News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Ushio & Tora: Shinen no Daiyou / Ushio & Tora: The Abyss of the Great Demon  (Read 1604 times)

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
Might as well make it official.

Yes, I'm reviving my ancient "Ushio & Tora: Shinen no Daiyou" NES project.  As of now, I'm going over whatever info I can glean over the game.  When I started this 20 years ago, I didn't have any thoughts of stuff like control codes and dictionary terms, so that old patch was just... well... I don't think there's a work in the English language I can think of to describe it.

Anyway, I already typed up table files (one in English and one in Japanese) for the game as well as figured out this game's pointer system (This one is really odd.  In one aread, it's just standard pointers, another area had Setoff 4000, and another had Setoff 8000.  Also, I think there might be a pointer or two INSIDE the script itself!  Holy *CENSORED!!*

As of now, I came up with some images of some very rudimentary hacking work I've done so far.  (When it comes to the character names, those squished-looking character names are a temporary fix.  In the fighting menus, there's only room for 4-char names up there at most so Ushio in the menus will have to be displayed as "Ushi".

Small spoiler alert:  This will affect four of the six playable characters in the game.  (Two of the six's playable characters names are four chars max.)

Anyway, now for the images...

I also designed a possible new logo for the title screen... only I haven't figured out how to insert it into the game at the moment.  Here's a preliminary design...

It may go in the game in the future.  It might not.  It might need some work.  And if someone wants to help out, any help would be greatly appreciated.

A translator may have been procured as well. (crosses fingers)

I just gotta see what he/she does with the script dumps made by filler.  (Big thanks to him for dumping the game's text, BTW!)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 08:16:17 am by BlackPaladin »

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
Re: Ushio & Tora: Shinen no Daiyou / Ushio & Tora: The Great Demon's Abyss
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 08:14:04 am »

I wanted to showcase the new title screen I worked on along with other progress I've made so far in this game.

As of now, I managed to identify almost all control codes and areas where the game's script is located, so I can insert translated text whenever that I receive it.  So that's no longer an issue.

Most monster names will have to be truncated as in the battle menus, there's room for, at most, six characters per monster name.  This means for monsters like "Hakumen", I'll have to display it as simply "Haku".

Of course, I managed to insert my shiny new title screen graphic into the ROM and simply changed the subtitle to "The Abyss of the Great Demon".  I might have to change the palette on the last three characters in the subtitle as the text there is displayed as white instead of gray.  (Only, I'm not sure if I change the palette on that area, it'll change the palette for other sprites all across the game.  Somebody clear me up on this issue, please!)

The hardest part, hacking-wise, will be changing the 16x16 text shown in-game... especially, the text shown with the spear in the background.  I'm not sure if that will require someone to work some ASM wizardry, but I'll try to work on that on my end for the time being.

Also, I still need help with the ending credits.  I have them translated, but inserting them in the game will be much harder.  That area may require someone to do some ASM wizardry or whatever hacking necessary that's beyond the scope of what I can do.

Well, that's all I have to share for now.  Thank you to the precious few who's been following my personal project!

P.S.:  In case anyone is wondering where I picked up the design for the title screen, it was from the English release on DVD/Blu-Ray and on Hulu.

picasso72

• View Profile
very nice work!!!

aqualung

• View Profile
That intro screen looks GREAT! Here's looking forward to this project, this game looks quite nice for a famicom rpg. I take it it's from this system's later years.

ED: Yes, I see it was stated on the splash screen itself: 1993

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Looks nice, but you have your title backwards. It should be "Great Demon of the Abyss".

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
picasso72:  Thank you!

aqualung:  Thank you as well!  And yes, this game was released back in 1993.

Midna:  I thought it was translated as "The Abyss of the Great Demon" or "The Great Demon's Abyss".  Anyway, I did a quick check on a spreadsheet, and seeing that it fits in just two lines, I made the change on the title screen.

This also saved me from researching pallette hacking as well, so that's a double bonus!  Thanks for the suggestion!  :D

Edit:  In case anyone was wondering, the font used in the title screen came directly from Castlevania III.  Your mileage may vary, but I like how it looks!  ^^

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Oh, this one was on my and my buddies' radar at one point, but we never did anything with it. I know the series, and it seems that this game is basically a general retelling of the old OVA/manga, of course being much more concise and less verbose. Still, the battle scenes and the music are quite cool; it seems to be one of few pretty good Famicom JRPGs left to translate at this point. Good luck to you, and if you end up needing proofreaders or testers, I'd be glad to help! :)