News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Background insertion into Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate (SNES)  (Read 1794 times)

Lucas Dext5r

• RomHacker brasileiro.
    • View Profile
    • 16-bit City
Background insertion into Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate (SNES)
« on: August 05, 2021, 01:28:39 pm »

This is a screenshot that I don't think has been shared on forums or websites yet, but it was taken from EGM (issue 73) of the showing the stage of the cemetery present only in some lost prototype. I keep the slightest hope that the beta available on the internet (July 13, 95) has preserved the tiles and colors of the stage in its ROM, but I can't say anything. This same rom also has the "run" bar yellow, but the "wins" symbol is below the energy bar, not on top as in the prototype version, and the level is not there either  :P.

Regarding this conversation about BGs, I found these topics which I find very interesting: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24442.0
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22321.0

My question is: is there any software currently where I can "draw" a custom stage, convert to SNES (4/8BPP) format and distribute tile by tile in MK3 for example?

I know where the backgrounds of this ROM are distributed and how they work, maybe I could share this (I have a video in Portuguese)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 01:46:32 pm by Lucas Dext5r »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Background insertion into Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 09:27:46 am »
"and the level is not there either"
Are you sure? Something being commented out but left in the demo/beta is probably going to be more common than something being commented out but left in the final release. Bust out that tile editor and have a look.

Otherwise yeah then creative reinterpretation*, hoping it is in some other version (that cross grave stone might have bothered that era of Nintendo, Sega or arcade could be a different matter), hoping the asset got repurposed (a la mario cloud and bush or in another thing, or used in a later game).

Afraid I have not looked into Mortal Kombat tools to know what goes for background editing (most of any fighting game tending to be concerned with characters and moves), though if you already know where such things are located then basic tile editing is not glamorous but it will allow you to get it done.

*even ignoring the picture there being taken with possibly a late 90s mobile phone you also have it being at a jaunty angle which makes it more fun still.

Lucas Dext5r

• RomHacker brasileiro.
    • View Profile
    • 16-bit City
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 03:55:19 pm »
"and the level is not there either"
Are you sure? Something being commented out but left in the demo/beta is probably going to be more common than something being commented out but left in the final release.

Yes, but as I said, I could be wrong. Anyway, I've already investigated the entire ROM and I haven't found anything related to the background :P. However, both in the prototype version and in the final version there is a sprite that says "Graveyard", I even recorded a video talking about it:
https://youtu.be/rFgZNelpl7k

It's important to say that I don't use specific block editors, but I can only insert Mortal Kombat 3 stages through hexadecimal editors, copying and distributing the content along with the colors (palette), as i did in UMK3 deluxe. Anyone interested, I'll explain it here: https://youtu.be/bK6Vy6ThkFc

Hopefully one day I can convert the Graveyard stage to SNES format (and MK3/Ultimate compatible) with the isolated parts and distribute it block by block as well as the bits of colors!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 04:18:40 pm by Lucas Dext5r »

Lucas Dext5r

• RomHacker brasileiro.
    • View Profile
    • 16-bit City
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 11:40:02 am »

Kombat Tomb [very glitch]

Lucas Dext5r

• RomHacker brasileiro.
    • View Profile
    • 16-bit City
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 07:56:36 pm »
The closest image to what would be the first beta version of the MK3 for SNES.