . .. .. regular KDL GB only has maybe 2-3 bugs (besides the speed lag which isn't going away). I never actually tried adding a SGB border to mono game, as SGB is uncharted territory for my hacking adventures.

That would be the best alternative I could think.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 12:06:00 am by minucce »

Jdoesstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 12:18:38 am »
Don't other DX games play on SGB, tho? I know I tried Wario Land 2 DX on it and it worked, game and boarder and all.

Why else would they make a SGB boarder for this hack if it doesn't even play on vanilla software? I guess I don't get it. lol

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 02:17:47 am »
I know I tried Wario Land 2 DX on it and it worked
The color version of Wario Land 2 was an official Nintendo product, not a hack, and specifically intended to run on the original GB (and SGB).

Why else would they make a SGB boarder for this hack if it doesn't even play on vanilla software? I guess I don't get it. lol
Because it looks cool?

(I presume you mean vanilla hardware.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 04:23:48 am »
Don't other DX games play on SGB, tho? I know I tried Wario Land 2 DX on it and it worked, game and boarder and all.

Nintendo never released a GBC attachment for the SNES.
GBC only games can contain an SGB border, but it'll be useless.

Several games have leftover graphics tiles from this. (Metafight EX, Pokemon Crystal, etc)

Jdoesstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 09:10:40 am »
The color version of Wario Land 2 was an official Nintendo product, not a hack, and specifically intended to run on the original GB (and SGB).
Because it looks cool?

(I presume you mean vanilla hardware.)

Well, yeah. Couldn't Kirby's Dream Land DX be built to be the same? What's the point of looking cool if you can't see it unless under very specific circumstances?
I just love the original Kirby's Dream Land and this could be the PERFECT version of it to play on anything like the original.

And yes, I meant hardware. It was 11 at night and I was tired. lol

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 10:09:35 am »
Border was a feature request for emulator-only audience (non-existant Super Gameboy Color), so I gave in.

It's not impossible to rebuild DX but would take a lot of effort; many things are hard-wired for GBC mode now and I don't want to introduce slowdown again (or adding unplayable sluggish lag to mono gb mode, defeating the point).

That responsibility lies more with the original author GreenandaCat who is active on Github, possibly inventing a KDL2 DX version.

I won't close the door but something of that scale is beyond my focus; if it isn't fun, I'm not doing it. Perfect, yes. Even I have my lower boundaries of when to stop.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 10:47:47 am »
Couldn't Kirby's Dream Land DX be built to be the same?
Since it was an official Nintendo product, Wario Land II was made by the original programmers, presumably working with the original source code.  Taking apart the final release of a game and adding extensive new features is much, much more difficult.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Jdoesstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 11:05:12 am »
Since it was an official Nintendo product, Wario Land II was made by the original programmers, presumably working with the original source code.  Taking apart the final release of a game and adding extensive new features is much, much more difficult.

I know I've made my own rom hacks out of Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow disassemblies. They all have the SGB boarders and color settings and still worked on OG hardware. That would still be very hard to do for Kirby?

I'm not trying to ask for you to do it. I'm just wondering if that'd even be possible and maybe give a little food for thought. But if it wasn't meant to be, I guess I'll just settle.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 11:22:14 am »
It's more that an SGB hack for the original Kirby's Dream Land is a better approach, than trying to port the GBC DX hack back to the original Game Boy in order to regain SGB compatibility.

minucce

• View Profile
Re: Kirby\'s Dream Land DX SGB Blank Screen
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 11:57:38 am »
Jdoesstuff would like an all-in-one universal hack, which I'm not against or fighting.

It's that HAL did some clever things originally, and GreenandaCat did some more clever things to outdo the first layer of tricks. Which left me trying to figure out how to fix everything and coming up with my own complicated ideas to make all the missing effects work. :laugh:
(the DX port did gut some important stuff that breaks compatibility, but I think lots of DX hacks do that)

It would take careful planning as a few missteps at this stage would heap more misery on misery. But.

October 27, 2021, 09:44:36 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
If you're willing to do a hardware test run (@JDoesStuff),
https://github.com/minucce/workbox/raw/6d7f0ab9d0964bd914328c1d1179d7aa02915fcd/box9/dx_basic.ips

Only works with non-revised DX (atm) because of the pancakes of hacks created to make GB support work. Basic SGB works in emus but that means nothing given my latest experience with NES hardware.

