News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Is Xandra no Daibouken (SNES) claimed?  (Read 1054 times)

Bismarck

• View Profile
Is Xandra no Daibouken (SNES) claimed?
« on: August 01, 2021, 11:20:24 am »
I'm thinking about trying my hand at translating this game as an initial project, but I'm not finding anything telling me if someone is already translating it. Something like a list of projects, like AGTP has on their website. From the little I read about the community here, there's no need to claim stuff like they do on manga or anime subs. But I'm asking just to be sure. It doesn't look like some long-forgotten translator will swoop in and finish his translation right when I'm at the 95% mark on mine.

I won't post it on Personal Projects for now because I'm still trying to figure out some version differences before I tackle the translation directly - I thought Whirlo was just a localization, but it's an almost completely different game. The whole story was rewritten, names changed, Xandra got an angry face when he turned into Whirlo, and they changed some stuff in the programming as well. The biggest change was that the passwords from Xandra may not work on Whirlo, even if you get a "password correct" chime. I guess that's because they rearranged the stages inside the ROM and removed some of the checkpoints.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Is Xandra no Daibouken (SNES) claimed?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 01:00:01 pm »
Didn't know anime/manga was that formalised these days. Back when (granted this was just beyond the bad old days of Real video, IRC was still the dominant chat method and not so very long before CCCP came on the scene) some groups might tackle something consistently but for the most part it was find raws on Winny and go to town.

Yeah there is nothing like it in ROM hacking, and doubt there really ever could be (the various phrases about herding cats apply just as well to ROM hackers it seems). Asking is fine though as you might get an answer from someone with it as a pet project (and it is probably one of the higher up on the list for things to tackle).
Even with that said two translations would not be the worst thing to have, especially if they have a different philosophy in the literal, liberal, pizza cats debate.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 01:05:35 pm »
For the most part if someone has claimed something and it is decades old it is because - to put it generously - they're resting on their laurels. Making some progress on it will help everyone, including other translators who perhaps need something to help motivate them.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 01:23:43 pm »
I would say the best way to go about this is to search for the game translation in google, and see if anyone's talking about progress.  A lot of translators don't give updates very often, but if the last progress update is 2+ years old and the person working on it is not active on anything else, It's safe to say no one's working on it in earnest.

RHDN is far from the only place people are working on translation patches these days, so I don't think we can really say with 100% certainty whether someone else is working on it or not.  GBAtemp, a dev's own blog/Twitter, maybe a random forum, these are other places known to be hubs for translation patch talk that aren't IRC/Discord.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 01:37:47 pm »
It's very hard to know this if you don't find any immediate info. Most groups I worked with in some capacity do everything in the shadows. You will probably not hear much about this, mainly because there aren't that many groups working on SNES projects; so, the likelihood is very low. It is still there, but I'd say maybe 10% for this particular game.

Bismarck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 04:12:40 pm »
I didn't take secrecy into account. Makes sense. I was looking through some of the news posts in the main page, and indeed during 2020 and 2021, most translations came entirely out of the blue.

Thanks for the answers.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 05:50:30 pm »
Didn't know anime/manga was that formalised these days.

It's not. Some people seem to think there's some kind of "code of conduct" for picking up series that others may or may not be working on, but they are mistaken. If someone else is working on a project and someone else decides to try their hand at it, one of them will finish first, and both may be released, and fans can decide for themselves which one they think looks better/more professional. The Super Sentai scene in particular had some real ridiculousness in the past couple of years, where a bunch of people suddenly cropped up and finished subbing series that had been pristinely unsubbed for decades, and when it came down to the last handful, one of them had a group that had posted an update about a year and some change ago saying "We've got five episodes left and then we'll release a batch!" and then never responded to anyone ever again, and another series that had been started by another group three years prior and averaged one episode released every six months. One person managed to finish both and release them, and nobody gave them any trouble at all.

Frankly, if a game is not available in English (or in this case, was completely butchered), nobody has a right to "call it" or "claim it". If you wanna work on it, go right ahead, but if they think they have the right to run anyone else off of it then they're mistaken. If you're taking forever to finish and someone else more skilled/capable than you swoops in and finishes it in half the time and releases it before you're able, that's just too bad, and you can still release your version and consider it a learning experience/practice. Some ridiculous "claim" system would just lead to a bunch of projects being "claimed" by amateurs who have no skill and no hope of ever completing a project and condemning whatever title they "claimed" to years of development hell before someone decides that it's sat long enough with no updates and decides to pick it up themselves.

If you wanna translate a game, anime, manga, movie or whatever else you feel like sharing with the English-speaking world, do it. If someone else has already done it, have a crack at it and see if you can improve on it. If someone else is already working on, put your personal touch on it and share what you think is the best version. If they get butthurt because you lapped them and released it first, then they're really too touchy and overly sensitive to be taking part in the community. Half the drama caused in the fan translation community comes from some misguided notion of people having a claim on certain projects. They get all upset over criticism, or try to run off others who decide to try their skill at the same project, or pitch a hissy fit and storm off forever when people ask why it's taking years to complete yet they still decided to scare off others who might have helped or finished quicker. We really just need to realize that this community is incredibly unofficial, and if someone wants to translate something, be it already translated, never translated or in-progress, they are 100% free to do so, and nobody can tell them not to.

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
    • a little house in the savannah
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 01:58:31 pm »
If you wanna translate a game, anime, manga, movie or whatever else you feel like sharing with the English-speaking world, do it. If someone else has already done it, have a crack at it and see if you can improve on it. If someone else is already working on, put your personal touch on it and share what you think is the best version. If they get butthurt because you lapped them and released it first, then they're really too touchy and overly sensitive to be taking part in the community. Half the drama caused in the fan translation community comes from some misguided notion of people having a claim on certain projects. They get all upset over criticism, or try to run off others who decide to try their skill at the same project, or pitch a hissy fit and storm off forever when people ask why it's taking years to complete yet they still decided to scare off others who might have helped or finished quicker. We really just need to realize that this community is incredibly unofficial, and if someone wants to translate something, be it already translated, never translated or in-progress, they are 100% free to do so, and nobody can tell them not to.
I feel like anyone should try to translate any game, claiming is a bit closed minded especially with how skill differs between people and depending on experience. If we only focused on doing the things that aren't already finished, we wouldn't have much left for people to practice their skills on after all. Like I complain and joke about the amount of FFVI translations on my Twitter, but if it seriously helps someone practice their skills in hacking and/or translating, then by all means. Don't let my curmudgeonness get in your way.

I've personally thought about translating Tales of Phantasia SNES myself, using the names from the 2012 PSX translation. Though man... I really want a retranslated Wild Arms 1&2,,, :cookie:
replace my bones with pocky and throw me down a stairwell

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 09:44:12 am »
Yeah, this "claiming" thing is a bit of a myth/relic from many years ago.  No one gets mad or anything if you beat them to the end or whatever now, there are still plenty of games to go around.  The only one time I remember where it was actually relevant was when it was used to intentionally make someone salty.