News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: How would I make an IPS file work?  (Read 472 times)

TrashBoat

• View Profile
How would I make an IPS file work?
« on: August 02, 2021, 05:18:38 pm »
Hello,

As part of a bigger Romhacking project, I made colorblind palettes for Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. I was gonna just upload the pzf.04 files and let folks replace them, but i saw TheColorsGuy, who released a colorblind patch for this game already, used a pzf.ips file. How would I use that for my project?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: How would I make an IPS file work?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 10:45:41 pm »
So, to be clear: the arcade ROM is distributed as a bunch of files, and you modified one named pzf.04, right?

So, all you need to do to make an IPS file is to get a program like Lunar IPS. Direct the program to the unmodified pzf.04, and then to your modified pzf.04, and it will make an IPS patch that people can apply to pzf.04 obtained from elsewhere. Does that make sense?

(Such a pity they never released the HD Remix on Steam.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 01:53:28 pm »
The standard for arcade games is softpatching or using a clone (just like Metal Slug 2 Turbo is mslug2t) due to the parent/clone thing.  If you're using MAME you'd have to look that up, but I believe Final Burn Neo's frontend has a special function all for applying patches.

You could also shoot a question out to the Final Burn Neo devs about this; they're pretty nice, and will help you out with setting things up for running on the emu.  They might even throw it inside the database.

TrashBoat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 10:50:35 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have an hex editor that can do that, but I can check around. I was just unzipping the arcade ROM and replacing the pzf.04 files. I was considering an IPS patch, cuz that's how the other colorblind hack on this site is distributed.