News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The Minucce Yard  (Read 14641 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: The Minucce Yard
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2021, 08:39:27 pm »
I'm constantly juggling several+ projects at once, so I will slot Zelda 1+2 into the higher-colored sticky pile; ironically I thought someone would've blasted those away by now but there's likely something ("cursed") about writing menu code.

I need to look at ALttP to see how the menu works. Probably why I haven't thought much about the NES ones yet. :|

I appreciate you move it into the sticky pile ;D
As for the SRAM stuff, for Zelda 1 I think most of it is located around $6000-$6FFF in RAM.
The whole three save slots' data is stored around there from what I recall in some tests and bugfixes from Redux:
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:RAM_map#SRAM
http://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda1/zelda1rammap.txt

For Zelda 2 I am not sure, I never really delved into SRAM stuff for it, but from what I've seen it could be around $7400~ in RAM:
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Zelda_II:_The_Adventure_of_Link:RAM_map
http://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda2/zelda2rammap.txt

Zelda 1 Redux has a partially working code so you can select empty saves slots manually, and doing so redirects you to the "Register Your Name" screen (file_tweaks.asm in the source code), and Zelda 2 Redux has code so you can use the DPad Up or Down to go Up/Down in the File Select menu, like in more recent Zeldas. Combining the two for each NES Zelda would be a hell of a good starting point. From there it'd be a matter of redirecting the "REGISTER YOUR NAME" option  (note the "redirect" here, as that screen will still be used when starting new games)  in the File Select screens to instead work as a Copy File menu.

Still though, focus first on all the pending stuff you have going on atm, as I don't want to intrude nor cutoff any current progress, as I know the importance of focus on each project.
I wanted to post that info for posterity's sake and reference.

When you feel ready for this, let me know and contact me to get into the details. ;D
Thanks again!

blgmadresh0000

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2021, 05:52:29 am »
does the basic or plus version use the sgb border so I know which one to patch?

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2021, 10:03:22 am »
All Kirby patches have sgb border.

----

New sgb hardware test patch  (revised)
https://github.com/minucce/workbox/raw/d0db0e193a8251e367625f11c14eea7afb5f52bc/box11/basic.ips
https://github.com/minucce/workbox/raw/d0db0e193a8251e367625f11c14eea7afb5f52bc/box11/plus.ips

wip source:
https://github.com/minucce/workbox/tree/43aef7841ce5a9b60904417de283f40d0e660c79

Follow SNES hardware rules

1) Don't race clock
- 1 VBL per I/O
- 5 VBL to freeze screen
- 6 VBL to transfer vram tiles

2) Standard mask_en (1 or 2)

3) Upload snes init program

October 31, 2021, 10:41:00 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Someone noticed that Kracko rolls the eye when hit in mono but shakes in color mode (DX bug). Later later.

October 31, 2021, 11:28:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Starting fresh on Zelda 1 Redux using my own code rewrite. Not much to say; not ready to post in Redux thread.
- Up / Down + Select moves cursor on main menu
- Selecting blank save opens Register menu

TODO:
- Add cursor moving code for Erase File
- Erase File to Main Menu  (file_tweaks has wrong cursor color bug)
- Register menu uses correct chosen slot  (file_tweaks uses 1st open file)
- Add copy function (*)

(*) I can understand why it's not done; game engine does not let you use a direct approach. All 3 modes (register, copy, erase) will flow through the same code paths and it's a pretty large routine to add detours.

The Zelda 2 erase demo by DarkSamus993 is pretty wild! Creative GUI adjustments but must've been some heavy work.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 05:50:37 pm by minucce »

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2021, 08:42:56 am »
Hi, minuce
Your works are wonderful and I like your hacks!
And I changed the title screen of Ys (J) to my liking.
==>

Nice work Datchy!

For some reason it should be applied after the Service Repair hack, otherwise it messes up the girl face. So weird  :laugh:

Anyway it's curious that, applied over the repair, there is a tiny difference in the lip from applying over a clean rom. Really weird again ;D

Also, for some reason, translations must be applied after this patch. (So the appropriate order is Service Repair => Title Screen => Translation)

Last, there is a blue pixel in the left (right) ear that should be corrected.

Thanks all of you for your contributions!!

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2021, 09:12:39 am »
Not weird. I wasn't expecting someone to clean up some of the original tiny graphics errors (near lip, left / right chin).

So I will have to rebuild and rebase the patch orders. Thanks for mentioning this!

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2021, 09:33:36 am »
Oops! I had forgot your hack did some minor touches. Anyway it's curious that your hack and Datchy's remove the gloss in the lip (white pixel), however, when patching Repair+Title screen, that white pixel returns from the beyond, and it's the only difference from an "title screen only" patched rom.

There's no need to do anything else in my opinion, or so I think.

