Tried asking elsewhere on the forum and other similar haunts but I'm fresh out of ideas.
Long story short, I want to start a translation for the Nintendo DS game A Ressha de Ikou.
I've done a bunch of graphical editing, which was simple enough, and I've put together rough translations of all the text I've found. I'm ready to get this thing underway in earnest.
The script is stored in Unicode in SCRIPT.DAT. Text is preceeded by bytes dictating the character portrait, their expression, and any instructions such as changing the bottom screen graphic. Each set of this textbox data is seperated by FF.
However, try as I might, I can't find the pointers for this data at all. I can move the location of the entire SCRIPT.DAT file by updating the FAT information, and I can expand the rom, but I won't be able to start translating until I can identify where this pointers are kept and how I can update them.
I'm at my wit's end with this stuff - I had wanted to offer a $20 reward for helping me out, but it seems that's not OK! So...I won't. Do that.
But I'd be very grateful if anyone could crack it!
I throw myself on the mercy of your expertise!