News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Looking for some programming insight regarding Breath of Fire IV (PSX or PC) JP  (Read 1111 times)

SpyroChr

• View Profile
Hello, like the title implies, I am looking for someone with the programming knowledge on translating the JP version of Breath of Fire IV (either PSX or PC) into English. The reason for that is that certain scenes were cut out completely or partially from the ENG version, resulting in a less impactful experience compared to the JP version of the game.

Thankfully, I have a translation of these scenes in text format (thanks to Lazarus_DS), but I have absolutely no idea how/if they're even able to get injected into the game, along with the official ENG text, resulting in a complete ENG translation, with those extra scenes.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

tvtoon

• View Profile
I never tried to go far away in this game, except for playing, but I can tell you that it is not a complicated one for translating: uses mostly ASCII and, if I recall well, Shift-JIS. Well, perhaps for the extra space you will need to raise your bar, because the game uses that lonely binary image for CD data, so you will need help extracting and mounting the CD image.

I don't know if it uses the same archive format as BOF3, there is a new documentation for that one good enough to check.  ;)

SpyroChr

• View Profile
Ah, I see. Thanks for responding. Does this mean it is doable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffBff_uPK5s This video showcases all the altered/missing cutscenes from the Japanese version, and I actually have the translation in hand for all of them, like I said, in text format. I am not a programmer myself, just a fan, so I don't think I would understand any technical terms, nor would I be able to do this myself without some serious help from an actual programmer.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 11:44:23 am by SpyroChr »

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
You may want to post in the help wanted section saying that you have translated the scenes in question and would like someone to handle hacking the game for you.

SpyroChr

• View Profile
Sure. I posted it in there! Hopefully it's doable.

Drag0nscythe

• View Profile
Thought to mention, besides the 4 cut scenes from the english/international version; there was also a skill called Identify cut due to reasons.

https://tcrf.net/Breath_of_Fire_IV

SpyroChr

• View Profile
I'll pass that to the person who undertook the project. Thanks.