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2021, 10:52:27 am »
Notice the extra changes Datchy made:

Our two hacks are now compatible (apply any order):
https://github.com/minucce/workbox/raw/2e6e7336a71e4799e310e649a1d8783ec8b4e206/box12/plus.datchy.ips
https://github.com/minucce/workbox/raw/2e6e7336a71e4799e310e649a1d8783ec8b4e206/box12/basic.datchy.ips

English must be applied last still! And now I have to figure out how to manage all the complaints between the 'purists' and 'revisionists'. And be super clear in the readme. :laugh:

Pethronos

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2021, 12:35:46 pm »
All you need to do is preserve all the previous versions ;D

By the way, I noticed that Japan and English versions of your patch are in fact the same patches. Maybe you could name them simply 'Vanilla' (or something like that).

That way, there would be 3 versions:

- Vanilla rom
- Pacnsacdave's Occidental Title
- Datchy New Title Screen

EDIT:

Ok, just figured out your move. Since the Datchy compatible is the pure repair patch without cosmetic changes, another option is:

-Service repair only (vanilla and Datchy's new title screen compatible)
-Service repair + litle cosmetic change (not compatible with Datchy's)
-Pacnsacdave occidental title version
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:04:12 pm by Pethronos »

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2021, 02:46:49 pm »
I appreciate your suggestions! Just that I've had some terribly annoying experiences with users over the year; many are genuinely confused though and not out to be troublemakers. 8)

(I had one who saw the readme for maybe a minute? Applied any order because I specifically did not forbid the patching sequence (did not follow the #s).. Somehow got a bad rom anyway (tested to be compatible). Claimed to be a Magna Cum Laude (:P) and accused me of being a cranky 17yo schoolgirl who takes sharpened #2 pencils and shoves them up opponents' butts)  ::) ::)

To keep things simpler, I'm creating a bunch of folders with separate pictures and patching instructions. Because lots of people do not like my readmes. :)

If there's enough people who don't want a combo, then I'll split them into add-ons. Users have to compromise with me also or learn how to edit the source code! :police:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2021, 03:45:58 pm »
Starting fresh on Zelda 1 Redux using my own code rewrite. Not much to say; not ready to post in Redux thread.
- Up / Down + Select moves cursor on main menu
- Selecting blank save opens Register menu

TODO:
- Add cursor moving code for Erase File
- Erase File to Main Menu  (file_tweaks has wrong cursor color bug)
- Register menu uses correct chosen slot  (file_tweaks uses 1st open file)
- Add copy function (*)

(*) I can understand why it's not done; game engine does not let you use a direct approach. All 3 modes (register, copy, erase) will flow through the same code paths and it's a pretty large routine to add detours.

The Zelda 2 erase demo by DarkSamus993 is pretty wild! Creative GUI adjustments but must've been some heavy work.

Oh so you've already done some work on Z1's menu, that's nice!
Indeed, in both Z1 and Z2 the Copy feature would be the most intriguing one to accomplish.
At the moment, the only game I can recall which had a Copy system in place for save slots is Mother 1 (or EarthBound Beginnings). Maybe looking at how that one does it could help?

Indeed, the Zelda 2 demo DarkSamus posted is quite an accomplishment, sadly that one never saw any beta release to work upon :/

blgmadresh0000

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2021, 06:57:33 am »
is it possible to play kirby's dream land in color with the super game boy boarder or do I have to choose?

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2021, 09:21:36 am »
I've been using Kirby (GBC + SGB border) all the time (emulators). I've heard that MiSTer FPGA hardware also shows GBC + SGB border.

SameBoy Retroarch (default works)

+

----

Questions about ALttP and Zelda menus:
- SNES ("disables") choosing erase or copy when no slots active. Follow behavior?
- Erase Player only works once then returns to main menu. Old or new behavior?
- Confirm choices?
- B to select menu choices?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2021, 10:54:21 am »
The Kirby updates look great! I might update to the latest hardware WIPs and give them a go :D

Questions about ALttP and Zelda menus:
- SNES ("disables") choosing erase or copy when no slots active. Follow behavior?
- Erase Player only works once then returns to main menu. Old or new behavior?
- Confirm choices?
- B to select menu choices?

1) I think other Zeldas do that as well, sounds good to disable both of those options when there are no saves available.

2) Not sure what you mean with this one. You mean if you have multiple slots and erase one, you cannot delete another until you reset? Or that if you delete one it goes back to the main menu? If it's the latter, then it's fine, later Zeldas do that too (go back to File menu after deleting one save file).

3) If it's possible, yes. Probably something like what DarkSamus did in his demo. If it's too much trouble, leaving it as-is should be okay.

4) You mean pressing B for all menus in the File menus? Or just for the Erase menu?
I think keeping it on Start is fine, then the confirmation appears and you press Start on it to confirm the erase. Changing buttons for selections between menus might confuse some people, I think.

blgmadresh0000

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2021, 11:32:02 am »
what is the setup for sameboy retroatch mine is the psclassic?

