Translations: Idol hands are galactic evil's playthings: Galaxy Fraulein Yuna for PC-Engine/TG-16 translated

Started by RHDNBot, August 26, 2021, 11:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Supper

After over a year of work, collaborators are happy to announce the release of their English translation of Ginga Ojousama Densetsu Yuna, a.k.a. Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, for the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx CD!

Yuna Kagurazaka was just your ordinary high school girl in the year 2299 – a bit carefree and more than a little absent-minded, but nothing special...until she won the Galaxy Fraulein Contest and rocketed to idol stardom! But when her fellow contestants begin disappearing one by one only to turn up wearing power armor and trying to kill her, she discovers her true destiny: she is the Savior of Light, protector of the galaxy, and must fight to keep the forces of darkness from conquering the universe! Can Yuna take down the evil Thirteen Frauleins of Darkness, or will hinging the fate of the cosmos on the whims of a flighty teenage girl prove a colossal mistake?...Possibly both.

Ginga Ojousama Densetsu Yuna, officially translated as Galaxy Fraulein Yuna, is a 1992 adventure game (visual novel/digicomic) developed by Red Company and Will and published by Hudson for the PC-Engine Super CD-ROM² system. The first entry in what would become a popular series amidst the Japanese "galge boom," the game is essentially an early-'90s sci-fi comedy OVA in adventure game form, lavishly chronicling the galaxy-spanning adventures of Yuna, her friends, and a suspiciously large number of girls in skimpy power armor via a book's worth of text, upwards of a thousand illustrations, over an hour of animated cutscenes, and several vocal songs.

This patch fully translates the game into English. In addition to translating the text, it also subtitles all cutscenes – the first time in PC-Engine history this has been done on such a large scale, as limitations of the hardware make adding subtitles very difficult. Even the vocal songs have been given full karaoke subtitles, all without compromising the visuals in any way. Watch the results in action here.

The game's instruction manual has also been translated; it comes bundled with the patch, or can be read online.

This project was the result of a yearlong effort by Mafoo343 (translation) and Supper (hacking). Translation support was provided in various forms by Cargodin, Weedeater, Athena/悠里マヤ (Yuri Maya), Momochi, HeirTransparent, SilverLupin, and TheMajinZenki. Special thanks to cccmar, Cargodin, and Xanathis for testing.

The authors hope you'll enjoy this opportunity to experience the origin of a series that never got its chance to shine in the West!

Featuring Bomberman from the Bomberman™ Series

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

4lorn

I thought, "The Devil will find work for idol hands to do" would be a nice title for the news, but the pun would only make sense for fans of The Smiths  :laugh:

Will give this a whirl soon enough, looks pretty cool. Nice work :thumbsup:

Supper

My feelings the entire time I was working on this game can be summed up in two screenshots:

Quote from: 4lorn on August 26, 2021, 11:43:55 AM
I thought, "The Devil will find work for idol hands to do" would be a nice title for the news, but the pun would only make sense for fans of The Smiths  :laugh:

Will give this a whirl soon enough, looks pretty cool. Nice work :thumbsup:

I've been waiting years to use this joke ever since it belatedly occurred to me after Idol Hakkenden had already been posted :(

4lorn

I always had a feeling PC-Engine games were a bit nightmarish to work with. I usually don't find as much documentation for them, either, and my Japanese is virtually none, so I tend to avoid getting into that. But you pulled through :thumbsup:

Quote from: Supper on August 26, 2021, 12:29:51 PM
I've been waiting years to use this joke ever since it belatedly occurred to me after Idol Hakkenden had already been posted :(

Don't worry, I've lost count of puns I'd be saving for years until someone beat me to the punch.  :laugh:

By the way, kind of unrelated but aren't you the author of the Taled editor? If so, mind if I shoot you a PM? I promise I'll keep it brief :)

Supper

Quote from: 4lorn on August 26, 2021, 02:41:52 PM
I always had a feeling PC-Engine games were a bit nightmarish to work with. I usually don't find as much documentation for them, either, and my Japanese is virtually none, so I tend to avoid getting into that. But you pulled through :thumbsup:

Don't worry, I've lost count of puns I'd be saving for years until someone beat me to the punch.  :laugh:

By the way, kind of unrelated but aren't you the author of the Taled editor? If so, mind if I shoot you a PM? I promise I'll keep it brief :)

