News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Utilities: Announcing Super Zelda Editor Release  (Read 2682 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: Announcing Super Zelda Editor Release
« on: September 08, 2021, 09:40:56 pm »

Update By: DMCP2143

Announcing the initial release of Super Zelda Editor.

Super Zelda Editor is a complete game editor for SNES The Legend Of Zelda, A Link To The Past. SuperZed is based upon Hyrule Magic, the original LoZ3 editor. SuperZed has fixed many bugs from HM and has a few user friendly tweaks and new features that really make it not only more stable but more functional as well. It is designed to work with expanded ROMs(2MB) that have relocated pointers and data for all 320 dungeon rooms out of the base ROM (1stMB) range, but is also able to stay within the original limitations of LoZ3 at 1MB.

Major additions include import/export and a copy room feature for dungeons, a new search method for OW tiles. Some other helpful new features are a Dungeon Entrance 2-click set window, a new door position, direction, and type GUI, the ability to merge parts from one room to another, or create and use prefab dungeon room segments.

Super Zelda Editor is the first LoZ3 editor to draw an entire dungeon rooms contents (all invisible objects have previously only been visible if selected, one at a time) each object numbered and outlined in a unique color depending upon which BG it is a part of. This takes editing LoZ3 to a whole new level, now all doors and all layer objects can be seen, more easily understood, and edited. This is a toggleable setting and most of the new dialogs can be accessed through alternate inputs leaving the classic keyboard and mouse inputs intact.

More new features; Space for up to 3x’s as many sprites in the overworld as found in ALttP. 3 new Dungeon Editor Buttons X-Y-Z with varying actions depending upon what is selected, like instantly clone a sprite, item, or object (Y), open up a chest contents selection window (Y), or set alternate chest contents (Z), sprites or items switch layers with (Z).. it’s in README.TXT and much more.

By: Derek McPherson https://sites.google.com/view/super-zelda-editor/home

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Utilities: Announcing Super Zelda Editor Release
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 10:11:23 pm »
Congrats on making this editor! :D

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 12:22:01 am »
Congrats on making this editor! :D

Technically, this is a fork of Hyrule Magic not a newly made editor as indicated here:

SuperZed has fixed many bugs from HM and has a few user friendly tweaks and new features that really make it not only more stable but more functional as well.

Good work nonetheless.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 12:31:12 am by FCandChill »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 01:06:35 am »
I completely forgot there were new developments afoot.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28213.0
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

dudejo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 06:53:07 am »
does this mean we can finally edit the overworld areas without glitching out the underground water gate? the one where water spawns all over the screen?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 11:07:09 am »
Cheers to the author. 3 or so years of working with Hyrule Magic is what eventually what got me out of this hobby. LOL
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

eyeballkid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 11:07:53 am »
does this mean we can finally edit the overworld areas without glitching out the underground water gate? the one where water spawns all over the screen?

Have a look here:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=28213.msg373336#msg373336

It's a change of one value in a hex editor, but I should also have an .ips for Conn's fix somewhere. Can find and upload it if needed.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 11:08:50 am »
This is great! I remember the first time I loaded Hyrule Magic thinking, "THIS is main editor for Zelda ALttP? Yikes." I may use this to go back and finish off my small hack.

