News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Rom Hacking GB Games with no programming skills?  (Read 805 times)

Eiscue

• View Profile
Rom Hacking GB Games with no programming skills?
« on: August 10, 2021, 01:16:22 pm »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if I should even attempt making a rom hack of Pokemon Red Version with no programming skills. Recently I found an extremely well made sheet of Gen 8 Pokemon in the style of Gen 1 and since I love the old games I had the idea of either replacing some of the old Pokes with the new ones or replaxing ALL of them with Gen8 Pokes. In an editor I managed to already change the logo that appears when you launch the game and I read a thread somewhere on this forum explaining how to put Pokemon Yellow sprites into pokemon Red/Blue and I think I am easily capable of that after learning hexadecimal coding.

However, I know nothing about programming at all. I am a quick learner. I thought the whole thing might not be that hard since switching out the Pokemon is literally the only thing I want to accomplish. You guys think I can do it or maybe even are willing to help me either with the game or help me learn.

Every advice and opinion is very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Eiscue

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Rom Hacking GB Games with no programming skills?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 03:05:59 pm »
The Pokemon games have been hacked to bits at this point and I expect you should be able to find convenient tools for almost anything you might want to do without knowing any programming. (I like to say that you can tell whether something is easy or impossible by looking at how many people are already doing it – and this is a case where there are definitely a whole lot of people doing it.)

The Pokemon games are unique in that regard when it comes to GB games.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!