It's not so much that the PC-Engine is inherently difficult to work with; it's just a weird mix of simple and complex parts that come together into a very confusing whole, especially when you're first starting out with it. The graphics hardware is phenomenal for the time and can display crazy numbers of sprites at once, but has only one single background layer. The PCECD was the first CD-based console on the market and provides all the expected storage benefits, but it was created so early on that it actually predates the CD-ROM standard, so games don't even have a filesystem -- they just load raw data from predetermined positions on the disc. And despite its "16-bit" graphics, all it has is a single 8-bit CPU that's only moderately more capable than the one in the Famicom. With some practice and a debugger handy, things aren't so bad, but it's pretty much always going to be a lot of work.

And if you mean Tales, yeah, I guess I did make that, didn't I? Huh, haven't thought about it in years. I don't know how much help I can really give you at this point, but ask away -- you don't need my permission to PM me.

Naniyue

Most excellent work!!!!!!  I hope this is the start of a long trend!

Please, don't stop!!!!

kaiisen

First Madou Monogatari I and now this!

I'll definitely be playing it fully.

The translation is looking so neat.

Excelent job, and thank you!

KobaBeach

Excellent job on this project, to everyone. Gives me hope that more Turbo CD and TurboGrafx translations could happen. I'll try to give this a shot once I'm done with a few RPGs, getting close to finishing Silver Star Story's PSX port and around the halfway point of Treasure Hunter G (swear the translator for the MetalHawk patch copied the Wheaties advertisement reference from Lunar MCD's translation haha).

Quote from: 4lorn on August 26, 2021, 02:41:52 PM
Yeah like, I have barely found anything for MCD in my short time of wanting to make a retranslation of Lunar 1&2 MCD, so I don't imagine TGCD having much either. But TGCD could have some stuff in Japanese sites, I remember I found some PC98 info in the past on there, but PCs are by nature an open environment. Unless they're like modern Macs.

Makes one wish developer manuals that were as informative as the SNES' were more available from ex-employees selling them, but that is a privilege a lot of retro console hackers and homebrew devs simply don't have. Or worse they could be as bad as the English Saturn ones...

Quote from: Supper on August 26, 2021, 12:29:51 PM
My feelings the entire time I was working on this game can be summed up in two screenshots:

I feel the left panel whenever I try to do anything in-depth in SNES assembly (trying to learn Mode 7 these days).

Fraulein is when you miss in German!Grandia II /j
replace my bones with pocky and throw me down a stairwell

CO_Andy

Billions of people on this planet and you're the only one working on PCE-CD translations. We all appreciate the effort you're making :thumbsup:

kaiisen

Quote from: CO_Andy on August 27, 2021, 12:46:21 PM
Billions of people on this planet and you're the only one working on PCE-CD translations. We all appreciate the effort you're making :thumbsup:

Yes and they're working on the subtitles so you won't miss a thing.

They're so caring, and that's fantastic and rare.

Sanedan56

kaiisen

I got curious today and done some search about other possible TurboGrafx translations, and I found there was someone working on this amazing RPG, Seiya Densetsu: An Earth Fantasy but it's been years since they last spoke.

The game is like a mix of Lunar and Tales of Phantasia.

Does anyone have any more information whether they dropped this one?

BlairBear86

Quote from: kaiisen on August 27, 2021, 08:13:52 PM
I got curious today and done some search about other possible TurboGrafx translations, and I found there was someone working on this amazing RPG, Seiya Densetsu: An Earth Fantasy but it's been years since they last spoke.

The game is like a mix of Lunar and Tales of Phantasia.

Does anyone have any more information whether they dropped this one?

I think it's been dropped... it's a shame because the game looked amazing.

If someone could help me acquire a pre-patched iso of this game it would be much appreciated. The patching instructions for this game gives me a headache just looking at it and I'm usually not good at patching PC Engine games...

Valkyrie

Color me highly surprised seeing this - I always remembered Yuna due being the oddball unlockable in Saturn Bomberman's Battle Mode.

Astounding work to the team, this year keeps only getting better with this slew of cult classic fan translations.

aqualung

Quote from: Valkyrie on August 27, 2021, 10:46:07 PM
Color me highly surprised seeing this - I always remembered Yuna due being the oddball unlockable in Saturn Bomberman's Battle Mode.

