News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Metal Slader Glory NES English Translation  (Read 3207 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Metal Slader Glory NES English Translation
« on: August 30, 2021, 09:26:32 am »

Update By: FCandChill

To commemorate the 30th anniversary of Metal Slader Glory for the Famicom, August 30th, a new English translation patch of the game has been released. This release features:
* Fast text speed.
* Chrono Trigger's 8x16 font.
* A new translation.
* A translated manual.
* Source code and tools related to the translation.
And much more. Go ahead and delight yourself with the biggest and greatest Famicom visual novel in English!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

FCandChill

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Metal Slader Glory NES English Translation
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 08:57:15 pm »
There's was a small issue in the readme that was pointed out to me: the readme had incorrect patching information. The required header was listed as 4E 45 53 1A 20 40 50 08 00 00 0A 09 00 00 00 00 when it should've been 4E 45 53 1A 20 40 50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00. Sorry for the inconvenience. An updated readme is in the submission queue. The hash information on the translation page was and is correct and matches no-intro.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 09:32:20 am »
Great game, but low replayability, since this is basically an interactive anime/manga so once you know the story from A to Z you've see everything this cool game has to offer.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 01:24:40 pm »
Great game, but low replayability, since this is basically an interactive anime/manga so once you know the story from A to Z you've see everything this cool game has to offer.

Not necessarily true. The early parts of the game are fairly linear, but the later parts (stage 4 and beyond) of the game have a lot of branching paths. This is even more true in the director's cut that adds even more branching paths. The general progression of the story is the same though, so I can understand where you're coming from. But for some examples of branching paths, did you know that in Colony 03 you can tag along with Elina or Elina and Catty, or Elina, Catty, and Enkai? The second path is really different from the other two and each path has unique dialogue. There's also completely different scenes in stage 6 depending on your decisions.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 01:36:18 pm by FCandChill »

yomitron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 01:40:09 pm »
Nice work!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 03:30:11 pm by yomitron »

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 07:34:05 am »
Guys,

I did search A LOT, and there is no force in the whole universe able to let me find the CORRECT CHECKSUM'med ROM.

All roms I get are with WRONG checksum (I used the online patcher provided in the link) — however, the game gets translated and runs fine, at least first screens.

Also, the readme says to change 0x6 with a hex editor, but... What/where is 0x6? I did open the rom with HexEdit but don't know where to go!

Thanks!
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 08:11:46 am »

In Japan, most games of this kind at that point were murder mystery games, so it's definitely a cool change of pace all things considered, but yeah, once you check some different paths or find different endings (not in this specific case) there's not much else to do, usually. Replayability has never really been a strong suit of adventure games; the first one like that I remember really enjoying was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, with 3 main paths you could choose. Same reason as to why Quest for Glory is my favourite Sierra series.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 08:22:47 am »
Also, the readme says to change 0x6 with a hex editor, but... What/where is 0x6? I did open the rom with HexEdit but don't know where to go!

The NES rom header is the first 10 bytes in the rom. It's essentially metadata and tells the emulator what kind of cartridge it is. In this case, for around 20 years, all roms identified the game as having a battery backup, which is patently false. This patch is based on the latest no-intro set which has a correct header. So I doubt you'll find the latest dump on rom sites, which usually have outdated dumps. Aware of this, I offered a way to correct the dump in the readme. So 0x6 is offset 0x000006. In other words, the 6th byte in the entire rom, as illustrated in this picture, which is a rom dump you'll usually find online.

Change that circled 52 byte to 50. That change should fix it, however, there's some dumps with some extra metadata afterwards, so make sure the entire 10 byte header is...

Code: [Select]
4E 45 53 1A 20 40 50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Does that make sense?

All roms I get are with WRONG checksum (I used the online patcher provided in the link) — however, the game gets translated and runs fine, at least first screens.

Forcing the patch with a bad checksum should be fine, honestly. The only difference between new and old dumps is the header, so data isn't being shifted around which would throw things off.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 08:36:00 am by FCandChill »

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 08:39:43 am »
OH YES!
It makes absolute sense!

I was looking for 0x6 on the left column of the hexedit and was seeing only

000 000 00
000 000 10
000 000 20
000 000 30...

And was wondering --- where is the so called 0x6?

Thanks thanks, sorry for my poor knowledge of the subject.
Patching correctly now!
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 03:12:13 am »
The NES rom header is the first 10 bytes in the rom.
It's the first 0x10 or first 16 bytes.
And while it's part of the iNES (.nes) file, it's *not* part of the ROM - i.e. the iNES header is not present in the physical ROMs on the cartridge.

PersianImm0rtal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 10:45:30 am »
Why not translate the Metal Slader Glory: Director's Cut for the SNES/SFC? For the better graphics and music quality.  :'(

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2021, 06:43:37 pm »
Why not translate the Metal Slader Glory: Director's Cut for the SNES/SFC? For the better graphics and music quality.  :'(

A snippet from the readme:

Also, work is underway for the SNES port, so stayed tuned! For those who prefer the NES version's OST, there will be an MSU-1 patch.

The major additions to the director's cut are the debug options, dialogue, and scenes that were cut from the Famicom version for space reasons.