And I fixed another original mono bug (brief post-credits flicker).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 09:44:36 pm by minucce »

Jdoesstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 10:19:50 pm »
Oh wow! You didn't have to go to all that trouble!

I've only tested it on BGB. So when in SGB, the game plays but it's only in monochrome. As long as I can play it natively with that awesome boarder, I'm willing to sacrifice the color.:) Will there be plans for it to work with revised? Or would that be too many patches?

Regardless, thanks so much!<3

minucce

• View Profile
Re: Kirby\'s Dream Land DX SGB Blank Screen
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 11:25:29 pm »
I'll add Revised but I have to figure out how to add that layer to support mono also. Not a simple copy-paste. :)

I did go through all that trouble 'cause
- it's Kirby. The original cute.
- I'm likely the only one who understands all the crazy poof of what I did anyway
- mono GB is repaired and I don't have to maintain another project for it
- I'm not a fairy (allegedly they can do anything)
- it's now off my mind, nearly done and dusted, and won't be nagging me next month
- having dual GB / GBC support is awesome; more DX hacks should do this
- Someone should start working on making a Super Game Boy Color hardware

SameBoy adds a little more SGB color but I guess it's not much different from KDL2 SGB (4 colors per screen with a little more variety).

October 29, 2021, 09:40:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It's done and live!
https://github.com/minucce-yard/Kirbys_Dream_Land_GB/tree/4a57398ce7a353ebf60cfd0bac76d63929622d81
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:40:11 pm by minucce »

Jdoesstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2021, 01:28:11 pm »
That's amazing!

I did a little more testing today. I tried flashing the hack on a flash cart. It worked on an original Gameboy and GBC/GBA. But when I tried it on my Super Gameboy, all I got was a black screen. The boarder popped up and the music played, but the game screen was completely black..

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 07:19:48 pm »
1392 views and no other testers lurking? Anywho.

Guess it's up to us to solve this mystery! I have 2 candidates (only 1 needs testing):
https://github.com/minucce/workbox/raw/d0db0e193a8251e367625f11c14eea7afb5f52bc/box11/basic.ips
https://github.com/minucce/workbox/raw/d0db0e193a8251e367625f11c14eea7afb5f52bc/box11/plus.ips

Basically I'm following the SNES SGB rule book: timing, 65816 asm, procedure. It should work or at least get farther than a black screen of death.

I'm also told that "MiSTer FPGA Hardware" can run SGB borders in GBC mode (*)
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Gameboy_MiSTer

(*) if the game sends the commands to upload a border which KDL DX does)

Jdoesstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 02:39:39 pm »
Alright, I tested both of these patches on original hardware. Both of which resulted in a black screen..:(

Is it even possible on og hardware?

minucce

• View Profile
Re: Kirby\\\'s Dream Land DX SGB Blank Screen
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 03:32:38 pm »
Someone notified me to check out this homebrew game:
https://tangramgames.dk/tobutobugirldx/
https://github.com/SimonLarsen/tobutobugirl-dx

Which I'll get back to you if I find something. :-[
(Black screen is not known of and makes me want to throw something across the room.)

Thanks for trying your best!

EDIT: It'd be a good idea to test (Tobu Tobu Girl DX) on OG SGB hardware. Likely works!

November 02, 2021, 05:47:31 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Source code tells me I'm doing nearly everything the same way, minus some timing tweaks Tobu DX does.

What I noticed is that KDL DX sets CGB flag (C0) in the header; everyone else uses CGB + SGB flag (80).

https://github.com/minucce/workbox/raw/acd59990e49261f88a1ed534f700268210c3a503/box11/basic.ips

November 02, 2021, 08:56:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Looked everything over -a lot more thoughtfully-. Made some more timing tweaks and adjustments.

https://github.com/minucce/workbox/raw/1dd83ade41f3485f819c888c78a151997a6cfe5d/box11/basic.ips

I'm guessing the SGB hardware is just really picky and wants everything fed in a certain way and time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 08:56:21 pm by minucce »

Jdoesstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 11:11:42 am »
Tested the latest patch today, and it played normally! No black screen. :)

Although, one thing I noticed is that when I restart the console while playing, the boarder boots back to the vanilla SGB boarder with no option to restore the custom boarder. The only way I can get the boarder back is to manually turn the console off and on again.

Not sure if this can be fixed, but it's something to point out nonetheless.