News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: I'm trying to do an Omniverse, SMB hack feature help  (Read 1435 times)

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
I'm trying to do an Omniverse, SMB hack feature help
« on: September 18, 2021, 09:31:52 am »
Hey fellas in Omniverse's hack Toad's Adventure, there's a cool feature that when you hit the regular bricks there's a small dent after you hit the brick. Here's a snapshot of his hack in the PPU Viewer.

I have some space left in my Toad SMB hack to add the feature, here's my hack in the PPU Viewer.

If anyone can please help me activate this feature I'd really appreciate it, I tried looking into the other hacks that have the feature like Darknight13's old SMB hacks and I even went to the Acmlm Archives to see if there was a document about the feature. Thanks for taking the time to look.

In Omniverse's hack when you're small and hit the brick the dent doesn't come out when you're underground and in the castle, hopefully I can get it to work in my hack. :D         
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 09:41:16 am by Googie »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: I'm trying to do an Omniverse, SMB hack feature help
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 09:23:12 am »
If there is some means of noting a touched brick (if it is one of those can hit multiple times when small to do it then this) then that is surely a matter of swapping out the relevant sprite as and when to the damaged version.
If there is no inherent means of noting a damaged brick then presumably the sprite would be swapped out after the animation or sound hit that sees it pop up and down. Whether a simple visual option would be available or you would want to convert it to a separate item on the level map (which may have further issues for the logic, though you could fix that too) I don't know and would be a decision you get to make if playing hacker.

Not working underground nor in the castle would presumably speak to there being different sprites or different handling for such things and thus you need to repeat the above stuff in those environments.

There are some decent disassemblies of a lot of mario games these days so you would probably even be able to get a leg up there from those rather than having to go manual and track it down yourself, though if you wanted to do the tracing efforts then it would be a nice introduction/learning hack that you could always go to a disassembly for if you did get stuck. If debugging your way to it I would probably find whatever controls the sprite for the block and then when hit it would move, whatever moves it presumably coming directly from the IF hit THEN type routine, and maybe even not needing to go back up the line and instead just chuck the "use this sprite location instead" command there.

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: I'm trying to do an Omniverse, SMB hack feature help
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 10:55:54 am »
Okay cool, I'll keep chipping away at it & look at the documents when I get home. Thanks Fast.  :thumbsup: :D