News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: FF3 (NES) Weapon Element Boost  (Read 1016 times)

Everything

• View Profile
FF3 (NES) Weapon Element Boost
« on: September 15, 2021, 11:11:18 am »
There are a few weapons in FF3 (NES) that display "<Element> power up!" when equipped, but after digging around in the code, I think I've found a couple of bugs that prevent this mechanic from working. This page and this page that seems to confirm this. Has anyone looked into this before?

I made a patch that fixes the 2 bugs. It should be compatible with other patches (it only changes 2 bytes). When applied, equipping a weapon with an elemental boost will cause spells with those elements to do 20% more hits and use a damage multiplier as if the target were weak to that element (this effect doesn't stack with itself or with elemental weakness). All of these mechanics were already in the original code, the patch just fixes a couple mistakes that prevented them from working. And in case anyone is wondering, I'm almost certain that these were coding errors and not intentionally dummied content.

I looked at a few of the available FF3 hacks and none of them seem to address this. Let me know if anyone is aware of this bug being addressed by another patch, otherwise I'll upload it as a standalone bugfix patch.

IPS Patch
Source Code

September 20, 2021, 05:16:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update: Maeson contacted me to ask about incorporating this bugfix into the Final Fantasy III Maeson hack. We discussed tuning the boosted element mechanic to balance it with other spells and ultimately decided to modify the formula in the original code (which turns out to be pretty overpowered, probably because the developers never tested it due to the bugs). Because of this, I decided not to upload the standalone bugfix patch from my previous post (though the link above is still live if anyone wants to take a look). Instead, keep an eye out for a better tuned version of this mechanic to be incorporated into a future revision of Maeson's hack. Thanks to Maeson for doing this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:16:18 pm by Everything »