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2021, 03:24:45 pm »
Code: [Select]
Retroarch SameBoy 0.14.7

Emulated Model = Auto-Detect DMG/SGB/CGB
Auto-detected SGB Model = Super Game Boy 2
Video - GBC Color Correction = Off (Revised without pink lcd patch)
Video - Display Border = Always

Fray

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2021, 12:44:58 pm »
Hi minucce, I know you might not want to hear about Ys anymore, but I realized that when you walk into Olman's bar, the image is corrupted. So I thought I'd fix it with what little skill I've learned. I haven't created a patch because it's just a matter of swapping three tiles and so I'm attaching an image from the hex editor to show you what needs to be changed. I hope you will want to include this change in your patch.

There is another thing I noticed in this image, and that is that the image is "burned". In fact if the main color is black why did they make a palette with two blacks? And so changing that color has this result:

In this case, the area outside the window should be corrected using the main black, so the image inside that window would gain an extra color.
The following look like all the images that are "burned":
Spoiler:
I noticed another thing, when you arrive in the village of Zepic, the roofs of the houses have tiles that are animated. I think it depends on the fact that they are the same tiles that represent water:

Obviously, without any commitment on your part, I thank you once again!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 02:13:11 pm by Fray »

minucce

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2021, 02:08:50 pm »
Thanks for contributing! I will add your patch + credit to the collection when I make another go-around. :thumbsup:
(have to also add Datchy + Spanish cross-compatibility which held me up and put Ys into the cooler)

I always thought something looked wrong about that portrait but you figured it out! Nice when others' are helping out!

In this case, the area outside the window should be corrected using the main black, so the image inside that window would gain an extra color.

Currently the backdrop is using tile $FF; it should be switched to a transparent tile. ($D5?)

Going to upload the next Kirby build (without the kracko fix), which was tested by Jdoesstuff to work on sgb hardware, minus a fix I added for console reset.

Zelda 1 menu is marching along. Messy stuff but I'm a lot more familiar with Z1 engine than Z2 (0%).

November 03, 2021, 02:10:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I noticed another thing, when you arrive in the village of Zepic, the roofs of the houses have tiles that are animated. I think it depends on the fact that they are the same tiles that represent water:

I saw the same thing and you are correct. I ... am confused if that was the intention (textured roof) or really a goof-up.

November 03, 2021, 02:13:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Interesting finding about the other "burned" images. Didn't realize there could be extra details hiding. 8)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 02:13:58 pm by minucce »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2021, 03:00:44 pm »
Going to upload the next Kirby build (without the kracko fix), which was tested by Jdoesstuff to work on sgb hardware, minus a fix I added for console reset.

Zelda 1 menu is marching along. Messy stuff but I'm a lot more familiar with Z1 engine than Z2 (0%).

Looking forward to the Kirby update :D

As for the Zelda stuff, perhaps this could help:
https://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda1/
https://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda2/
(Namely the zeldaXbankX.txt files)

They're the disassemblies made by Trax for both Zelda 1 and Zelda 2.
They're not 100% complete, but it should give a good idea of where things are and what they do.
For Zelda 2, I think most of the File Menu stuff is located inside Bank 5, adround $1722D according to Trax's documentation.

There's an ASM file that already moves the cursor up and down with the DPad for Zelda 2 here:
https://github.com/ShadowOne333/Zelda2-Redux/blob/master/code/menus/file_select.asm

Maybe that can help out a bit more towards achieving the same thing from Zelda 1's changes into Zelda 2.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2021, 07:37:36 pm »
You can try requesting something (small) but that will greatly depend on my mood and scheduling.
Say, this recent talk about GBC/GBC compatibility reminds me: do you think you might please spare a minute to see if you could remedy the compatibility problem preventing the Konami GB Collection from running on Goomba Color? Obviously it would be better to fix Goomba Color, but such a fix does not seem to be forthcoming.

As discussed in https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=31632.msg402769#msg402769 , Lameboy (for the DS) apparently had a similar problem related to the use of the STOP opcode, which might be used in this case to switch the GBC CPU mode. Maybe it will work properly if the STOP opcode is removed?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2021, 08:10:03 pm »
Say, this recent talk about GBC/GBC compatibility reminds me: do you think you might please spare a minute to see if you could remedy the compatibility problem preventing the Konami GB Collection from running on Goomba Color? Obviously it would be better to fix Goomba Color, but such a fix does not seem to be forthcoming.

As discussed in https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=31632.msg402769#msg402769 , Lameboy (for the DS) apparently had a similar problem related to the use of the STOP opcode, which might be used in this case to switch the GBC CPU mode. Maybe it will work properly if the STOP opcode is removed?

I might add, that issue with the Konami Collections and Pokemon Crystal having graphical bugs are the worst offenders when it comes to Goomba Color.