News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Question about LayeredFS patches for N3DS  (Read 442 times)

raw

• View Profile
Question about LayeredFS patches for N3DS
« on: August 09, 2021, 10:18:07 am »
I have recently come across the Bravely series uncensor patches, which are not hosted in romhacking.net.

Would it be possible to host them here for preservation? The initial patch was "problematic" as it was distributed as the whole game. However, there is now a version of those patches available as LayeredFS (Luma FS patches), which only contain modified files (the assets to be "de-censored").

https://gbatemp.net/threads/released-bravely-default-second-uncensored.391715/page-55#post-9381200

Would this type of patches be allowed in romhacking.net? My main concern is that a lot of these modifications are currently just floating around in random forums, and hosted in unreliable websites. A lot of these have just "disappeared" due to the hosting site taking them down due to inactivity.

I would submit these patches, however some of them are above the 30MB limit and AFAIK, they would be the first LayeredFS type of patch on the site.

Maybe an admin or mod can chime in on this topic?

I think ideally they could be distributed as a "diff" patch (smaller and less prone to legal concerns), but someone would need to create a tool that takes the original ROM (.cia or .3ds) and the patch, and generates the layeredFS files (so not patching the binary ROM). It would basically amount to opening up the FS of the ROM, extracting the specific files to be modified, and patching those. Then these modified files can be loaded on the layeredFS structure by the user.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 12:46:19 pm by raw »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about LayeredFS patches for N3DS
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 07:52:54 pm »
I expect the 3DS doesn't qualify as sufficiently discontinued yet for patches to be hosted here. But the day will probably come eventually.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

raw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 05:50:55 am »
I guess it's only been a few years since the 3DS has been officially considered discontinued. Maybe when the eShop closes down (Jan 2022), it could be considered abandoned enough?

I'm mostly worried about preservation. I'm afraid if we wait longer these 3DS hacks/patches/utilities will be lost to time, since they are either one-offs or not popular enough (as hacking new games is harder, therefore less popular).

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 10:40:18 am »
Maybe when the eShop closes down (Jan 2022)
Eh? Something's happening in January, but I very much doubt they will be shutting down the eShop completely.
https://screenrant.com/nintendo-3ds-wii-u-eshop-close-2022/

I'm mostly worried about preservation. I'm afraid if we wait longer these 3DS hacks/patches/utilities will be lost to time, since they are either one-offs or not popular enough (as hacking new games is harder, therefore less popular).
That's probably fair. A lot of this stuff seems to be a lot more ephemeral than it used to be.  But you're always welcome to collect these things yourself if you're worried no one else is.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!