News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: What is the best program/way to rip soundtracks off PS1 etc games?  (Read 1055 times)

BoneManWeirdo

• View Profile
How is the jpsxdec.exe file? is it worth it? Because it wasn't working for me.

All responses would be great. Cheers.

October 08, 2021, 08:47:50 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Might i add. I have these games in physical copy. Do i need to convert these to a .bin file?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 08:47:50 am by BoneManWeirdo »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: What is the best program/way to rip soundtracks off PS1 etc games?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 05:10:36 pm »
"PS1 etc?" Not sure what that means.

Audio differs between consoles and games. Usually it is noted the older stuff is harder as it is often completely custom and your game's composer was probably an equally skilled coder as any that were doing the game, CD stuff usually had CD audio and later stuff either has a format used by most of the system or a known format, though there are exceptions on every level.

As mentioned above then most PS1 stuff had audio tracks as plain old CD tracks. As in take a PS1 disc, put it in a CD player, probably skip the first track as it is data and will be worse than modem sounds and it will play just fine in an average CD player. Rip it with whatever your CD ripper of choice is (I used to quite like exact audio copy/EAC but there might be shinier things the kids are using now). Indeed depending upon your way of getting PS1 isos some even store the audio files as MP3 or something to cut down on size vs plain CD wave type setups.
Most is not all though https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Category:Game_Formats has a bunch of game related audio formats. I don't know if Criware ADX/AHX was on the PS1 as an alternative (Dreamcast is generally where most noted its ascension) but the jpsxdec is probably where most would look for XA audio formats. Square (Enix) is one of the more noted in this "not all" though as several of its games would stick audio data outside the normal data tracks and read the disc raw to that location meaning you get to play accordingly.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 11:26:20 pm »
Most is not all though
Most? The list is fairly short. I don't think either one of these is complete:
https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?11378-PlayStation-1-games-that-you-can-listen-to-on-your-CD-player
https://tme.miraheze.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_with_CD_audio_tracks

Zophar.net has a big PSF archive for Playstation games. I doubt it's easy to make one's own PSF rip from scratch, and trying to swap one game's PSF music with PSF music from another game is probably an entirely different matter. But there it is.
https://www.zophar.net/music/playstation-psf
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 04:50:31 am »
Zophar.net has a big PSF archive for Playstation games. I doubt it's easy to make one's own PSF rip from scratch, and trying to swap one game's PSF music with PSF music from another game is probably an entirely different matter. But there it is.
Seconding Zophar's list.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 06:14:23 am »
https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?11378-PlayStation-1-games-that-you-can-listen-to-on-your-CD-player
https://tme.miraheze.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_with_CD_audio_tracks

Heh. Must have got very lucky with my picks in the past then. Though that list is a good chunk of what I played/was around to copy on the PS1.

BoneManWeirdo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 06:53:12 am »
"PS1 etc?" Not sure what that means.

Audio differs between consoles and games. Usually it is noted the older stuff is harder as it is often completely custom and your game's composer was probably an equally skilled coder as any that were doing the game, CD stuff usually had CD audio and later stuff either has a format used by most of the system or a known format, though there are exceptions on every level.

As mentioned above then most PS1 stuff had audio tracks as plain old CD tracks. As in take a PS1 disc, put it in a CD player, probably skip the first track as it is data and will be worse than modem sounds and it will play just fine in an average CD player. Rip it with whatever your CD ripper of choice is (I used to quite like exact audio copy/EAC but there might be shinier things the kids are using now). Indeed depending upon your way of getting PS1 isos some even store the audio files as MP3 or something to cut down on size vs plain CD wave type setups.
Most is not all though https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Category:Game_Formats has a bunch of game related audio formats. I don't know if Criware ADX/AHX was on the PS1 as an alternative (Dreamcast is generally where most noted its ascension) but the jpsxdec is probably where most would look for XA audio formats. Square (Enix) is one of the more noted in this "not all" though as several of its games would stick audio data outside the normal data tracks and read the disc raw to that location meaning you get to play accordingly.

I know that. Played plenty of PS1 soundtracks in my CD player over the years when i was a teen.

What i want to do is rip the soundtrack off Abe's Oddysee and more so Exoddus. I got jpsxdec and CDmage. Does not seem to be working but.

BoneManWeirdo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 06:55:01 am »

That's pretty cool.

October 11, 2021, 07:11:19 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok it looks like its virtually impossible. So the next question i ask.

How do you play the PS1 game on your PC?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:11:19 am by BoneManWeirdo »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 12:21:39 am »
What i want to do is rip the soundtrack off Abe's Oddysee and more so Exoddus.
It seems the Oddysse OST is available on Steam or even cheaper on BandCamp.

Alternatively, it looks like people have reverse-engineered the game engine and there is probably some way to extract the game soundtrack that way.
https://aliveteam.github.io/

I suggest asking at https://www.reddit.com/r/oddworld/ for more details.  The point is, these are very popular games and even if there aren't techniques that can be universally applied to all games, someone somewhere has probably done something with these specific games already.

Ok it looks like its virtually impossible.
Not really, but it requires skills that not many people have.

How do you play the PS1 game on your PC?
You mean playing the game instead of playing the soundtrack? Isn't that a completely different question?

You use an emulator. I hear Duckstation is popular nowadays.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 12:33:18 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

BoneManWeirdo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 02:51:20 am »
Well yeah i was going to install an emulator on my PC so i can play the game and rip the audio that way. But if there is ANOTHER alternative then i might give that a crack instead.

Cheers.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 03:24:57 pm »
Well yeah i was going to install an emulator on my PC so i can play the game and rip the audio that way. But if there is ANOTHER alternative then i might give that a crack instead.

Cheers.
IIRC PSF (Playstation Sound Format) players are literally PS1 sound system emulators, and PSF is just the sounds data isolated from those games with some identifying metadata slapped on. Once you isolate the sounds data, you need to understand music, electronic sound processing, and a programming language enough to convert the PSFs to some other format.

I don't think it's that easy though, because I've never seen a PSF to FLAC converter. There's probably some additional custom work to be done with each game (related to looping and conditional playing/stopping/effects), since they probably have some custom code to handle music.

I've only heard of like 10 people doing any music related romhacking, and the person best equipped to handle these questions (Neil Corlett) is long gone and has been for about 15 years.

tl;dr

Get Associates of Applied Science in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, and Sound Engineering from a properly equipped community college or vocational education school; or just download the ripped music.

The Beaky Buccaneer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 05:45:47 pm »
I don't know if these tools are still updated in this day and age (the pages on Zophar's Domain suggest not), but I remember PsxMC and PSMplay being useful for games that used XA audio (however, I don't know if the Abe games used this format). They could also handle movie and image files, too.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 08:36:09 pm »
Perhaps I should emphasize that these games already have PC ports, and the PC versions probably have the same soundtracks, possibly in a more accessible format?

I don't think it's that easy though, because I've never seen a PSF to FLAC converter.
Oh, that's easy enough: just play the music in a PSF player of some sort or another, and write the output to disk. (I would use Winamp's Disk Writer plugin, but there are probably better ways now.)

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 07:08:38 am »
Perhaps I should emphasize that these games already have PC ports, and the PC versions probably have the same soundtracks, possibly in a more accessible format?
There's a clone of Abe's Oddysee that I assume requires the original installation, it probably uses upgraded music or has a script to rip the soundtrack from the original install. I doubt it works with the PS1 version though.

Oh, that's easy enough: just play the music in a PSF player of some sort or another, and write the output to disk. (I would use Winamp's Disk Writer plugin, but there are probably better ways now.)
That's convenient.