Gameboy Color DX Hacks (+GBC to GBA enhancement hacks)

Started by Supergamerguy, July 24, 2021, 06:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erpster2

Quote from: Green Jerry on March 24, 2022, 11:01:54 AM
Another DX hack has appeared on the section, this time the game is Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3!

based on this recent review, it appears that this hack crashes on certain emulators and when fighting certain bosses.

I only experienced a freeze/crash when playing it in BGB emulator when fighting the big bird boss (Bobo) on SS Tea Cup - not sure exactly how it happened but it did happen occasionally.  Did not experience the game crashing when beating the final boss though in BGB.

ShadowOne333

The Wario Land colorization sure was a pleasant surprise, but it really lacks some proper polish.
I guess it's expected, given the GB Colorizer is really prone to glitching games.

Hopefully down the line it can receive a proper polish like Metroid 2 EJRTQ did.

Jorpho

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on March 26, 2022, 12:51:06 PM
I guess it's expected, given the GB Colorizer is really prone to glitching games.
Did they explicitly say they used GB Colorizer? I thought it was practically useless.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ShadowOne333

Quote from: Jorpho on March 26, 2022, 02:17:39 PM
Did they explicitly say they used GB Colorizer? I thought it was practically useless.

I think so?
I'm not sure where, but I believe I did read somewhere that it was done with Colorizer.
I could be wrong though or confused it with something else.

Eggplantus

Quote from: erpster2 on March 26, 2022, 12:10:58 PM
based on this recent review, it appears that this hack crashes on certain emulators and when fighting certain bosses.

I only experienced a freeze/crash when playing it in BGB emulator when fighting the big bird boss (Bobo) on SS Tea Cup - not sure exactly how it happened but it did happen occasionally.  Did not experience the game crashing when beating the final boss though in BGB.
I've had numerous issues with both Bobo and the Genie in VisualBoyAdvance.

erpster2

Quote from: Eggplantus on March 26, 2022, 09:43:29 PM
I've had numerous issues with both Bobo and the Genie in VisualBoyAdvance.

just with VisualBoyAdvance, Eggplantus?

I did NOT experience those problems with Wario Land DX when playing it in VisualBoyAdvance-M stable 2.1.4.  Fought Bobo with Dragon Wario (just "burn" that big bird & his little chicks, heehee) and beating the Genie did not crash the game in VBA-M 2.14.  I might also want to test it in an updated VBA-M nightly build to be sure it works (or not)

Green Jerry

Another DX hack has appeared on the section, this time it's King James Bible, a bible game by Wisdom Tree.

I wasn't expecting this!
My latest Portuguese translation: Titanic (NES)

skite2001

Warioland dx is not Bad. I would call it a raw diamond. It cant compete with toruzz patches, but it's a good start. I hope somebody could Patch the mbc1, to make it compatible with mbc5 flashcards.

EvilJagaGenius

I know the GB Turrican ports aren't very good, but I wonder how much they would improve if somebody hacked color into them?  From a glance it looks like a lot of the problem is that it's hard to pick out shots and enemies on the monochrome screen.  It might also be easier to change Universal Soldier back into Turrican 2 there than, say, on the Genesis.
My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Eggplantus

Quote from: erpster2 on March 31, 2022, 08:30:41 AM
just with VisualBoyAdvance, Eggplantus?

I did NOT experience those problems with Wario Land DX when playing it in VisualBoyAdvance-M stable 2.1.4.  Fought Bobo with Dragon Wario (just "burn" that big bird & his little chicks, heehee) and beating the Genie did not crash the game in VBA-M 2.14.  I might also want to test it in an updated VBA-M nightly build to be sure it works (or not)
Well, I also had issues with the Genie in mGBA for 3DS and in 3DS Virtual Console.

erpster2

Quote from: Eggplantus on April 05, 2022, 12:05:51 AM
Well, I also had issues with the Genie in mGBA for 3DS and in 3DS Virtual Console.

see latest review by ShadowOne333 - also encountered problems in mGBA and its RetroArch equivalents as well.

also tested it in mGBA 0.9.3 on my system and encountered various problems, especially graphical glitches and some auto save bugs [heck, the playing the original Wario Land 1 non-dx game in mGBA, saves does not always work or remembered after power off and then power on].  most of those problems did not occur with BGB and VBA-M as those emus seem to handle Wario Land 1 DX well along with the original Wario Land game

Brutapode89

Is this document needed to learn the Game Boy games colorization for other graphics and not only texts?

https://www.romhacking.net/documents/872/

Jorpho

Quote from: Brutapode89 on April 20, 2022, 08:44:52 PM
Is this document needed to learn the Game Boy games colorization for other graphics and not only texts?

https://www.romhacking.net/documents/872/
QuoteThis document attempts to be a guide for completely beginners to start their path in the romhacking and edition of fonts and sprites (in addition, it explains a basic palette search and edition).
That does not have anything in particular do do with Game Boy colorization at all.  Game Boy colorization typically involves adding completely new code.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Supergamerguy

Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars > 10 > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

EvilJagaGenius

Perhaps Toruzz's Github page for SMLDX would be a good resource for learning how to do colorizations.  https://github.com/toruzz/SuperMarioLandDX
My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Green Jerry

One more DX hack has appeared on the section. This time it's Bomb Jack!

Also, King James Bible DX still isn't added to the list!
My latest Portuguese translation: Titanic (NES)

Supergamerguy

Quote from: Green Jerry on April 26, 2022, 08:16:07 AM
One more DX hack has appeared on the section. This time it's Bomb Jack!

Also, King James Bible DX still isn't added to the list!

Both have been added now
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars > 10 > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

marc_max

Supergamerguy

Added a link to the ongoing Mega Man III DX project by Tails Gaming Power. Make sure to check it out!