DMCP2143

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 03:03:50 pm »
Yes the water temple bug is fixed in SuperZed. It was a one digit typo in a pointer, 0xCBA2 <-> 0xCBB2. Not only is the glitch gone but I have also tested it here with a modified overlay and successfully created a new room with the same effect using the new overlay.
Here is my changelog, it's very lacking but I tried to note the major stuff.
Summer 2020 - Edits of HM to expand dungeon data and work with expanded dungeons. (broke overworld editor)
May    2021 - Started work on SuperZed, fixed Overworld Editor issues. (HM used Dungeon data location in its OW save function)
            - Hacked in a *MANDATORY* 2MB ROM size and stopped the horrible filesize clipping bug from original HM.
                - this broke editing a 1MB rom (restored, 210720)
June   2021 - Wrote new search (OW) and Copy room (Dungeon) features.
            - Split World map and OW sprite saving functions.
            - Fixed Dungeon door offsets not writing with the new Dungeon Saveroom function.
            - Made SuperZed.chm the compressed help module, and got SuperZed using it over the outdated WinHelp call
July   2021 - Rewrote OW sprite saving functions and expanded OW sprite capacity upto 3x original.
            - Fixed a bug that broke the water temple overlay. Simple pointer typo. cba2, where cbb2 is correct.
            - Restored functionality to edit non-expanded roms.
                - Options are original limits with a 1MB ROM,
                - original OW areas limits + DNG expansion + optional more OW sprites, 2MB ROM.
                - or with OW area splitting unlocked, Full OW(de-twin OW tilemaps) & DNG expansion 2MB ROM.
            - Fixed a bug that broke secret ow items saving. A measure of the end of that data was off.
            - Finally sorted out the issues with editing whirlpools, flute locations, and exits.
August 2021 - Added some "button box" windows for alternative selections in dungeons. Eg. Room Select Window.
            - Created the Entrance Setter, and Door dir/pos/type dialogs.
            - Added the X, Y, and Z buttons for variable features depending on editing mode.
            - Fixed the clear all options used to empty a ROM of default data.
                - Retains important data, like  cutscene rooms and Ganons Exit to Triforce Shrine Area.
                - Keeps the abiltiy to edit the ROM after emptying all data without any manual HEX editing.

eyeballkid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 03:17:19 pm »
Yes the water temple bug is fixed in SuperZed

That's seriously awesome :)

Here is my changelog, it's very lacking but I tried to note the major stuff.

Do you plan to put the code on github (or similar)? Would be cool to pool the developments into one projects!

DMCP2143

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 03:54:29 pm »
Yes I am %100 for open source software, Super Zelda Editor would not exist if not for all the open source code I have learned from over the years. No additional copyright mark from me, I left Seph's intact and presume any commercial use of this code would infringe on his and/or Nintendo's rights.

Still working on a proper git repo but I put the source up.
https://sites.google.com/view/super-zelda-editor/more

Also wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and enthusiasm. I'm sort of at a loss for words, I just started a personal build of HM and started nit-picking all the bugs as I struggled with editing the game, this editor is the result of me just wanting to make a debug ROM for testing Dungeons. That is what the two patches are, I don't think I've mentioned them yet. szed-emptied.ips is my debugging ROM. I expanded the rom and cleared all the existing LoZ3 data and put three cave doors under Link's house for easy quick room tests, connect that to Ganon's Room and I test the Credit sequence. Feel free to build a hack upon either of the patches included with SuperZed.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 04:17:53 pm by DMCP2143 »

eyeballkid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 05:19:50 am »
Still working on a proper git repo

If you need a hand with setting up a git repo somewhere, shoot me a DM ...glad to help :)

Btw., for the first file (SuperZed_Utilities_v001.tar.gz), gdrive says:

We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service.

Seems this should be wrong given what you wrote is inside :\

DMCP2143

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 10:31:43 am »
I decided on sourceforge, git repo is going up soon. For now all the files from the google site are up there.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/super-zelda-editor/

Btw., for the first file (SuperZed_Utilities_v001.tar.gz), gdrive says:
"We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service."
Seems this should be wrong given what you wrote is inside :\
Seems odd, it is just a bunch of random command line tools, designed for LoZ3 editing but they are pretty powerful little scripts. Mostly they are just for byte changes and import/export data tables, toss them a few args (see the bat files) and they rip/modify/insert data in an easily repeatable manner.

eg. one file is sbid.cpp signed byte increaser/decreaser. I use it for modifying speed tables (they are positive X and negative Y) with batch files "sbid.exe speed_table.bin speed_table_new.bin 0x08" where speed_table.bin was extracted from the ROM, it's the soilders speed this raises X by 8 and lowers Y by 8 making them a good bit faster, they can catch you.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:24:42 am by DMCP2143 »