Astounding work to the team, this year keeps only getting better with this slew of cult classic fan translations.

Yes! I hope for a miracle similar to the one that happened to the snes these last 5 years, to happen in the pc-engine as well. I know it's harder to work with than the snes (audio sequences that need to be subbed, less available technical info than the snes, etc), but one can dream... The pce is a real beast when it comes to old school jrpgs: the Tengai Makyou saga, Anearth, Gulliver Boy (a lot better than its snes counterpart) and lots more.

Well, I don't want to derail this thread, so congratulations to the team for this release and my most sincere gratitude to all of you!

cccmar

You can technically dub them as well. I'm guessing that in some instances it's pretty much the only way to get it done, but the truth is that it would probably take way more time with most of those games. Trying to get decent actors and coordinate everything is probably a titanic effort too. The thing is, this console is just objectively less relevant/popular with the Western gamers than SNES/Genesis; I remember barely seeing any units here in Europe, back in the 90s... most people I talked to only learned of it in the emulation era. Maybe it did better in the US. That's a shame, because there are lots of stylish, interesting games, especially if you like VNs, RPGs and shoot 'em ups.

KobaBeach

Quote from: cccmar on August 28, 2021, 11:07:05 AM
The thing is, this console is just objectively less relevant/popular with the Western gamers than SNES/Genesis; I remember barely seeing any units here in Europe, back in the 90s... most people I talked to only learned of it in the emulation era. Maybe it did better in the US.
It did not, it was a distant third compared to the Mega Drive and SNES. The only places you could buy TurboGrafx in Europe was through mail order in the UK, of which there was only one game (Blazing Lazers/Gun-Hed) and it was for a short while iirc? And in France, where they simply imported the Japanese PC Engine.
replace my bones with pocky and throw me down a stairwell

Pennywise

I've always thought that it was impossible to subtitle PCE-CD games, but it seems that you've been changing that perception over the past year. Really impressive work. I guess the only way to top yourselves would be to translate the sequel or do the Tengai Makyou games. The great thing about the PCE library is that it's mostly untouched, so any game would be a welcome addition should you decide to invest your blood, sweat and tears.

As a side note, I'd imagine that Ys IV probably can't be subtitled due to having in-game spoken dialogue. Seems like that'd complicate matters instead of dealing solely with separate cutscenes.

Supper

Quote from: Pennywise on August 29, 2021, 12:28:34 PM
I've always thought that it was impossible to subtitle PCE-CD games, but it seems that you've been changing that perception over the past year. Really impressive work. I guess the only way to top yourselves would be to translate the sequel or do the Tengai Makyou games. The great thing about the PCE library is that it's mostly untouched, so any game would be a welcome addition should you decide to invest your blood, sweat and tears.

As a side note, I'd imagine that Ys IV probably can't be subtitled due to having in-game spoken dialogue. Seems like that'd complicate matters instead of dealing solely with separate cutscenes.

Thanks. I don't have any definite plans for more Yuna at this point, but we'll just see what happens.

Yeah, while I'm not familiar with Ys specifically, I've looked at several other CD games that have substantial voice acting over the gameplay like that. I don't think it's insurmountable except in the worst cases, but it's definitely an even bigger problem than the already considerable issue of subtitling "regular" cutscenes. I expect the best route in some cases would be to use the game's regular text display system to add dialogue windows on top of the voices, but that's definitely going to add complexity, and opens up the potential for a lot of new problems... Like, if the screen ever needs to scroll during the scene, you're not going to be able to have a text window open (the PCE has only one background layer, so it'll just scroll with everything else). Man, I'd rather not even think about this unless I have to.

Naniyue

The translation work here is better than what a professional release would have been!

The PC Engine is my favorite game system of all time!  It is wonderful to see more CD games get translated.  I'd LOVE to help, but I have no applicable skills.  If you need a play tester or a voice actor, though, count me in!!!!

Next up, how about 3x3 eyes?  That's another good Japanese adventure game, and way better than the PC98 version in my opinion.  Or maybe even Pastel Lime?

I'd love to see the PCE versions of Emerald Dragon and Laplace no Ma translated, as I'm tired of SNES versions getting all the attention.  Might as well do Alshark, too!  Just about any game from Glodia is worth a playthrough.

Anyway, keep it up!!!!!!