News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Simpsons Tapper  (Read 2527 times)

simpsonstapper

• View Profile
Simpsons Tapper
« on: March 28, 2021, 04:22:52 pm »
Hello all... as my username implies, I am the original creator of the MAME "Simpsons Tapper" hack.

I wrote a note recently on one of the YT videos of the hack, but I thought I'd get a thread started here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HH3XHdcms&ab_channel=mameplus

As I stated there, the original hack was basically just changing all of the graphics (characters to Simpsons characters, and Bud logos to "Duff").

So the list of things I'd like to get finished up to a "finished ROM" would be:
* Figure out the locations of the skin shading for each character again, and set them correctly for each character.
* Get rid of the rest of the Budweiser references to Duff... the biggest one being the Bud logo behind Moe & Bart in the bonus round.  The issue with this is the the Turaco software didn't let you move around the editing blocks, and the logos blocks are NOT sequential in the ROM, so, it was REALLY hard to try to parse out like a puzzle what pieces go where in that logo.  I might try to take another stab at it though.  Also minorly the "BAR" that is seen in "reverse" from the inside on levels 1 & 2 to say "MOES" instead.
* Figure out where/how in the ROM the music is stored, and change the "oh! suzanna" background music to The Simpsons theme.

If there are any wizards on the boards here who are particularly good at fishing out ROM locations of things like that, any help is appreciated and will be recognized.

March 29, 2021, 03:46:14 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
One of the other things that was also figured out at that time along with the character skin tone was which "characters" appeared in which levels/rounds, and I believe we made it so there wasn't "duplicate" characters in a round, vs. normal tapper where they repeat the same characters in the same bar.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 03:47:29 pm by simpsonstapper »

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
Re: Simpsons Tapper
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:31:42 am »
I have actually done this very modification to a Tapper ROM, customizing the logo for a friend's birthday a few years ago. It was a fair amount of work, changing the logos on all the kegs, balloons, walls and bonus stage. I followed a blog post from someone who had done it for a local brewery and ended up writing a python program to manipulate the tiles and palettes. It still involved a lot of manual work and guess & check. I don't know if I still have it, but I will look.

simpsonstapper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 02:10:13 pm »
I have actually done this very modification to a Tapper ROM, customizing the logo for a friend's birthday a few years ago. It was a fair amount of work, changing the logos on all the kegs, balloons, walls and bonus stage. I followed a blog post from someone who had done it for a local brewery and ended up writing a python program to manipulate the tiles and palettes. It still involved a lot of manual work and guess & check. I don't know if I still have it, but I will look.

Thanks, that would be very helpful. 

WingMantis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 08:09:47 pm »
Any progress on this hack?

The youtube account in your link has been terminated by Youtube.

I'm sure lots of people would love to get it on their Simpsons Arcade1up or multicade setup. Or if A1up does a tapper cabinet

Vlaryn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 07:47:46 pm »
I played the mod a few years ago but for some reason now I am unable to get it to run. Does anyone have some directions on how to get it to run. I would love to see the Hack updated. Please keep at it.

Thanks
Vlaryn

Pleiades7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 12:18:10 am »
For fun, I made this bezel to make this GREAT hack even more immersive. To use with retroarch, or whatever. Enjoy!

THiN_CRUST_1992

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 01:46:18 am »
@simpsonstapper I would like to ask something, but I feel it might be too off-topic.