News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mega Man Xtreme 2 Dash Button has released!  (Read 2627 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Mega Man Xtreme 2 Dash Button has released!
« on: September 28, 2021, 06:33:46 am »

Update By: ArcadeGamer1929

Mega Man Xtreme 2 lacks something that the original has: a dedicated dash button.

In this ROM Hack, the dash button is now coded to use Select, a new button config. option has been added to switch between it and the control schemes from the unmodded game, and save files are compatible with the unmodded game.

I hope you enjoy this as much as it was to make this!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Netmonmatt

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Mega Man Xtreme 2 Dash Button has released!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 08:23:20 am »
This hack is fantastic!
I literally just tried to run Xtreme 2 yesterday and realized that it did not have a dash button just like in Xtreme 1.
It had some decent workarounds, but it's just not the same as having a proper Dash button. However, I've already run into a pretty major bug.
You mention that you can pause in places you shouldn't but it doesn't affect dialog, and that seems to be true. However, I just ran into a softlock in Launch Octopus's stage by pausing at the last miniboss before opening the boss door. The door won't open now!

I'm not sure if this would affect any door of this type, but I definitely can't get through here no matter what I do.
Otherwise, this is great, I'm so glad you made this.

jim35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 07:56:13 pm »
I wish these two games were remade with the original snes games graphics they were based on.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 05:03:52 pm by jim35 »

ZEROmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 01:26:35 am »
How do you perform the Scramble Change then if SELECT is used for DASH?

ArcadeGamer1929

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 12:09:01 pm »
This hack is fantastic!
I literally just tried to run Xtreme 2 yesterday and realized that it did not have a dash button just like in Xtreme 1.
It had some decent workarounds, but it's just not the same as having a proper Dash button. However, I've already run into a pretty major bug.
You mention that you can pause in places you shouldn't but it doesn't affect dialog, and that seems to be true. However, I just ran into a softlock in Launch Octopus's stage by pausing at the last miniboss before opening the boss door. The door won't open now!

I'm not sure if this would affect any door of this type, but I definitely can't get through here no matter what I do.
Otherwise, this is great, I'm so glad you made this.
Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix this wherever I can

Edit: I wasn't able to recreate it, are you able to post a video showing on how to?

October 02, 2021, 12:13:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
How do you perform the Scramble Change then if SELECT is used for DASH?
Changing the select button to W.Change X/Zero Change, in the Button Config. menu should allow it to be used, but I have yet to try this

Edit: I was misinformed on what Scramble Change was, fixed my reply
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:47:43 pm by ArcadeGamer1929 »

ZEROmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 06:06:58 pm »
Tank you for your answer!!

I will take a look at the patch! :D

ArcadeGamer1929

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 02:33:56 pm »
Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix this wherever I can

Edit: I wasn't able to recreate it, are you able to post a video showing on how to?

October 02, 2021, 12:13:58 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Changing the select button to W.Change X/Zero Change, in the Button Config. menu should allow it to be used, but I have yet to try this

Edit: I was misinformed on what Scramble Change was, fixed my reply
Nevermind, I was able to recreate the softlock, as I've said before, I'll fix this whenever I can

Netmonmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 12:10:20 am »
Good, glad I was able to get through, it took a few days for my post to be approved!
Thanks for replying so quickly, good luck!

ArcadeGamer1929

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 07:15:09 am »
Sorry for coming back so late, unfortunately I wasn't able to completely fix the door bug. I got close to fixing it a couple of times, but a different one would always arise: a buster shot getting fired and charging up being reset (the former of which I was able to fix), I wasn't able to get it to function normally no matter how much I poked into the charging code.

The best way to get around this is to switch to W.Change, then doors should be able to open normally. If you think you have the skills and knowledge to fix this, shoot me a private message, and I'll send you a patch with my attempted fix.

Netmonmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 08:44:16 am »
Thanks for working so hard on it!
Unfortunately, I'm not particularly good at this sort of thing, but I appreciate all the effort and a workaround at the very least! I'll be more mindful of swaps and if I trigger the bug again, I at least know how to fix it.
Thanks much!

ArcadeGamer1929

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 03:31:34 pm »
No problem! :)