News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Adventure - Text Editing Tool  (Read 1538 times)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Final Fantasy Adventure - Text Editing Tool
« on: September 18, 2021, 11:53:12 am »
Heyo,

Me and Rabbitbones are working on a text editor for FFAdventure, based on Tomato's documentation for the game (many thanks Mato!). It's pretty close to being finished now, and excited to see what people will do with it (I'll probably try my best to do a restoration/relocalization).
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Adventure - Text Editing Tool
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 12:06:45 pm »
That should be cool. I've always found the original US script to be "a product of the times". I even didn't like the character names (feel too western, while the story and game world feel like typical J-RPG fare to me - a mismatch). These personal gripes have always made me want to do a large scale edit. A tool for that task would be rather handy given the "hands-on" nature of formatting text in many old games.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 04:00:43 pm »
Yeah, I've never actually played this game. I played Sword of Mana, but wanted to experience this old title with some updates.

One thing that might be in the way is that there's no way to actually add text (space limitations, box sizes), so you're still stuck with the small amount of space.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 04:33:15 pm »
Yeah, I've never actually played this game. I played Sword of Mana, but wanted to experience this old title with some updates.

Other than the text, I'd say it still stands up today. I don't have any sentimental attachment to it but I'm still excited for the next time I can give it another playthrough.

One thing that might be in the way is that there's no way to actually add text (space limitations, box sizes), so you're still stuck with the small amount of space.

Yeah, I could imagine the amount of real-estate on the screen and in the ROM are both pretty crowded if not completely stuffed. Assuming the editor keeps track of and modifies the pointers for the text you might be able to make a little bit of room by going through and seeing if any of the text feels poorly/inefficiently worded (which is probably already one of your goals). And while it can be difficult to keep the text looking uniform, you might be able to employ some "squishy tiles" to buy an extra tile or two on screen. Every little bit helps, I suppose. I don't know much about GB hardware but I would assume that compression is probably out of the question due to performance issues (assuming there's any room at all for the extra processing).

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 10:59:12 am »
I do have sentimental attachment to it. So this news makes me very happy! Hopefully there will be an updated script someday thanks to this tool!  :)

arathron123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 04:21:11 pm »
Hi! Maybe you would like my script, it allows to edit text, scripts, maps, and music.

https://github.com/arathron123/mystic-editor

Ok Impala!

• View Profile
    • Ok Impala!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 12:39:53 am »
Hi! Maybe you would like my script, it allows to edit text, scripts, maps, and music.

https://github.com/arathron123/mystic-editor

Wow! This is a really cool program! Why isn't this on RHDN?  :)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 07:37:15 am »
Would like to ask the same lol. We have a nice UI coming with it, but this one seems to edit more.  :banghead:

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 01:38:18 pm »
Would like to ask the same lol. We have a nice UI coming with it, but this one seems to edit more.  :banghead:

By your powers combined...

arathron123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 03:19:04 pm »
Wow! This is a really cool program! Why isn't this on RHDN?  :)

I wasn't going to upload my script as I still consider it far from finished.  But when I saw Thirteen message about he making a text editor for it, I thought I should post my script as it is, because it can already be useful.  So I registered yesterday both to github and here.  For a (far) future release I would like to make the scripting language (which I call mystic-script or short mscript) to be compatible to some subset of the lua language and exportable both back to gameboy rom and to the solarus engine https://www.solarus-games.org/.

To submit to RHDN do I have to zip it, or can I just upload the link?  After that will I have to mantain both github and this zip?  (It would be more practical to just post the link) 

I also found someone is working on a dissasembly for this game https://github.com/daid/FFA-Disassembly.

As SunGod said, we should join our forces!

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 12:45:43 pm »
Whoops, haven't responded in a while. Currently I'm also checking out for options to update the translations for FF1 and 2 on PS1 (since I'm not very satisfied by the Pixel Remasters after all). Mostly focusing on that now, but creating a tool for that is on a much higher level than this, and there's no tools I can find for even extracting these .bin files.

ElwinBran

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 02:04:01 pm »
I wasn't going to upload my script as I still consider it far from finished.  But when I saw Thirteen message about he making a text editor for it, I thought I should post my script as it is, because it can already be useful.  So I registered yesterday both to github and here.  For a (far) future release I would like to make the scripting language (which I call mystic-script or short mscript) to be compatible to some subset of the lua language and exportable both back to gameboy rom and to the solarus engine https://www.solarus-games.org/.

To submit to RHDN do I have to zip it, or can I just upload the link?  After that will I have to mantain both github and this zip?  (It would be more practical to just post the link) 

I also found someone is working on a dissasembly for this game https://github.com/daid/FFA-Disassembly.

As SunGod said, we should join our forces!

Thanks for the information and work so far! As Thirteen said, I am developing a tool to easily edit the text of FFA, for retranslation purposes. It is finished, at least as a 'beta' version (have yet to release the C# source code). Unlike your tool it only edits text files, not the ROM and I relied on Tomato's utility for acquiring all the text of the game.

I tried your tool and it sadly did not work for me, or it worked but still threw an error... "UnicodeEncodeError: 'cp932' codec can't encode character '\xb7' in position 60: illegal multibyte sequence" To which I proceeded some simple fix by forcing utf-8 encoding. After which I kept getting "ValueError: binary mode doesn't take an encoding argument", still I get quite a few sprites and data in the result folder. Perhaps it's just my weird locale settings that make Python go weird.

At any rate, are there any platforms/channels were we could further discuss possible collaboration?

arathron123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 06:06:39 pm »
I tried your tool and it sadly did not work for me, or it worked but still threw an error... "UnicodeEncodeError: 'cp932' codec can't encode character '\xb7' in position 60: illegal multibyte sequence" To which I proceeded some simple fix by forcing utf-8 encoding. After which I kept getting "ValueError: binary mode doesn't take an encoding argument", still I get quite a few sprites and data in the result folder. Perhaps it's just my weird locale settings that make Python go weird.

I had only tested my script in linux (ubuntu 20.04) and android (with termux).  I still had not tried it on windows or mac.  The problem seems to be some unicode/utf-8 related.  In principle the script supports the english, german, french and japanese original roms, and I use some emojis to represent the icons for the items and weapons from the game, that's why unicode characters are being used.

At any rate, are there any platforms/channels were we could further discuss possible collaboration?

Today I created a discord server for this project: https://discord.gg/mdTDMKh5FR 
All the people interested in this project is invited to join!

Brutapode89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 10:48:22 pm »
Isn't there a .tbl file for Final Fantasy Adventure, in fact?