News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ATTENTION POSTERS IN THIS BOARD  (Read 1197 times)

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
ATTENTION POSTERS IN THIS BOARD
« on: July 26, 2021, 06:15:09 pm »
When you are asking for help for "an snes game" or "a ps1 game" for the love of all that is good in this world please state what game you are working on and please give as much information you can about what you have tried. These vague posts I keep seeing do no good to anyone.

The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: ATTENTION POSTERS IN THIS BOARD
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 12:42:27 am »
I guess some people are worried that someone else will see their interest, and promptly swoop in and finish hacking the game before they can.

As if that's ever happened.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lusofonia

• My Discord: Lusofonia#3041
    • View Profile
    • Lusofonia's profile at "Fórum Unificado"
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 01:22:40 am »
Excuse me for the backseat modding, but shouldn't this be a locked sticky thread? The thread is supposed to exist for warning newcomers about this website's etiquette, not to discuss ways of treating newbies.

Edit: Seems like I misread the post, more specifically the phrase "As if that's ever happened". Basically, Jorpho talked here basically on the way the newbies act, without necessarily pointing fingers at anyone. Even still, I think it would be smarter if an admin solved this matter. Pinning the topic would be useful, as new topics could be created at any moment, thus causing this topic to go down in the list. This means less people would read it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:34:58 am by Lusofonia »
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 01:49:19 pm »
I often think those "1 post" people are trolls.

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 04:50:38 pm »
Its more that (new) people don't realize how hard and time-consuming hacking is, or they have wild, huge ideas and want them done with some easy tool that does all the work for them that doesn't exist, and they mostly likely don't know anything about programming.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 06:25:17 pm »
I guess some people are worried that someone else will see their interest, and promptly swoop in and finish hacking the game before they can.

As if that's ever happened.

To be fair it has both happened to me and I have done it to others for some of the simpler things when tinkering mainly just led to it being doable in a short amount of time.

For the most part nobody cared; everybody had a new hacked game to play.

JKPhage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 06:01:19 pm »
To be fair it has both happened to me and I have done it to others for some of the simpler things when tinkering mainly just led to it being doable in a short amount of time.

For the most part nobody cared; everybody had a new hacked game to play.

This. And frankly, why would you care? Finish your own version and release it too. Worst case scenario is that we have two versions of the same game available, and if people behave like grown adults, they might even work together and say "Hey, I like what you did with that font, but I think this little menu tweak I made to improve gameplay really steps it up, wanna swap notes?" and maybe end up collaborating to create a joint effort patch that gives us the best of both worlds and has two people polishing up the translation/localization.

As much as I appreciate fan translators and hackers, I have no particular loyalty to any of them. If I want to play a game that isn't available in English and someone releases it, I don't care if they stepped on someone elses toes. I still get to play the game, and unless it's a complete hackjob compared to progress that's been shared by someone else, I'm more than happy to just enjoy what we've got. Like, I love all the stuff that AGTP has released, and the level of quality they put into it, but believe me, if someone swung into RHDN tomorrow and dropped a quality English translation of Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, I wouldn't shed one tear for Ghideon. He's already dropped multiple projects because others have beat him to the punch, and I feel like the community could take a few lessons from those situations. If you're working on something, don't take for granted that you're the only one interested in it, and if you're taking a long time because you don't have much time to devote to the project, realize that you have zero right to be upset when/if someone else outstrips you.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 06:58:04 pm »
unless it's a complete hackjob compared to progress that's been shared by someone else,

I feel personally attacked  :D (I'm kidding, don't worry)
Yamero~~!