News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Technical help on text pointers! - A Ressha de Ikou, Nintendo DS  (Read 1070 times)

RType88

• View Profile
Hi all,

Tried asking elsewhere on the forum and other similar haunts but I'm fresh out of ideas.
Long story short, I want to start a translation for the Nintendo DS game A Ressha de Ikou.
I've done a bunch of graphical editing, which was simple enough, and I've put together rough translations of all the text I've found. I'm ready to get this thing underway in earnest.

The script is stored in Unicode in SCRIPT.DAT. Text is preceeded by bytes dictating the character portrait, their expression, and any instructions such as changing the bottom screen graphic. Each set of this textbox data is seperated by FF.

However, try as I might, I can't find the pointers for this data at all. I can move the location of the entire SCRIPT.DAT file by updating the FAT information, and I can expand the rom, but I won't be able to start translating until I can identify where this pointers are kept and how I can update them.

I'm at my wit's end with this stuff - I had wanted to offer a $20 reward for helping me out, but it seems that's not OK! So...I won't. Do that.
But I'd be very grateful if anyone could crack it!

I throw myself on the mercy of your expertise!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 03:45:32 pm by RType88 »

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
money for work on a project is a no-no here

RType88

• View Profile
Re: Technical help on text pointers! - A Ressha de Ikou, Nintendo DS
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 03:46:05 pm »
Ah, thanks for the heads up! I assumed the post on the rules meant trying to crowdfund was a no-no, not offering a bounty! I'll edit.

Hacker65xx

• View Profile

The script is stored in Unicode in SCRIPT.DAT. Text is preceeded by bytes dictating the character portrait, their expression, and any instructions such as changing the bottom screen graphic. Each set of this textbox data is seperated by FF.

However, try as I might, I can't find the pointers for this data at all.

Hi

A method is with BREAKPOINTS on address of text

RType88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 04:04:34 pm »
Hi Hacker65xx,

Any ideas on how to go about this on DS? It was simple enough on SNES, but really struggled to add 'read' breakpoints to the text addresses.

Hacker65xx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 04:45:53 pm »
I have never worked on DS, but debug version of NO$GBA seems good

Where is address in rom of text, in to the memory viewer ?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:51:13 pm by Hacker65xx »

RType88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 04:56:26 pm »
First text box in the game (including what I believe to be textbox metadata) starts at $0184137A. That means setting a breakpoint to $0984137A in No$gba, right?

Doing so DOES make the game hang at the point the first screen should appear, but I can't really parse from the instructions where the pointers are!

Hacker65xx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 05:14:58 pm »
what is address of the words of start menu screen ?

RType88

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 05:58:16 pm »
The start menu screen (with the logo on the top screen and ゲームを始まる button is all graphics, it isn't script text.

The first text that appears when you start is "はじめましてり私が…" - the first character は is at $01841388, but there's a few bytes before that which dictate the character portrait and their expression, so I think the pointer will actually be pointing at $0184137A.