News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Mobile Golf translation

Started by marc_max, August 18, 2021, 11:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_max

Mobile Golf is a Mario Golf sequel that was released exclusively in Japan in 2001. It was compatible with Mobile Adapter (best known as the device that allowed to unlock the Celebi event in Pokémon Crystal), online tournaments were held during the first year and players could unlock extra content (courses, characters and clubs) as prizes.
Despite not having an RPG story, all RPG elements (experience, level up and skills) are still there and it's still pretty solid entry in the series and has a good amount of content (more than Mario Golf, indeed). You can consider it as a Mario Golf expansion.


The patch doesn't only translate the game, but it also adds some additional code that allows the players to unlock the locked content legitly and progressively as they play.

Translating this one has been a nightmare. The game uses a custom compression algorithm that needed to be cracked. Then a custom compression/decompression tool had to be written in order to inject translated and recompressed graphics (because Camelot decided to store almost everything as compressed graphics).



Where to download?
Download patch at RHDN

Sourcecode
Sourcecode & script dump

The game doesn't boot up!
Mobile Golf uses a special 128kb SRAM battery that not every GBC emulator is compatible with. It doesn't have anything to do with the translation.





Shadic

This is awesome! Is the translation complete, then?

I've been eyeballing this game with the sad assumption it would never get a translation for a few years now.

ifightdragons

Sounds interesting. Is the translation complete, and is there a link for the patch?

ProstatePunch

Quote from: Shadic on August 18, 2021, 12:48:52 PM
This is awesome! Is the translation complete, then?

I've been eyeballing this game with the sad assumption it would never get a translation for a few years now.

Me too, then marc_max hit me twitch this out of the blue.

We're almost done, just putting finishing touches on it before release.

mikeprado30

WOW!  Didn't know there was a Mario Tennis GB sequel!  :o

I'll be awaiting eagerly for the release, guys!  Thanks for your effort.

Robert202

Quote from: mikeprado30 on August 18, 2021, 08:02:55 PM
WOW!  Didn't know there was a Mario Tennis GB sequel!  :o

I'll be awaiting eagerly for the release, guys!  Thanks for your effort.

Yes, and it's even better than original game, more courses, stages and better graphics and gameplay, got the game on 100% in dozens of hours. It's one of the best games that weren't translated to english.

marc_max

Quote from: Shadic on August 18, 2021, 12:48:52 PM
This is awesome! Is the translation complete, then?
It is! Even most of the Net Clubhouse dialogs are translated, despite not being accessible anymore. There is a Mobile Adapter preservation project that is trying to create a functional server. Hoping they manage to get it working with Mobile Golf in a future, so online tournaments could be held again!

Quote from: ifightdragons on August 18, 2021, 02:45:34 PM
Sounds interesting. Is the translation complete, and is there a link for the patch?
We will submit it to RHDN later today!

ifightdragons

Quote from: marc_max on August 20, 2021, 02:26:36 PM
It is! Even most of the Net Clubhouse dialogs are translated, despite not being accessible anymore. There is a Mobile Adapter preservation project that is trying to create a functional server. Hoping they manage to get it working with Mobile Golf in a future, so online tournaments could be held again!
We will submit it to RHDN later today!

Looking forward to it! Let us know when it's up

marc_max

It's been submitted and approved already :-D

ifightdragons

Quote from: marc_max on August 20, 2021, 07:23:51 PM
It's been submitted and approved already :-D

Great! Would be a good idea to link it here and in the original post  ;)

Rushiomatsu

First of all, thanks for translation!

I have an issue when trying to play it through the Virtual Console injection method on 3DS. It displays an error after it creates a save upon opening the app. Could it be an issue with the header? I've had a similar problem with the DKL Colorization, but the author of it ended up fixing it after I reported it.

Thanks in advance.

tc

How unexpected! Thanks.

The first 18 holes went nicely. One banner graphic was in Japanese, at the top of the screen with balloons.

marc_max

Quote from: Rushiomatsu on August 20, 2021, 10:15:12 PM
First of all, thanks for translation!

I have an issue when trying to play it through the Virtual Console injection method on 3DS. It displays an error after it creates a save upon opening the app. Could it be an issue with the header? I've had a similar problem with the DKL Colorization, but the author of it ended up fixing it after I reported it.

Thanks in advance.
I figure you are the same user that asked on Twitter, but I'll answer again here since this can be an issue for other people.
It's not a header issue. This game uses a special 128kb SRAM battery that not every emulator is compatible with. I'll post this in the first post.
Quote from: tc on August 21, 2021, 10:11:01 AM
How unexpected! Thanks.

The first 18 holes went nicely. One banner graphic was in Japanese, at the top of the screen with balloons.
Yes, I'm aware of it. The course/character unlock header is not translated (if you are curious it just says: New character/course unlocked). It requires some pixelart work that is not worth. The dialog box says what you really need to know ;-)
Trust me, translate every graphic in this game isn't an easy task.

Shadic

Quote from: marc_max on August 21, 2021, 10:53:40 AM
The course/character unlock header is not translated (if you are curious it just says: New character/course unlocked). It requires some pixelart work that is not worth. The dialog box says what you really need to know ;-)
Trust me, translate every graphic in this game isn't an easy task.

If somebody makes the graphics for these text messages, would you add it to the hack?

Not volunteering quite yet (need to play myself and see what it looks like!), just had to ask.  :laugh:

marc_max

Quote from: Shadic on August 21, 2021, 04:41:02 PM
If somebody makes the graphics for these text messages, would you add it to the hack?

Not volunteering quite yet (need to play myself and see what it looks like!), just had to ask.  :laugh:
I can't promise.
Replacing those graphics are a pain because they share the same tileset, but then one of them (characters or courses, can't remember) replaces a few tiles here and there.
Also, the compressed graphics size in byets need to be smaller than the original one (well, they could be bigger, but then I would need to move data across the bank and that's a pain)
That's why I didn't translate those.

tc

It's okay, the only oddity so far was an untranslated dialog in the trophy room.

I'm still poking away at the many modes. The go-go-gates were a lot of fun. Not good enough to topple Mario yet, heh.

marc_max

Quote from: tc on August 29, 2021, 10:43:44 PMIt's okay, the only oddity so far was an untranslated dialog in the trophy room.

Can you send me your savegame so I can take a look at that untranslated string?

tc

Quote from: marc_max on August 30, 2021, 02:31:26 AM
Can you send me your savegame so I can take a look at that untranslated string?

I've sent you a PM.

marc_max

Quote from: tc on August 30, 2021, 05:16:58 AM
I've sent you a PM.
Thank you!
I've translated it (and other strings as well). I'll might wait for the release though, as I've been toying with more SRAM dumped from real cartridges (which contain old online competition data) and I found a few untranslated strings and graphics here and there.