News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: English Translation of Mario's Super Picross  (Read 5242 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: English Translation of Mario's Super Picross
« on: October 06, 2021, 09:14:49 am »

Update By: FCandChill

Mario's Super Picross is a game that doesn't need an introduction. Despite having a worldwide release on Virtual Console and Nintendo Switch Online, it remained untranslated. Now for the first time ever, Mario's Super Picross is available in English!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

FCandChill

• View Profile
Re: Translations: English Translation of Mario's Super Picross
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 11:44:57 am »
I've read the four reviews on the website (which by the way, is pretty insane to have for less than a day after release and 100 downloads), and I appreciate the feedback and the fact people really enjoy the translation! A couple of people commented on the katakana puzzles at the very beginning. Replacing the puzzles was something I considered. After realizing the puzzles spell "Mario's Picross" and the fact that there's plenty of other Japanese culture puzzles, I left the puzzles alone. Sometime in the future, I'll release my translation tools, which can assist in a hacker changing the puzzles as they see fit.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 12:19:34 pm »
I'm not necessarily interested in this game very much, but congratulations to FCandChill for coming up with a first-ever English translation for it!

I'm just curious as to why the hell this wasn't officially translated from the Japanese into other languages (including English) for international release. Not everyone knows Japanese, so why leave it in that language?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 09:41:49 am by RetroGameFan »

Trickless

• View Profile
    • Japan Adventure Attack!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 12:39:41 pm »
Thanks! I spent so much time playing this on the SNES mini during lockdown last year

InAnotherCastle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 04:08:56 pm »
I enjoyed this so much on Switch online I purchased the SFC version for the shelf. Now I shall sideload it with the translation. Cheers!

DarkBowser64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 04:41:10 pm »
Excellent work! Just gave it a play and plan to share its existence with friends. I recently got quite into it after discovering it was on Switch Online. I personally like that all the Japanese-centric puzzles were kept.

It feels silly that something with so little text was never translated by Nintendo themselves. They even uploaded a tutorial video onto YouTube that basically translates the tutorial of the game, but covers up the actual tutorial text with their captions. But it's not as if someone just discovering it on the NSO app is going to look on YouTube for that kind of thing, and you lose the actual description of what each item is as well as the charming little text bits that Mario and Wario say.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 10:59:19 pm »
Thanks for this!

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 01:57:41 am »
Hi, gamers... There's a small bug at the very end of the game that was reported by someone. A puzzle with an incredibly long name wasn't displaying its name. It's one of those hidden puzzles that are easy to miss. While I tracked down the cause of the puzzle's name disappearing, I want to do some more testing. I'll upload a new patch when I get the chance.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:05:53 am by FCandChill »

victordg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 03:31:08 am »
Thanks a lot @FCandChill! I'm loving the translation, big fan of Picross games thanks to this one.

A question/request; have you considered getting into the NP series? I figure they use the same engine as the Mario. Otherwise since you mention releasing the tools, do you now if they would work as well with the NP roms?

In any case, thanks again for your dedication, this gem deserved a translation this good.

FSH17

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 03:52:10 am »
Thanks a lot !
Great job !

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 06:32:40 am »
I noticed that the Level 1-D ("No") is glitched when trying to show its completed form on the main menu after beating that level.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 09:47:50 am »
I'm just curious as to why the hell this wasn't officially translated from the Japanese into other languages (including English) for international release. Not everyone knows Japanese, so why leave it in that language?
This question has still not been answered.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking this again, but do none of you have any idea why this game wasn't officially translated from the Japanese? Would such a thing be considered off-topic?

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 10:43:58 am »
Alright, version 1.2 is in the submission queue. Both the bug I described and the one svenge described are fixed. Thanks to the people who reported them.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking this again, but do none of you have any idea why this game wasn't officially translated from the Japanese? Would such a thing be considered off-topic?

Nintendo never gave an official statement as to why, so we can only guess... Mario's Super Picross probably wasn't worth the effort to Nintendo being a non-mainline game. Additionally, you don't need to know Japanese to be able to play the game.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 11:47:39 am »
It's the benefit of hindsight. Cartridges were really expensive to produce, and there wasn't always a guarantee that they were going to sell. I mean, Nintendo officially translated Mother 1, and then never released it because they didn't think it would make back the manufacturing and marketing budget.

At the time, Nintendo's target market demographic was young boys. Picross is a game that appeals mainly to adults; only a few kids I know would have had the patience to sit down and do a logic puzzle. It's not like Tetris or Dr. Mario, which have a bunch of micros successes every few seconds, building to a larger success at the end. Sometimes, a single Picross puzzle can take you 30 minutes, with a payoff only happening at the end. As much as I absolutely love Picross now, I think it would have been a risky endeavor to release it to the US at the time. That's just my 2 cents though.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 01:02:39 pm »

Nintendo translated the tutorial for Mario's Super Picross in English... for a promotional video of their untranslated rerelease of the Switch Online version.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 05:14:17 pm »
Thanks for your responses guys! I think I now have a better idea of why the game was officially left untranslated. :)

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 06:58:26 pm »
Also, part of the reason why Mario Picross sold well in Japan is because Picross was actually invented in Japan in 1987. So gamers were at least familiar with the game already in 1995. It's harder to market outside Japan considering it was probably obscure or not know at all prior.

Vercalos

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 12:16:30 am »
Here's a translation I never expected to see. I've completed the majority of this game already :P

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 01:41:51 pm »
A question/request; have you considered getting into the NP series? I figure they use the same engine as the Mario. Otherwise since you mention releasing the tools, do you now if they would work as well with the NP roms?

Because of your post, I decided to quickly examine the compression. It's similar compression, but I guess they decided to add more commands to the compression scheme. A lot of people cite Picross NP as being similar to Mario's Super Picross, but Picross from the recently dumped 8M_2.SFC rom is a lot more similar (I guess Tamori no Picross as well, but I haven't played that one). Mario's Super Picross also contains the save screen from it, albeit unused.

The save screens between the different Picross games about sums up my thoughts on the games. In Mario's Super Picross you have either Mario or Wario giving you a message. Picross from 8M_2.SFC gives a generic message on a stone slab. Picross NP doesn't give a message at all. Mario's Super Picross has a lot of personality to it that's just not there with the other Picross games, which drew me in. There's apparently a whopping total of 8 volumes on Picross NP.  Aside from puzzles that are themed after different franchises and a mascot on the titlescreen, most of the assets are the same. They all feel like generic Picross games, although Picross NP is a prettier game than the others, however, the controls are a bit more slippery.

Anyway, I've considered it, and I probably won't touch them. Also, I don't think there's a huge demands for them anyway.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:57:39 pm by FCandChill »

Cralex

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2021, 03:03:48 pm »
Really, really happy to see a translation for this! I caught the picross bug with the Gameboy games and always hoped for a translation for this game, too.

I have the NP Picross and other SFC games too. It definitely makes sense that they would lack the personality of Mario’s Super Picross. Even a menu translation of the other games would be nice someday. More than once I’ve accidentally quitted a puzzle when I was meaning to save it for later.