News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [Solved][Technical][NES]Bloody Warriors Monster Name Pointer Hacking  (Read 757 times)

BlackPaladin

• View Profile

I've made a substantial amount of work on my Bloody Warriors addendum patch, but I've reached the point where I have hit a roadblock.  After finding the location where the monsters' names appear on the battle menu and making the names reappear again, I am at the point where I have to modify the area so that I can get names (up to 6 character as the battle menu permits) to appear on screen. 

For example:  The monster name "Guard" as it currently stands only has five characters, but according the ROM, it takes up to six.  I want to use that extra space next door to be moved to the next monster's name, General (Gene) to that spot.  However, if I replace the empty space with an FF and change the next spot to a "G" and type in the next four characters "ener", the name "ener" will be displayed in the battle menu when that monster is encountered. (Shown in the image below)

I currently need help to figure how the heck can I made those names fit and be displayed in the battle menu (again, up to six characters).  Finding the pointer tables is a bit of a pain for me as read the current documentation on it, and I cannot figure out what pointer system this part of the game uses (let alone what system the game uses at this point.)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/6zk1mc

Here's a link that contains an IPS patch and my table file which I use to edit Bloody Warriors: Shango no Gyakushuu (a.k.a.: Bloody Warriors: Shan-Go Strikes Back).  The ROM, of course, is not included, but this patch uses the same ROM that the ded302/snark patch uses.  You'll have to find that yourself.

Edit:  After posting this ad, I'm playing through Bloody Warriors AGAIN and finding more untranslated text.  My addendum patch will be updated to reflect the changes in the future.  I still need help with the pointers, though.  :(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 08:51:15 pm by BlackPaladin »

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: [Technical][NES]Bloody Warriors Monster Name Pointer Hacking
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 12:40:39 pm »
Here are some of the pointers

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

BlackPaladin

• View Profile
Re: [Technical][NES]Bloody Warriors Monster Name Pointer Hacking
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 08:50:54 pm »
That really helped me out!  Also, thanks to you, I was able to solve the game's pointer system in the script!  (Set X000, x-8; monster names in battle menu were Set X000, x=4)

Thanks for helping me out!  This addendum patch is almost complete!