News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Happy 30th Anniversary Armadillo (NES)!  (Read 1699 times)

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
Happy 30th Anniversary Armadillo (NES)!
« on: August 09, 2021, 03:25:11 pm »
For those of you who have heard of the 1991 video game Armadillo, the milestone 30th anniversary of the game's initial release is today! :) This title should certainly have been released in the West, and in my opinion it's the best Famicom or NES game not published or developed by Nintendo. This is a game that's very often overlooked, and I thought I'd give it the respect and recognition it deserves.

What are your thoughts?

rafaelguerrero

• View Profile
Re: Happy 30th Anniversary Armadillo (NES)!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 12:35:40 pm »
I think it's nice that someone celebrates the anniversary of this great game for the FC / NES, although there are some declines in performance and it is very sad that its release in the US and its 2 sequels "Armadillo Gaiden" and Armadillo 2 "get tired.

and I would like to create your own hack.

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 06:18:07 pm »
I think it's nice that someone celebrates the anniversary of this great game for the FC / NES, although there are some declines in performance and it is very sad that its release in the US and its 2 sequels "Armadillo Gaiden" and Armadillo 2 "get tired.

What exactly do you mean by "declines in performance"? Also, the planned release of Armadillo in North America and the release of its sequel Armadillo 2 and the Game Boy game Armadillo Gaiden (also part of a planned Armadillo franchise) were canceled, not tired.

and I would like to create your own hack.

What are you talking about? Are you planning on creating a hack of Armadillo? I'm not.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 10:42:56 pm »
That would have been right as the SNES and Super Mario World were released in America.
Maybe they didn't think it had a chance?

Now I think its publisher is probably a really unknown company. The only game I know they actually released in NA was SNES Rocketeer but apparently maybe they published a couple TG16 games?
Seems they published a bit more in Japan in their short life.

That publisher was a Japanese publisher called IGS, which I think is a different company than a Taiwanese game company of the same name. With the latter seeming to be a bit better known among hardcore arcade gaming fans (who apparently had never heard of the former). Making what sounds like are some of the longest beat-em-ups in history, at least of arcade gaming.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 09:16:02 am »
That would have been right as the SNES and Super Mario World were released in America.
Maybe they didn't think it had a chance?

I doubt that had anything to do with it, since the game shares many characteristics with Super Mario Bros. 3, which is arguably the greatest video game of all time. Also, Armadillo was released in Japan after the Super Famicom and Super Mario World were released there.

Seems they published a bit more in Japan in their short life.

Despite the lack of titles published by IGS after 1993, we don't know the whereabouts of the publisher or what happened to them, since there is no evidence of that company going out of business or coming to an end. So it would be unfair to say as if it were a fact that the company's life was short.

That publisher was a Japanese publisher called IGS, which I think is a different company than a Taiwanese game company of the same name.

That is almost certainly correct, as the Japanese IGS stands for "Information Global Service", while the Taiwanese one stands for "International Games System".

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 02:43:55 pm »
I doubt that had anything to do with it, since the game shares many characteristics with Super Mario Bros. 3, which is arguably the greatest video game of all time. Also, Armadillo was released in Japan after the Super Famicom and Super Mario World were released there.

To me, it sounds like they probably just didn't have the money for any international releases, seeing as the only other confirmed project was The Rocketeer for SNES. It would have been a licensed game, so that, to me, says that they might have been in need of the cash.

Unfortunately, the Rocketeer was widely panned by critics and if I remember right, got crushed at the box office, so it seems to me that they probably just made a bad bet. It happens.
Yamero~~!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 02:58:54 pm »
I had no idea this existed, but it looks pretty fun.  I'll check it out!

Also interesting, IGS published this.  That's kinda notable if you've played arcade games like Demon Front, Knights of Valour, EspGaluda, or DoDonPachi 2.  They all used IGS's PolyGame Master hardware. Whoops, probably got the wrong IGS there.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 09:10:24 pm by Chronosplit »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 06:42:37 pm »
While I didn't care for this one that much (found the controls/physics lacking), it's nice to see threads like this for really obscure games.

:cookie:
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 09:48:30 am »
Here's a hack of this game with a Mario flavor, I like this game I just wish the controls weren't sluggish, I'm gonna try out the translation later on.   

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 12:15:44 pm »
This looks like a clever game. The controls do indeed look sluggish. I wonder if they could be tweaked so that the game would be playable now. I'll add it to my long list of things to look into...

RetroGameFan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 03:15:00 pm »
To me, it sounds like they probably just didn't have the money for any international releases, seeing as the only other confirmed project was The Rocketeer for SNES. It would have been a licensed game, so that, to me, says that they might have been in need of the cash.

Unfortunately, the Rocketeer was widely panned by critics and if I remember right, got crushed at the box office, so it seems to me that they probably just made a bad bet. It happens.
That sounds like the most accurate explanation I've ever seen up to now! :)

I'm guessing Armadillo never really caught on largely due to the sluggish controls and slowdown issues. Therefore, the game wasn't a massive hit in Japan.

I bet that if the controls were top notch and the slowdown issues were absent, Armadillo would have been a massive hit in Japan, and that would inevitably lead to a North America release. I bet the game would have been a massive hit there as well, and that would inevitably lead to a release in Europe! But I strongly believe that the game's controls/physics and slowdown issues as they are now severely hindered how popular it would become, and I even think the box art could have used a great deal of improvement as well.

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003, baby!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 08:27:25 pm »
This looks like a clever game. The controls do indeed look sluggish. I wonder if they could be tweaked so that the game would be playable now. I'll add it to my long list of things to look into...

If you do get around to it, that'll be so cool. :D
I'm thinking about ripping the graphics from that Armadillo hack Mario 4 into the English Translation of the game, and change the text around to make it a legit hack, unless someone else wants to do it.  ;)