News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Patching SNES Roms in Linux? (Command Line)  (Read 1191 times)

qohelet

• View Profile
Patching SNES Roms in Linux? (Command Line)
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:42:57 am »
I'm using Ubuntu and an EmulationStation on my Raspberry. As some of the Hacks require a patching before I'm somewhat stuck as there is not too much information on how to do it on Linux (preferably command line).
Floating IPS and Lunar IPS are for Windows and both with a GUI - what would you recommend in Linux to patch SNES (zip/smc)-Games?
Also, in order to make sure the files are not corrupted, are there alternatives for ROMclean for Linux?

From my own research I can see there's UniPatcher (which is according to its Git-Page for Android), ips.py, Lazy IPS and YADP - for all of these the documentation is not that great. Most were released more than five years ago.

Is there anyone who has tried one of them recently? I'm especially curious for games like Yoshi's Ultimate Island (https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1407/) - which doesn't state which original ROM it requires or NEW SMW2 - Yoshi's Island (https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1958/), which does state it but not how.

Thank you!

MathOnNapkins

• Forum Moderator
  • Who ya gonna call
    • View Profile
    • Arc-Nova - Rohmackin' and Chiptunin'
Re: Patching SNES Roms in Linux? (Command Line)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 02:59:19 pm »
We do have an online patcher that many people use if you can open a browser in your Pi:
https://www.romhacking.net/patch/

I guess it would also be good to learn how to do it via the terminal, but I don't know that off hand.

C_CliFF

• View Profile
    • General CoolNES Translations
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 05:43:22 pm »
Use ips.py

Just have ips.py, patch and rom in the same directory and use the command (for python3):

python3 ips.py patch.ips rom.smc and you're good to go.

xenophile

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 12:25:39 pm »
I also settled on ips.py for this. In my case the killer feature was being able to throw a list of sub patches in a shell script as I work on my hack.

If anyone knows of a CLI tool for creating patches, I’m all ears.

qohelet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 05:49:15 am »
@MathOnNapkins:
I prefer to use something local as I try to connect my RPi as little to the internet as possible. Also there is currently no browser installed. Also - as this is done by a web-service I presume there is some kind Linux-Command running on the Server. (Webservers are very very rarely running windows. The Post-Request triggers some kind of batch-sequence but from outside it's not possible to tell)

@C_CliFF
How is your experience so far? Ever had any problems? Also, is there any way to verify the result?

@xenophile
What do you mean with a tool that can create Patches?

Dr. Dreadhawk

• View Profile

qohelet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 01:46:02 pm »
https://github.com/Alcaro/Flips

That looks awesome. Just what I was looking for. How's your experience with it?

Dr. Dreadhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 04:58:16 pm »
That looks awesome. Just what I was looking for. How's your experience with it?
It's the only patcher I use (for anything other than xdelta3 and occasionally PPF3) and never lets me down. It's really easy to build and has GUI support for people who prefer it. Alcaro is regularly working on it. It's great.

Also, in order to make sure the files are not corrupted, are there alternatives for ROMclean for Linux?

ROMclean has source code that can be built on Linux -I don't use it, though.
Spoiler:
g++ -Wall -O2 -o romclean romclean.cpp

I find ucon64 very useful and works on Linux (cli and GUI). I recommend the latest snapshot.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 10:14:37 pm by Dr. Dreadhawk »

qohelet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 05:10:52 am »
@Dr. Dreadhawk

Thank you for the helpful advice